Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Kurtis MacDermid to 2-year deal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a good signing. Some other team would have signed him quickly if he became UFA. Just like Deslauriers.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like this move.

MacDermid is the definition of a fringe NHL player, but he can play multiple positions and I like that Colorado has an enforcer in the line-up. The Avs are going to need as many cheap contracts as they can get for the foreseeable future with their cap situation.

Reactions: pont and flyfysher

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
This deal doesn't start till next year. It has nothing to do with who dresses in the playoffs a month from now. 2 of those players likely won't be with the Avs next year (Helm and Cogliano)

I am aware of that lol. Extending a player for 2 additional years shows that they want him around and that could mean they want him as a lineup regular. Or maybe they don't, that's why I'm asking.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's like 250k more than an AHLer call up like Megna. Basically nothing.
I mean when we’re going to be as tight to the cap as we are coming up 250k could be important. It’s not the worst since it’ll be easy to bury but is what it is.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Secured the best fighter in the league for 2 more years, plus the room seems to absolutely love him. Love this deal.

Off topic question here...what is the suspension for jumping over the boards to defend your teammate on the ice getting pummeled? ( Stemming from the Troy Terry incident ) As I watched that clip of the Ducks getting beat up, I was thinking to myself that I'd be totally okay with Dermy jumping on the ice if that situation ever occured.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Dermy!!! :fight: Good signing. Dude is loved by his teammates!

mjL.gif

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That's a good signing. Some other team would have signed him quickly if he became UFA. Just like Deslauriers.

I think Deslauriers is better, but I think some team will sign him to a 2-3 yr x $1.5-2 mil contract.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think he earned this, his play has gotten much better over the last 2-3 months, and seems well liked in the locker room. He's a nice insurance piece. Can play forward or defense, and deters the other team from lots of BS. Happy for him.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
No problem whatsoever with this. I would prefer if he was a bit faster but if he was he would probably cost more. Being able to play him both defense or FWD is worth the little bit of extra money.

With that said if he plays any game in the playoffs when the team is healthy it needs to be at FWD.

Congrats Dermy!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Kinda surpassed it’s a 2-year deal instead of one. Either way, they’re committing to him as their 7th D now.

I think he’s been better than his underlyings indicate, and has been pretty physical of late. Like the player, but still don’t want to see him getting too many minutes when he draws in.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Legendary signing.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

In all seriousness, I like it. He's a great dude and a physical presence. As much as his skills were mocked early on, he's done everything he needs to do and with very few mistakes.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
About 100k more then I projected but not a big deal.

He isn't very good but I actually like his ability to be the 7th D or the 13th forward. Allows us to run a 22 man roster instead of 23 which effectively gives us another 800k to work with.

In terms of on the ice. He really is absolutely awful, but the Avs appreciate his toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad