Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jarome Iginla (3 years, $16M)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On a good chunk of other teams, either one would be a first line.... so why can't they both be 1st lines? :nod:

I really hope Iggy works with Duchene as it provides nice balance, but my doubts are pretty well known on the subject. (I really hope I am wrong)

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
As it stands, I like ROR-Dutchy-Iggy.

We'll see if Tangs can stay healthy; if not, the options for the top two lines become a lot more intriguing (in my opinion).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
On a good chunk of other teams, either one would be a first line.... so why can't they both be 1st lines? :nod:

I really hope Iggy works with Duchene as it provides nice balance, but my doubts are pretty well known on the subject. (I really hope I am wrong)

I wouldn't worry about it, patty doesn't seem the type to be so affixed to balancing the lines that he'd stick with something that clearly wasn't working. So if iggy doesn't fit I doubt patty would be too hesitant about swapping him and Tanguay.

Which I kinda like even more since it helps MacK adjust to his bigger role. Iggy may not defend as well as Tanguay but he's a quality defender in his own right, and having iggy and Landy going to war for him on the wings should make Mack's job a lot easier.

That's why I don't worry. We have our partnerships that we're building our lines around sorted for the top 6 (Landy and MacK, Dutchy and worth it) and we have two versatile guys who could fit as the third wheel on either line, so if we have to swap them it's not a problem.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Don't worry, you are.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Dater would always write the Landy line first last year.

IMO it was the 1st line. If I was writing lines, I would put the line that plays against the top players 1st. Same as the defenders. That was Stastny, Mac, and Landy last season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Figured Iggy deserved a little love, netting a goal in each of the last three games, all of them big ones. He's really been leading the way for this struggling team lately.

He's finally starting to develop a little chemistry with Duchene too, which is huge. If Iggy can get something going with him, and not rely on Tangs too much, it will pay big dividends towards the way this team plays in the future. I'm not sure they can afford to keep Iggy and Tangs together all the time, if they end up moving O'Reilly.

Iggy's slow start is insanely noticeable too. First 20 games, 2 goals, both in the same game. Last 30 games, 14 goals. Most of which has been very consistent, with a goal every other game or so.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
if we had even somewhat competent pp, iggy would be having a great season and more recognized around the league.

5on5, he's on best pace 10-11 (and not far off from that either).

goal scoring wise 5on5, it's almost identical what he did last year.

shot rate has declined but that's on avs, not iggy declining.

he's lack of speed hasn't been an issue and he's not even THAT slow. one of the few players who have played at or above expectations.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
if we had even somewhat competent pp, iggy would be having a great season and more recognized around the league.

5on5, he's on best pace 10-11 (and not far off from that either).

goal scoring wise 5on5, it's almost identical what he did last year.

shot rate has declined but that's on avs, not iggy declining.

he's lack of speed hasn't been an issue and he's not even THAT slow. one of the few players who have played at or above expectations

That was the biggest crituque of him too. He's too slow to to keep up with the Avalanche team, and he's slowing down and won't keep scoring at the rate he has been.

I haven't seen his skating be much of an issue all year, and he's leading the team in goals, and battling Tanguay for the lead in points. With his increased pace the last 30 games, he's easily on track for his usual 30 goal season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think he will hit 30 but he will lead the team in goals. He's been good for this team. Maybe they relied on him too much early on but lately he seems to have found his groove. I never was worried about the 3 year contract, he will be fine and probably be the perfect rental bait if we are not a strong playoff team by the end of it.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't think he will hit 30 but he will lead the team in goals. He's been good for this team. Maybe they relied on him too much early on but lately he seems to have found his groove. I never was worried about the 3 year contract, he will be fine and probably be the perfect rental bait if we are not a strong playoff team by the end of it.

I'd say team relied too much on Landy/Duchene/MacKinnon/ROR at the start of the season. They sucked the first 20 games. Now they are playing on better level.

Everyone knows Iginla is slow starter.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Nice thread Necro.

How's your shirt taste? :sarcasm:
He has spent a good chunk of the year at center, so not eating it just yet. And when ROR is traded, he'll probably be back there. His defensive game has looked better this year, positioning and what not.

There's a lot of players on the Avs who could learn from Iginla on how to find the soft spot in the defense for your shot. That goal last night was a perfect example. He went from the corner right to a dead space and made himself available.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I made this point last game, but I wonder if Cammalleri would have been a better fit on this team. Or in addition to Iggy. I have thought he was a really under rated winger. Good goal scorer with a great shot. He is younger and skates better than Iggy does but obviously doesn't have any physical element at all. It wasn't a criticism of Jerome, but the 3rd year of his contract it may be different.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Iggy scored 2G in his first 20 games. He has 14G in his last 30. At this pace he has a chance to score 30 this year.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I made this point last game, but I wonder if Cammalleri would have been a better fit on this team. Or in addition to Iggy. I have thought he was a really under rated winger. Good goal scorer with a great shot. He is younger and skates better than Iggy does but obviously doesn't have any physical element at all. It wasn't a criticism of Jerome, but the 3rd year of his contract it may be different.
Cammalleri really isn't a much better skater. He also seemingly misses 15 games a season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Iginla is a better and faster skater than Cammalleri is. For such a small player, one thing Cammalleri has never had is great speed. He's relied more on his high hockey IQ and good instincts while in the offensive zone to get open and be effective. I don't think he'd be a good fit for Duchene, but maybe for somebody like O'Reilly since ROR has improved his passing game immensely this season, and seems to find players with beautiful passes a lot. Cammelleri excels at finding the open space and firing away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad