Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign D Sam Malinski to ELC

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know what Malinski's ceiling really is. I'm thinking he can become a reliable #5 but for right now battling against JMFJ for playing time is the right call. He needs ice time to get better, but we also need to keep both him and JMFJ in NHL game shape if we aren't getting more depth at the deadline.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If they're using Malinski and Johnson in a 6/7 sort of role I'm kind of okay with that.

They're probably not going to get a much better 6/7 option at the deadline without paying more than they'd like. JJ against the bigger more physical teams, and Malinski against the quicker teams.

With Jones playing ok for the most part as a #8, and Hunt in the minors, they may not even trade for a D now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They're probably not going to get a much better 6/7 option at the deadline without paying more than they'd like. JJ against the bigger more physical teams, and Malinski against the quicker teams.

With Jones playing ok for the most part as a #8, and Hunt in the minors, they may not even trade for a D now.
I would still like to have a legit number 6 RHD that PKs. Right now, we're really leaning on Makar as a top PKer (which he is doing well at). I'd prefer if he doesn't have to do that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would still like to have a legit number 6 RHD that PKs. Right now, we're really leaning on Makar as a top PKer (which he is doing well at). I'd prefer if he doesn't have to do that.

I would too, but I think the coaching staff actually prefers mobile puck movers on the PK.

Toews and Makar are 1 and 2 in minutes, and Girard averages 3 seconds less than Manson, and 53 seconds more than JJ.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I would too, but I think the coaching staff actually prefers mobile puck movers on the PK.

Toews and Makar are 1 and 2 in minutes, and Girard averages 3 seconds less than Manson, and 53 seconds more than JJ.
Which is fine in the regular season where you have a mix of good PPs and bad ones. In the playoffs, its only top PPs and with every opponent having good precision, its really all about block shots and muscle in front of the net. I think CMAC/Joe realizes this, we got Manson despite having EJ.

Reactions: Foppa2118

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We really need Manson and Byram to PK. Josh can and should be doing it. Bo probably needs to be coached up a little better for it. But there is no reason why those two shouldn't be able to take some of that PK TOI off of Makar and Toews. I feel like this is a little bit on Bednar for coaching every game like its game 7 of the SCF.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We really need Manson and Byram to PK. Josh can and should be doing it. Bo probably needs to be coached up a little better for it. But there is no reason why those two shouldn't be able to take some of that PK TOI off of Makar and Toews. I feel like this is a little bit on Bednar for coaching every game like its game 7 of the SCF.

Bo can PK just fine but he plays a ton of hard even strength minutes, so they're probably trying to manage it.

As I mentioned recently, Bo's 2nd on the team in EV minutes, and it's even more pronounced at 5v5. He's only 9 seconds behind Toews and 1:07 more than Girard.

Cale is actually 4th just behind G, so they're doing the opposite with him, and managing his minutes at 5v5.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
One good thing about giving Malinski a decent role is that it offsets whatever negative perception might exist with Myers. Having at least one success with college UFAs gives potential college UFAs assurance they’ll get opportunities.

Even with Myers, you can’t say the Avs didn’t give him a chance or want it to work. But you never know what they might say to each other.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
One good thing about giving Malinski a decent role is that it offsets whatever negative perception might exist with Myers. Having at least one success with college UFAs gives potential college UFAs assurance they’ll get opportunities.

Even with Myers, you can’t say the Avs didn’t give him a chance or want it to work. But you never know what they might say to each other.
I think with Myers right now they are stuck just below his limit for becoming waivers eligible. He is one or two games shy, so they are needing to decide whether to keep him with the Avs or stashed in Loveland.

Malinski is a good case for showing College UFA's there is a path to the Show with the Avs, if you've got some talent.

PS- Sam has played 21 NHL games in his young career. Maybe the coaching staff needs to start giving him some PK time. We know he belongs on PP2 for sure.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Another solid game. Had one instance of getting outmuscled on the boards but otherwise not out of place. Still making stretch passes and making mini makar plays in the o zone.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've always wondered if Ethan Bear could be that guy (yes I know, I'm still convinced he's a reasonably good depth defender and would be a great fit in Colorado) but he's not currently used on the PK in Washington. Last night on those two MacKinnon goals it appears to have been Fehervary and Jensen guarding the right side (and obviously not doing the best job). FWIW the Caps PK is literally right in the middle, ranked 16th in the league at present.

IMO unless Bednar tweaks his system (and IMO he should) then they should be looking for a depth defender that can skate, because (broken record time) that's vital to the Avs' PK on the back end at present and why they're still way too reliant on 7 and 8 to kill penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad