Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Kurtis MacDermid to 2-year deal

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
First guy off gets 10 games, second guy gets 5 games. Both those guys get a set fine and get a "strike" against their record for future fines. What's interesting is that the rule book also says ANYONE off the bench gets 5 games. But if everyone goes off the bench, then it's not like both teams would need to forfeit their next 5 games. I imagine NHL will just make a ruling on the fly, as it often does.

Here is the text of the rule:

"The first player to leave the players’ or penalty bench illegally during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next ten (10) regular League and/or Play-off games of his tea

The second player to leave the players’ or penalty bench illegally during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next five (5) regular League and/or Play-off game

The determination as to which players shall be deemed the first or second players to have left their respective players’ or penalty benches illegally shall be made by the Referees in consultation with the Linesmen and off-ice officials. In the event that they are unable to identify the offending players, the matter will be referred to the Commissioner or his designee.

Any player who leaves the penalty bench illegally during an altercation and is not the first player to do so, shall be suspended automatically without pay for the next five (5) regular League and/or Play-off games."

So what the rule is saying is make sure JTC is off the bench first, then MacDermid, then everyone else because they can’t suspend everyone :sarcasm:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
This isn't necessarily true. Might have been at the beginning of the year, but not now. There are quite a few players who are actually worse than him. A lot of them populate the rosters of teams like Arizona and Philadelphia.
He isn't going to improve while the bad players elsewhere are young and have upside.

He's the worst veteran player at hockey in the NHL. I'll die on that hill. He sucks and way too often plays in crisis management mode. If others want to imagine there is something to this having a big brute on the team that does good for the others go right ahead, I'll disagree on that too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He isn't going to improve while the bad players elsewhere are young and have upside.

He's the worst veteran player at hockey in the NHL. I'll die on that hill. He sucks and way too often plays in crisis management mode. If others want to imagine there is something to this having a big brute on the team that does good for the others go right ahead, I'll disagree on that too.
hE dOeSnT hAVe eNoUgH sKiLlZz

The fact that he can so what he has to do without hurting the team is a big win.
He almost never take a bad penalty either.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

If it shut the Size Queens up it would be worth it, but they just move back to thirsting for Crouse.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If it shut the Size Queens up it would be worth it, but they just move back to thirsting for Crouse.
True, their size fetish is so strong I'm sure they'd love a Girard for Crouse deal. Plus if he did what he was supposedly brought in for why does Landy get into fights and suspended still? What on earth is MacK out there getting into scraps for? I thought this was to bring in a guy that gets the other guys out of the rough stuff business?

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Some people here forgot the game just a couple of weeks back when Murray broke 30 seconds into the game, and MacDermid moved from forward to defense mid-game. Very few NHL players have that versatility. Thor only knows, if such a scenario were to happen in the playoffs we'd all be glad that MacDermid has this ability to play F or D. And if he were not in the game there would be notable lamentation.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I was not referring to any rookies or otherwise young players who posted bad numbers in limited minutes. There are PLENTY of veteran players who have equal or more total TOI minutes than MacDermid (he's been on the ice for roughly 385 minutes total in case anyone was curious) who have put up objectively worse underlying stats.

That should not be a hill you die on. I'd argue Keith Yandle (yes, THAT Keith Yandle), Nate Thompson, Jay Beagle, Austin Watson, Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, Mike Hoffman, and Chris Wideman contribute less than Kurtis MacDermid. And that's just a handful of the players who are most definitely worse at this point than he is.

And yes, there is some intrinsic value to having him on the team whether you want to admit it or not. And remember, I am absolutely one of the most staunch advocates of the notion that goons do not *deter* anything. The service they are perceived to provide is utter bullshit...but one thing cannot be argued that perception persists. And players, coaches, front office personnel, and fans buy into it. The most important aspect of that is the players. If they feel just a little more emboldened or even a little bit safer (even though, realistically, they are not) then it's worth paying a guy league-minimum to spend a few minutes here or there punching the other goon in the head and not entirely embarrassing himself whilst playing. And at the very least in a sheltered role, he's doing exactly that.

There is something to be said about players having a guy like MacDermid on their roster, players seem to believe that he has their backs, and that to a larger degree, management has their backs. You see a situation like in Anaheim where they rightfully traded away their goons, sure enough even Teemu effin' Selanne publicly said Ducks management (and remember, their GM was one of the meanest little guys to ever play) needed to bring some of the beef back in.

Sometimes...perception is important. I'm fine with this contract, his cap hit won't make a dent, and if they have to, they can waive him and bury the entire contract in the minors.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great signing, couldn't let this guy go. The team loves him and he's become incredibly versaitaille, being able to shift from F to D so seamlessly.

He's been skating really well, defending relatively well, and seems to fit really comfortably in Bednar's system at both positions. He's the toughest enforcer in the league, he finishes his hits hard, he doesn't take bad penalties, and he doesn't really hurt the team out there.

I thought he'd get the $1M x 2 year deal Deslaurier got, so this is pretty close at $987,500 x 2 AAV.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I am fine with if he is looked at as a 13F.... Its murder out there as 6D. Now if he is the 10D, I guess I can live with that

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
True, their size fetish is so strong I'm sure they'd love a Girard for Crouse deal. Plus if he did what he was supposedly brought in for why does Landy get into fights and suspended still? What on earth is MacK out there getting into scraps for? I thought this was to bring in a guy that gets the other guys out of the rough stuff business?

Lando and Mack aren’t going to change how they play just because MacDermid is out there. Plus there will be plenty of times where MacDermid isn’t out there. One enforcer can’t take care of all the stuff in his limited ice time.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
MacDermid just needs to pick JTC up and throw him off the bench and at the offending player.

tumblr_m7qahjQS5e1r0wb4wo6_250.gifv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad