Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Logan O'Connor to 2-Year Deal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Great deal for the team and not too bad for him either. He showed that he can be Nieto's replacement moving forward.

Reactions: ljb4

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Was very impressed by him in the playoffs. For that price he can probably replace what Nieto does for about a 1/3 of what Nieto will likely make.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Wow, he made $925k last year.

Interesting deal. LOC played great and by most accounts would challenge for a permanent 4th line role next season.

He's exempt from waivers, he was arbitration eligible, and his QO was for $874,125, but he signed for the league minimum both next year and the year after with $700k and $750k.

Guess Joe had all the leverage with the uncertainty over next season, and LOC preferred the two year security over a one year QO. He gets a nice bump in AHL salary though from $70k to $200k.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Interesting deal. LOC played great and by most accounts would challenge for a permanent 4th line role next season.

He's exempt from waivers, he was arbitration eligible, and his QO was for $874,125, but he signed for the league minimum both next year and the year after with $700k and $750k.

Guess Joe had all the leverage with the uncertainty over next season, and LOC preferred the two year security over a one year QO. He gets a nice bump in AHL salary though from $70k to $200k.
Yep, he gave up more in NHL $ to get the $130k bump in AHL salary. Still think he's the 12th or 13th forward this season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Love it! Absolutely love it.

His QO was for more than this. And honestly, the way he showed in the playoffs I dont have any doubt he can be the 4th line LW replacement for Nieto next year on the opening night roster. Great speed, strong defensively, solid on the PK, teanacious forchecker, and he showed more puck skills in the playoffs then any previous time with us.

It's not a blockbuster move or anything like that, but it's going to be small, cost effective signings like this that will really help create the extra space we need to get a guy like Hall in here this year and make it work going forward, and its going to be quality role players like LOC on good deals that will also extend a potential cup window beyond the short term situation right now.

From what I thought LOC was going to get, we're looking at anywhere from ~300k-500k less then my expectations for him, that can add up pretty quickly.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Love it! Absolutely love it.

His QO was for more than this. And honestly, the way he showed in the playoffs I dont have any doubt he can be the 4th line LW replacement for Nieto next year on the opening night roster. Great speed, strong defensively, solid on the PK, teanacious forchecker, and he showed more puck skills in the playoffs then any previous time with us.

It's not a blockbuster move or anything like that, but it's going to be small, cost effective signings like this that will really help create the extra space we need to get a guy like Hall in here this year and make it work going forward, and its going to be quality role players like LOC on good deals that will also extend a potential cup window beyond the short term situation right now.

From what I thought LOC was going to get, we're looking at anywhere from ~300k-500k less then my expectations for him, that can add up pretty quickly.
I fully expected a $950k cap hit at minimum

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Fast, hungry and some edge. Absolutely love what I saw from him in the playoffs. Props to our scouts in finding him.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Extremely happy with this signing both for team and for the guy. He deserves a 4th line spot.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yep, he gave up more in NHL $ to get the $130k bump in AHL salary. Still think he's the 12th or 13th forward this season.

That's a tricky give on Sakic's part though. For LOC it could be beneficial if he gets sent down, since he'll make a lot more money in the AHL than he did before.

So it makes sense for him to value that, and the downside is probably too much to bet on himself by playing hardball for a higher NHL salary in return for less in the AHL. Knowing nothing is guaranteed.

LOC's not really expected to be sent down though, so in the end the Avs will likely end up being the only beneficiary with the lower AAV they got in return.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Amazing contract!

To get him at league minimum after that playoff showing and when he was actually due a QO of $875k is pretty nice... and for TWO years no less.

Hopefully Sakic can continue to make good moves like this the rest of the offseason.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I mean, I know he's just a 12/13 forward right now, but damn, that's a really cheap deal coming under his QO. I would have been plenty happy with 1m after the playoffs proved he belongs in the NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad