Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Josh Anderson & Travis Barron to ELC's

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I'm not too up on all the Avs prospects so I just know Morrison has had a pretty mediocre couple seasons at ND but is he really thought of as being a lost cause as an NHL guy already?
To me he is. Hasn't improved at all since he was drafted and lacks everything other than his shot+size which he had since he was drafted. Both him and Barron are mid 6 ahlers most likely but Barron has the defensive game and edge to maybe make it as a 4th line energy guy if given a chance. Maybe Morrison will drastically improve this summer and have a big 3rd year but I wouldn't count on it

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Okay that was my general impression as well, I know sometimes people have sort of hard and fast opinions on players so it can be tough to tell when you're seeing that, or a consensus has sort of been established when you don't keep as deep of tabs as other do.
Don't listen to Landy he's pretty much anti-NCAA or anti-everything which is not CHL or has a red Leaf on it. As Hench said he's definitely the most likely to become an NHLer of these three prospects. Didn't have a productive season per se, but could be because he was boosted on the 1st line as a sophomore compared to last year (was on the 3rd line). So he played against the team's toughest line, either that be their top line or shutdown line along with their best defencive pairing. Next season should give us a better example of where he is in terms of a prospect. One aspect I am not really liking is his lack of puck skills. Perhaps Avs see him as a bottom 6 grinder in the future, but if he wants to be anything more he needs to work on his stickhandling, especially considering that being around the opposing net is a big part of his game.

E:
FYI: His freshman season was very good, wasn't mediocre.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Morrison's freshman year wasn't that much different than Bower's... now Bower's is the better prospect for a a number of reasons, but Morrison has had a good season and a mediocre season. As SEPH said, the puck skills are the real concern right now. He needs to develop further in that area to ultimately be a top 6 player (I think this is unlikely at this point). What Morrison does well is that he is a straight line player that crashes the net well and in tight can score goals. His shot is sneaky good at times too. I don't think it is the best talent comparison by any stretch, but he has the potential to have a McGinn like impact.

Reactions: ArWKo and S E P H

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, I see Morrison as a future third liner who will pot some goals and be a net front presence, maybe fill in on the second line to be a third wheel but not a top sixer on a good team. McGinn is a good comparable for the role he could conceivably fill. He's got some stuff to work on still but I don't see why he can't right now.

As for Barron, I really don't see NHL upside there. Just not enough offense for even a 4th liner. He's a high character guy who no doubt will be a fan favorite on the Eagles, but I'll be surprised if he plays an NHL game.

Anderson I'm pretty meh on too. With his puck skills, he will have to be elite defensively to make up for it, and I'm not sure I see that potential in him. As long as we spent the pick on him though, we may as well see what we have and make the best of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad