Speculation: Avs / Sabres Trade

Would you do this trade?

• Total voters

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Just curious. Would you trade:
Newhook, Girard and Compher for Jack Eichel?
Probably what it would take to get it done and make cap work. Is it fair or overpayment?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
The only thing that would scare me with that trade is losing Girard. Not because he's that great but with how injuries works with our dmans Byram took a huge hit last game could've easily popped his shoulder or leg, we all know EJ, Toews is on IR. I hope MacDermid will never be an option again on the backline. Play him as a forward I couldn't care less but one game as a dman was well enough for my eyes.

Reactions: Reparlana

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Yup. I think the fears of becoming the next Toronto are overblown because Toronto has never had our defensive talent. Rielly/Muzzin/Brodie are making like 15+ mill. Give them Toews/Makar/Byram and it'd be a completely different story. I also think Matthews/Marner struggling with the pressure come playoff time has had a big time impact. Matthews has 24 points in 32 playoff games, Makar has 31 points in 35 playoff games. We'd be closer to the Penguins that we would the Leafs.

We'd be paying a ton of money for a few players but they'd all be in the right spot. Two 1C's, a 1D, and two first line wingers. I'm not even C obsessed like some but the one mistake we probably made was paying two elite wingers instead of just one. If you could swap Landeskog/prospects for Eichel it gives us a better chance at a cup IMO.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Loosing G is a huge negative. His cap hit is too good to give up. We'd have to keep relying on ELCs at our #3 and/or #4 d spots, unless they're willing to retain 50%. We'll end up with an uneven team. If they're not comfortable accepting a full futures deal, I'd back out.

Reactions: McMetal

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Loosing G is a huge negative. His cap hit is too good to give up. We'd have to keep relying on ELCs at our #3 and/or #4 d spots, unless they're willing to retain 50%. We'll end up with an uneven team. If they're not comfortable accepting a full futures deal, I'd back out.
There is no way do get a deal done without clearing $9-10 million in salary

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Id only do it if Buffalo was willing to retain which they’ve stated they won’t so it’s no dice for me.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
The sabers don't intend to retain any money and haven't given out medical information. Both of these are big problems for the trade. Without Buffalo retaining we will lose more depth. Girard has one of the best contracts on our teams. Going forward it will be an issue for our team. Especially if eichel regresses at all. I would much rather stay the course and add a top 6 forward.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's a fair price. Definitely not an overpayment for Eichel. The $10M cap hit when they already have an elite 1C is the issue.

Compher's deal expires the same year as MacKinnon's, so that won't help with the cap issues then.

Wonder how much retention they can get by adding a 2023 1st+Kaut? Probably needs to be at least $2M. Friedman says Buffalo wasn't interested in retaining, but that may just be their initial posture.

Eichel's only got 5 years left on his deal. They're not competing any time soon without Eichel, so if retaining $2M x 5 gets them a good deal, they should consider it.

But the Avs don't really need to do this deal. They should be looking for a $6-7M 2C, unless Eichel falls in their lap for a good price.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
No way.

The money doesn't work long term, and Eichel has a major health concern.

As much as I complain about him, Kadri is a fine 2C. The problem is that he's Kadri, a player who's been suspended three of the last four post-seasons. If he was anyone else, he'd be a lock to re-sign.

Meanwhile, in an NHL where Seth Jones just landed a $9.5M contract, Sam Girard is a massive bargain at $5M per season for six more years. It gives Colorado such an advantage on the blue line that most other teams don't have.

Colorado's issue is they can never seem to find three guys - other than 92/29/96 - who can each put up 40+ points to assemble a decent second line (last year being the exception).

I'd rather Sakic keep the awesome defense in tact and assemble a decent 2nd line rather than cash all his chips in for Eichel so he can play on a line with Michael Bunting and Logan O'Connor.

Reactions: MarkT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would do it. I just don't think Buffalo does, because they don't have a need for Girard. Not with Dahlin and Power already.

Perhaps you get a 3rd team involved.

I think if it's gonna work here in Colorado Girard will end up being moved somewhere else for a haul of futures and then some of those futures + some of our futures get moved for Eichel.

Like strictly for an example...

Avs trade Girard to LA for Turcotte + LA 1st. Then we flip the LA 1st + Newhook + Compher + Jost to Buffalo for Eichel.

Ends up being 10.5M salary out, 10M salary back in.

Our roster after looks something like:

Landy - Mack - Mikko
Nuke - Eichel - Burakovsky
Ranta - Kadri - LOC
Helm - Maltsev - Kaut

Toews - Makar
Byram - EJ
Murray - Johnson
Barron/MacDonald/MacDermid

Reactions: missionAvs

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Just curious. Would you trade:
Newhook, Girard and Compher for Jack Eichel?
Probably what it would take to get it done and make cap work. Is it fair or overpayment?

All day long.

It would make up for us trading away ROR for nothing.

If you have a chance to get a top 5 Center you do it. No questions asked.

Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Eichel, Burakovsky and Kadri at forward with our D group would make us nearly impossible to match up against.

Reactions: Richard88

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Wouldn't give up a massive return for an injured player who wants to get a surgery that has never been performed on a NHL player. If Girard + Newhook are included I want a guaranteed elite player without any question marks.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity, am I the only one that Eichel. I'm worried about his ego. Isn't he the kid that's pretended to be GM for awhile.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Don't see why the Sabres would take that offer anyway.

I doubt there will be "better offers" than this. That´s a 1st round Pick with much potential (Newhook), a Top 4 D with a sweet caphit for years and a cap dumb, that is still miles better than most of the players Buffalo ices today. And there has to be a cap dumb for this to work.

I would do it. But i also prefer to go after Hertl.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I think Girard's contract is too good to trade away, and in the flat cap era, you need contracts like that in order to be able to invest into other roles in the team.

Plus, if you trade away Girard, we're one EJ long-term injury away from a defense that looks like (and this is assuming everyone else can stay healthy):

Toews-Makar
Byram-Murray
JMFJ-MacDonald/MacDermid/other AHLer

You're not winning the Cup with that defense. I guess in Year 1 you could use the Eichel LTIR savings to add a defensemen into the mix, but we're rapidly running out of trading chips.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Eichel's one hell of a talented player, and I'd love to see him on the Avs, but he's damaged goods right now, and no one knows if his neck will ever heal properly. So the Avs (or any team) would be taking a HUGE risk mortgaging the farm for a guy who may end up with chronic neck problems if he continues playing. Sad to say, but Eichel may be done as an NHLer.

Last edited:

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I would do it. Jack Eichel is by a mile the best player in the trade. I love Girard but having MacKinnon and Eichel down the middle is not something you say "no" to if you can do it for this price. I don't care about the injuries. If this is the ask, you say "yes," send the man to whatever surgeon he wants, get him back into the lineup, and make runs at the Cup for as long as those two are your top centremen.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I said no. Not a fan of the risk of the fact Eichel never may be himself again. I would rather have a slightly less talented player that is guaranteed to be productive for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad