Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Patrick Bordeleau (3 yrs, $1M/yr)"see post #85 for the off link "

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
i remember one time last year when he almost toe dragged someone, i think it was dallas , didn't pull it off but it's not often you see these heavies go for a high skill move.

member 116861

My favourite memory of Bordy is when he was so close to fighting a bunch of fans in Abbotsford.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Like others have said, I'm a bit surprised he got $1M. I was expecting $800-900k but that's barely much of a difference when it comes down to it.

Happy he's sticking with the team. In addition to being a great HW fighter that doesn't hurt is team, and can play a little, I think his attitude is huge for the chemistry, and keeping the team feeling like a "family."

Everyone else on the team has a little less to worry about now with big Bordy watching their backs the next few years.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
i remember one time last year when he almost toe dragged someone, i think it was dallas , didn't pull it off but it's not often you see these heavies go for a high skill move.

I remember that, he got passed one guy and was at the end of his toe drag when the guy just barely got his stick around to poke it away.

Bordeleau is like the hulk when he wants to be. I just like how happy he is to be in the NHL, he and Giggy seemed really close.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
i'm ok with the deal , Bordeleau is not an AHL player anymore and 1M is mostly what the 4th lines players are making , give or take a few K .

TPS had a good point , I think Roy enjoy having an enforcer on his roster .
i'm pretty sure that Bordeleau will have a bit more icetime with Roy that he had with sacco .

I really hope you are wrong about this. I don't mind him getting a new contract as long as he is not in the line up every night.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I like it.

Just remember everyone...for 1/3 of the cost a year and 75% of the term...he only had 4 points less than David Jones :laugh:

In all seriousness I think he does pretty well in his role. He plays hard, is physical, and a decent skater. No he isnt going to put up 20g or anything, but he is a pretty darn good energy guy and someone that is feared around the NHL.

I know some people think that his role is pointless in today's NHL and you may have a point, that said, hes better than 99% of the enforcers the Avs have had.

i think he will have a nicely defined role on the team and be well worth the cost.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I really hope you are wrong about this. I don't mind him getting a new contract as long as he is not in the line up every night.

i'm in agreement, he was getting upwards of 10 minutes a night, if anything i want duchene and pap to get more icetime.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
1M isn't going to make or break this team.

Happy with this, will be looking forward to seeing how much he's improved over the summer.

Who was the last heavyweight in the NHL that could skate as well as Bordy?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
1M isn't going to make or break this team.

Happy with this, will be looking forward to seeing how much he's improved over the summer.

Who was the last heavyweight in the NHL that could skate as well as Bordy?

I've asked this question two or three times lately, and the only name I've heard is Shawn Thronton. A bit of a difference though at 6'2" 217 lbs versus Bordy at 6'6" 225lbs.

Edit: Haha, see what I mean ^^

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He led Avs in hits with 116 and was 36th in the league last year. He had one boarding and three charging penalties, so it wasn't that bad considering he hits a bit late from time to time.

The charge on Butler was a weak call too, but I guess enforcers don't get breaks from the refs.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of the enforcer, so I'm obviously not a big fan of this move.

Bordeleau can play as a checking forward though. His ability to absolutely lay out some massive hits will force the opposing defenders to make some stupid mistakes. If they can get a solid defensive C (such as Gordon) to play with McLeod and Bordy, I think it would be absolutely deadly. McLeod is a bit faster, Bordy hits harder, a defensive C to help cover for things defensively. I think it could definitely work

EDIT: Imagine if we could get a guy like Matt Martin from the Isles. Teams would be checked into oblivion.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Bordeleau can play as a checking forward though. His ability to absolutely lay out some massive hits will force the opposing defenders to make some stupid mistakes. If they can get a solid defensive C (such as Gordon) to play with McLeod and Bordy, I think it would be absolutely deadly. McLeod is a bit faster, Bordy hits harder, a defensive C to help cover for things defensively. I think it could definitely work

EDIT: Imagine if we could get a guy like Matt Martin from the Isles. Teams would be checked into oblivion.

Matt Hendricks is a UFA. He could play minor minutes with McLeod and Bordy. And likely spend time on the PK as well.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Wish it was a 2 year contract and the cap hit was a little less, but it will be nice to have him locked up. Solid 4th liner.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm probably reading too much into this....but I'm wondering if this is apart of the "We're going to do things different here." line that Sakic told to Roy when he called him about the coaching position?

I get the sense that, while negotiations will still be treated as such, that the front office may not be "take it, or leave it" style anymore.

And perhaps they will be more inclined to side with a player for certain key parts. Case in point, I saw it reported somewhere that Bordeleau was hoping for a 3 year deal. Perhaps the team thought that Bordy was a "glue" player, that helps keep the room loose, etc. and decided to reward him?

All-in-all, it's a 3 year deal for 1M a season, that's really not going to be any sort of hindrance on the team or their Cap Number.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
LOVE LOVE LOVE this.....

1) I think Roy wants an enforcer because some nights your team needs a kick in the a** to get motivated and back into the game. This squad has looked really passionless (as definitely evidenced by their 3rd period lapses). Rather than Roy exploding on the bench, you send this cat out there to voice your frustration(s) and make statements. This team has honestly needed some nads for about the past 10 years IMO.

2) I'll take Bordeleau's occasional emotional lift to this club over Kobasew's 9 season points any day. People can bicker that he doesn't score, doesn't contribute, whatever.....But it's not like he's taking Duchene's roster spot here.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I like it, good term and the $ won't break the bank...all for a guy who will keep opponents in line, throw massive hits, and can chip in a bit offensively. When he would have the puck in the offensive zone I was seriously cheering for him to score.

Great signing IMO

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm ok with it, 1 mil is a bit more than i'd like, but I love what Bordy brings. An enforcer/energy guy that makes huge clean hits, doesn't take dumb penalties, and can keep the play in the O zone. I don't understand why people think he's a huge goon.

He won't bring a lot of points, but he's an enforcer who brings energy and isn't an offensive plague.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad