Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Darren Helm, 1 year × $1M

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I'm ok with Helm for 1/1. Veteran, 4th line. And still a fast guy.

Better than PEB.

I'm more worried about our 2nd LW......

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm ok with Helm for 1/1. Veteran, 4th line. And still a fast guy.

Better than PEB.

I'm more worried about our 2nd LW......
Pretty certain Newhook is going to be locked into a top nine wing spot to start the year. I expect he’ll get a chance next to Kadri.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not a bad signing, he's an upgrade over Bellemare who he will be replacing.

Some people will never be happy, but at the end of day he wins faceoffs, can still skate well, and can PK.

It's a 1 year 1M deal, get a grip people. He's better than the guy he is replacing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Value wise, it's a solid signing. He'll be worth that 1m and we needed someone to round out the bottom six. But I'm a lot more worried about the top six right now.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The bigger question is what does that mean for Compher?

Are we really going to end up running a
Nuke - Jost - Compher 3rd line?
Jost is the weak link…Nuke is awesome on the third line, I’m ok with Compher if he’s locked into the wing. I’m really disheartened that Sakic doesn’t seem to want to upgrade that spot. Put the likes of Danault there and suddenly I think we’d have a stellar third line. Nuke and a good defensive third line centre would be a pretty amazing shutdown duo.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They can now fill out a full lineup of forwards.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - Jost - Compher
Helm - Maltsev - LOC

It makes me wonder where they’ll go with their next move. Bottom pair RHD? Or maybe a Compher trade and bring a higher-end forward?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So he can PK and win faceoffs which is good. Can he still play center?? If he can that's a win. We need players who can play C.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

mcityguy1

Sep 27, 2017
Should've signed himnto long term then trade him to Edmonton (Holland) loves older overpaid players.

1 year deal isn't bad he will help on pk he got some speed but cant stay healthy

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm disappointed by this signing.

Aside from the fact that there were much better bargain options available this off-season - Ryan Dzingel ($1.1M), Matthias Janmark ($2.0M), Corey Perry ($1.0M), or Helm's teammate Luke Glendening ($1.5M) - Helm's game has been going in the wrong direction for years. For those saying he's good at face-offs, he's won 82 draws the last four seasons - he hasn't played center for years.

Furthermore, with what little cap space Colorado possesses at this moment, I was hoping it wouldn't be used on a fourth line plug. As of this writing, the Avalanche have lost top-9 forwards Jonas Donskoi and Brandon Saad this off-season, and nothing has been done to replace them.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'm disappointed by this signing.

Aside from the fact that there were much better bargain options available this off-season - Ryan Dzingel ($1.1M), Matthias Janmark ($2.0M), Corey Perry ($1.0M), or Helm's teammate Luke Glendening ($1.5M) - Helm's game has been going in the wrong direction for years. For those saying he's good at face-offs, he's won 82 draws the last four seasons - he hasn't played center for years.

Furthermore, with what little cap space Colorado possesses at this moment, I was hoping it wouldn't be used on a fourth line plug. As of this writing, the Avalanche have lost top-9 forwards Jonas Donskoi and Brandon Saad this off-season, and nothing has been done to replace them.

I don't think you understand how important it is to give JTC and Jost more chances, this is definitely the year they figure it out!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You literally said we might not make the playoffs 2 weeks ago? lol
That was before we signed Landy when it looked like we wouldn't be signing him.

I still dont like our team right now overall, but people complaining about a good signing like this or us not signing awful players like Perry is ridiculous.

Some people are making a point to complain about everything we do.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Yet we could have had Kampf for a couple thousand more. Moving on.

With his wheels he's actually going to be effective on our PK. Also he's not a C anymore so I doubt we rely on him to take draws.

Helm-Maltsev-O'Connor isn't the worst 4th line, they all have wheels and forecheck well.

And Banting for cheaper.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Jesus these boards are unbeatable right now. You’d think we signed him to a 6 year deal or something.

What’s not to like? 1M for 1 year, fast skater, good on face offs, good on pk and good defensively.

Are you that big a Sakic groupie? Good on face offs? He took 9 last year.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Not a bad signing, he's an upgrade over Bellemare who he will be replacing.

Some people will never be happy, but at the end of day he wins faceoffs, can still skate well, and can PK.

It's a 1 year 1M deal, get a grip people. He's better than the guy he is replacing.

I think we shouldn't expect help in faceoffs from Helm because he has played 176 games during last three seasons and has taken only 175 faceoffs in that span.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad