Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Darren Helm, 1 year × $1M

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If he can play center again then ok, but that does not seem to been the case for the last few years.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hopefully Joe realized that's on 9 faceoffs last year...

(Career 51.3%. Hasn't been a main faceoff guy since 2017.)

Good call. I was looking at Natural Stat Trick and looked at the wrong guy. I thought he took a 148 draws, but that was another Wings player. :laugh:

I think he’s primarily a wing now?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Yet we could have had Kampf for a couple thousand more. Moving on.

With his wheels he's actually going to be effective on our PK. Also he's not a C anymore so I doubt we rely on him to take draws.

Helm-Maltsev-O'Connor isn't the worst 4th line, they all have wheels and forecheck well.
Add Nuke, Jost, and JTC for the 3rd line, and the bottom 6 might combine for massive 5 goals and 10 assists for the season!

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
So we only need one LW and a 3rd D.....

What can possibly go wrong....right?

Yeah almost $8 M in cap space left over should be enough to do that (actually $14 M in space if the front office had a spine).

The problem is they've let all the better UFA's go so we're now gonna get scraps. I don't think they knew they'd have this much cap space so they didn't act earlier and here we are. Signing Darren Helm.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He's coming in to play 4th line LW, is a fast skater and can kill penalties.

What's there not to like here? I think it's pretty clear Bellemare wanted 2 years and Sakic wasn't willing to go to 2 years.

Pretty much this.

It’s not really anything to get excited about, but they needed someone to go alongside Maltsev and LOC and didn’t want to commit 2 years to a 4th liner.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Helm….fits 4th line…experience…not amazing…but main fit is forecheck and PK ability. Nothing to freak out about here.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So the 4th line is shaping up to be:

Helm - Maltsev - LOC

I think that's a significant improvement over what we had in the playoffs last year.

Much better, I can't figure out who the "slowest" guy on that line is, might actually be LOC which is crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad