Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Josh Anderson & Travis Barron to ELC's

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Beat by seconds!

Yay I guess... not sure either should have been signed, but the Avs have the contract room and Barron will be a leader for a minor league team early in his pro career.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not the defenseman and forward I was hoping to get news on but that's cool. Congrats to them on getting their contracts.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, I am both a little surprised and unsurprised that they were signed. The Avs do have the contract room, and with the new AHL team and all, I guess it can't hurt to see if they squeeze something out of either.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not unexpected, but cool. I'm interested to see what Anderson looks like in the AHL. Is he just another Geertsen or does he actually have bottom pair potential? Barron I have few hopes for. If he becomes a character bottom sixer for the Eagles that'll be a success.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Barron is going to compete in the Patrick Bordeleau tier of character AHL bottom sixers, wonder how he'll do. Probably becomes a fan favourite at the very least.

As for Anderson, he'll get his shot but the likelihood that he tops out as anything more than Mason Geertsen 2.0 is very, very low. With the way the NHL is trending, there are fewer and fewer roster spots for big stonehanded plugs.
It'll be nice to see him stick up for our boys down there in that hectic league.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Too bad Travis probably never come close to the player his uncle was, but I do like him. An honest player and a hard worker. I hope he does well in the organization.

Neilstrong218

Mar 29, 2018
Then bring him.
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/smakk.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/smakk.png

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Good for both of them. Anderson was a borderline sign but where he was drafted the Avs obviously like something about him and Barron definitely earned a contract. Anderson best case is a Siemens but Barron could become a 4th liner if given a chance. Most likely a mid 6 ahler but better chance of making it than a Morrison or Smirnov.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Should be good depth guys in the AHL and protection for our skill guys that make their way through there

Nothing wrong with that

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So that's 5 under contract from 2016, and 5 from 2015 (it was 6 before Mironov was sent home), correct? I don't recall the Avs signing quite that many to ELCs in the past, but maybe it's just me. Obviously a hell of a lot more signed than in 2014. Seems like encouraging news at least.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
So that's 5 under contract from 2016, and 5 from 2015 (it was 6 before Mironov was sent home), correct? I don't recall the Avs signing quite that many to ELCs in the past, but maybe it's just me. Obviously a hell of a lot more signed than in 2014. Seems like encouraging news at least.
3 have a ELC(Jost, Barron and Anderson) and Werner probably getting one soon but ATO as of now. Morrison and Clurman the other 2 picks

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Beat by seconds!

Yay I guess... not sure either should have been signed, but the Avs have the contract room and Barron will be a leader for a minor league team early in his pro career.
Eh, I think we're always going to agree to disagree here. Barron is worth an ELC and has some tools which can eventually find himself in the NHL. That's pretty substantial for a 7th round pick. I am actually quite curious why majority of the people here think that Toninato is somehow a lock for the future, but Barron is going to bust it up? I think they're quite similar players and not a lot of differences between them.

They obviously reached for Anderson, you guys seriously think that a player they really reached for and probably like wasn't going to get an ELC? I am still not the biggest Josh fan, but he's had a pretty productive season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eh, I think we're always going to agree to disagree here. Barron is worth an ELC and has some tools which can eventually find himself in the NHL. That's pretty substantial for a 7th round pick. I am actually quite curious why majority of the people here think that Toninato is somehow a lock for the future, but Barron is going to bust it up? I think they're quite similar players and not a lot of differences between them.

They obviously reached for Anderson, you guys seriously think that a player they really reached for and probably like wasn't going to get an ELC? I am still not the biggest Josh fan, but he's had a pretty productive season.

I'm sure we are... I don't really see any skill in Barron's game and players without a semblance are a dying breed in the NHL. He's a great leader and a hard worker... there isn't any doubt about that, but that is his whole value. I think he can carve out a solid AHL career and be a real leader within an organization that way. There is certainly value within that. I'm not sure it is worth a NHL contract on the outset, but I can understand it with the contract room. As long as they don't start bumping up against a contract limit, there is no issue. Personally, I would have tried to bring him in on an AHL deal for a year and see how he transitioned instead, but this isn't a big deal.

FTR I don't think Toninato will be in the NHL for long.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Good for both of them. Anderson was a borderline sign but where he was drafted the Avs obviously like something about him and Barron definitely earned a contract. Anderson best case is a Siemens but Barron could become a 4th liner if given a chance. Most likely a mid 6 ahler but better chance of making it than a Morrison or Smirnov.

I'm not too up on all the Avs prospects so I just know Morrison has had a pretty mediocre couple seasons at ND but is he really thought of as being a lost cause as an NHL guy already?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not too up on all the Avs prospects so I just know Morrison has had a pretty mediocre couple seasons at ND but is he really thought of as being a lost cause as an NHL guy already?

He shouldn't be... Morrison is a better prospect by a decent amount.

Reactions: Barklez

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm still waiting for Anderson to prove me wrong. I hated this pick the second it was made. I'll be happy to eat crow if he turns out being a better option than Nemeth. Even if he turns out being a great AHL player for the Eagles it was still a waste of a 3rd round pick.

If Barron can become Toninato with more offense I'll be very happy. That's a good outcome for a 7th round pick.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
He shouldn't be... Morrison is a better prospect by a decent amount.

Okay that was my general impression as well, I know sometimes people have sort of hard and fast opinions on players so it can be tough to tell when you're seeing that, or a consensus has sort of been established when you don't keep as deep of tabs as other do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad