Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Miles Of Wood to 6-year deal × $2.5M AAV

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They returned him specifically in 13-14 to play center in Halifax. They basically demanded it of the team so he wouldn't stay in the NHL. 14-15 was the transition year for him at wing as a rookie (Tampa almost always breaks in their centers with a year on the wing). When the playoffs rolled around, ironically, they caused a stir when they played Marchy over Drouin because he was more effective (this started a chain of events off the ice). They wanted to work him to work on things to play center that summer. Worked with him at that camp at center, but it clearly wasn't there. So they put him back at wing to start as the friction between parties was already there. Upon the demotion to Syracuse, he was told to play center and Zettler was told to keep him there. This lead to the walkout and trade request. Upon his return, one of the softening of demands from Tampa was to let him play wing. Were Drouin played and played pretty well for Syracuse upon his return. He then had his fantastic playoffs that season upon his return to Tampa.

16-17 he was penciled in, again, to play center and they flirted with it in camp... but it was clear it wasn't going to work. They pushed him to wing for the majority of this season, even when Stammer got hurt. This is when Point emerged and Gourde was playing so well in the AHL that he was going to be given a chance. With the opportunity to sell high, they took it and Montreal started the center drama all over again.

I honestly feel a bit for Drouin in this. He knew center wasn't his spot, teams kept trying to force it and it certainly had a large impact on his career.

Your memory is impeccable lol. Makes sense why I don't remember him playing center in the NHL.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It would definitely be an adventure, but Bednar going full Roy might be worth it. 😆
It's sooo much funnier when getting dressed down by someone with an accent.

God, there was this JO in the Navy, we used to piss him off just to hear him rant on us. We'd start giggling and it would just drive him crazier, compounding the whole situation.

Submariners can be pricks...what can I say?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Probably cause you're seamen trapped in a phallus.
Thankfully as a Nuke Machinist Mate, I was never a seaman. I went in a fireman, E-3, and became a petty officer (E-4) as soon as I finished nuke power school, even before getting to my boat. *LOL* Nobody is below e4 on a submarine, which is one of the major drawbacks. There is no menial labor force, so everybody (officers included) is involved in the shit work like field days and deep cleans.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I finished nuke power school

A young ET rolling up to the boat like...

giphy.gif

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Shouldn't be any complaints about the term. The way he's playing they're lucky to have this for 6 years at $2.5M. AAV is only going to get better as the cap rises.

Between Wood and Colton, CMac has given the Avs a true 3rd line for the first time in a long time, for 4-6 years. Great additions.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Shouldn't be any complaints about the term. The way he's playing they're lucky to have this for 6 years at $2.5M. AAV is only going to get better as the cap rises.

Between Wood and Colton, CMac has given the Avs a true 3rd line for the first time in a long time, for 4-6 years. Great additions.
Cant remember the Avs having a third line that had this chemistry. 31 goals combined between LOC, Colton and Wood through 49 games is pretty good production.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cant remember the Avs having a third line that had this chemistry. 31 goals combined between LOC, Colton and Wood through 49 games is pretty good production.

The KGB line like 20 years ago is probably the last one. And I think this one is better, because they keep consistently putting the puck in the net.

Not having to worry about the 3rd line for a while, when it caused them issues for a long time, is a fairly big deal from a team building perspective.

If LOC can maintain his level of play, and the Avs can re-sign him to a reasonable deal this summer, they could have an elite 3rd line for a pretty good price. Or Kovalenko works out on his $896k ELC for a year, before getting a small raise for 1-2 years that takes him to UFA.

Either one would be huge for this team with its cap issues moving forward.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Am I the only one that doesnt have an issue with the term? I mean the final 2 years could be a problem but it could also be fine. I like Wood and I think LOC does aswell.
Not at all. I love Miles Wood. Gritty, fast, goal scoring touch, heart and soul guy that others love. What's not to love about the dude. He's the kind of guy I'd want on every 3rd line on my team every year. But I was championing him to the Avs for years. His speed and grit were things this team always needs and love his compete level.

Reactions: Snow Arc

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Am I the only one that doesnt have an issue with the term? I mean the final 2 years could be a problem but it could also be fine. I like Wood and I think LOC does aswell.
I mean, I dont really care about the term because we're going to be well beyond our contender window by the time the last few years get here....

But its a bad contract for sure and the term is largely why. Paying a 4th liner $2.5M when you can get similar quality of play for half that is an issue even if its only a $1M issue. It all adds up.

But for now he's been good and that's all that matters given our cup window.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I mean, I dont really care about the term because we're going to be well beyond our contender window by the time the last few years get here....

But its a bad contract for sure and the term is largely why. Paying a 4th liner $2.5M when you can get similar quality of play for half that is an issue even if its only a $1M issue. It all adds up.

The bolded is true only if you keep looking at him as a 4th liner but he is not. He is a 3rd liner.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Wood's scoring pace (not just this year either) is in the range of 15g and/or 30pts. Which is quite solidly NHL 3rd line production. He is simply not a 4th line player.

One of the best contracts on the team right now.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The KGB line like 20 years ago is probably the last one. And I think this one is better, because they keep consistently putting the puck in the net.

Not having to worry about the 3rd line for a while, when it caused them issues for a long time, is a fairly big deal from a team building perspective.

If LOC can maintain his level of play, and the Avs can re-sign him to a reasonable deal this summer, they could have an elite 3rd line for a pretty good price. Or Kovalenko works out on his $896k ELC for a year, before getting a small raise for 1-2 years that takes him to UFA.

Either one would be huge for this team with its cap issues moving forward.
The way LOC is producing, he will more than double his salary on his next contract.

Also one of the best contracts on the team right now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The bolded is true only if you keep looking at him as a 4th liner but he is not. He is a 3rd liner.

I dont care to debate the 3rd liner versus 4th liner stuff right now... I dont feel strongly about it either way.

However, I'm pretty clearly not talking about right now in that post. His contract is fine right now for what he brings. It will be a problem in the second half.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I dont care to debate the 3rd liner versus 4th liner stuff right now... I dont feel strongly about it either way.

However, I'm pretty clearly not talking about right now in that post. His contract is fine right now for what he brings. It will be a problem in the second half.
Theres a solid chance that by the second half of that contract it’ll be Makar and a pile of bad contracts anyways

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Fair enough but I don't think it was clear as evidence from ABasin's post and mine. I just took your comment as "For now he has been good for a 4th liner..."

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
If Wood plays like a 3rd liner for 3 years, then the contract is more than fine. Where the cap will be in 4 years time will be interesting. Assuming there's no freeze again, the minimum player contract could be 1.2 million by then.

I think this is a very sneaky good depth contract that'll last for the rest of our window. It's like Landy's contract. It wasn't designed to age well. It's to win now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad