Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Frank for 2 years

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One underrated aspect of this is it now makes Francouz expansion eligible. Which could potentially be a good thing, relative to the alternatives.

For instance, if Grubauer establishes himself as a 1A next year, but Frank becomes a good 1B with potential to be a starter elsewhere, he could be selected by Seattle.

Which arguably would be better for the Avs (depending on a few factors) than losing someone like Zadorov or Compher if they're still with the team. Or Timmins if he doesn't get a waiver for expansion due to his missed time.

They could lose Frank after next year and not be hurt too much depending on how Grubauer is playing, what their other backup options are in UFA and trade, and how close Annunen is to NHL ready.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good deal and I hate to say this, but because I am a big fan of him I wish they paid him more. However, it seems that he got term and reduced his overall salary.

Not sure he can be a starter due to his current rebound control and size, but he's able to keep Avs within games and honestly for a goaler that's as much as you can ask form.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He should probably fire his agent because holy cow what a deal.

The term, the timing, the cap hit. All amazing for a guy I'm convinced was going to be a 1a/1b starter for another team next year.

Man oh man. This is starting to get me thinking that maybe Nuke and Bura are going to sign team-friendly deals too. Bring on the Kreiders and Pageaus!

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Hard not to like it this deal. We keep a quality back-up when he could have gone to another team and gotten a bigger role. Provides a good stop gap as well for Werner or Annunen to show they can take the spot in three years. He's been quite consistent this year. In his 20 starts, he's saved more goals above expected in 13 of them which is very much above average.

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hard not to like it this deal. We keep a quality back-up when he could have gone to another team and gotten a bigger role. Provides a good stop gap as well for Werner or Annunen to show they can take the spot in three years. He's been quite consistent this year. In his 20 starts, he's saved more goals above expected in 13 of them which is very much above average.
His competitive edge is definitely the best part of his game, he's small and will have some limitations to more accurate shooters, but he never gives up on a shot even how out of it he is. Reminds me of JS Giguere and his never quit attitude.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think Frankie may just be one of the better NHL goalies that plays mostly back up. Dude can be the number one on a lot of teams.

Reactions: MarkT

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Which teams would he be a #1 on?
As of this morning Pavel is number 4 in the league in save percentage, 6th in the league in goals against. This while only getting 22 starts. Grubs is 16th in GA, and 17th in save %. Some will say that Pavel gets the easy starts and others will say the numbers is the numbers. I feel good with either playing.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
As of this morning Pavel is number 4 in the league in save percentage, 6th in the league in goals against. This while only getting 22 starts. Grubs is 16th in GA, and 17th in save %. Some will say that Pavel gets the easy starts and others will say the numbers is the numbers. I feel good with either playing.

I prefer even strength save %, and based on that stat, among goalies with at least 15 starts Grubi is #6 in the league and Frankie is #7. Our goaltending is awesome.

Reactions: larueskee

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I prefer even strength save %, and based on that stat, among goalies with at least 15 starts Grubi is #6 in the league and Frankie is #7. Our goaltending is awesome.
And...some will say its the defense in front of them! lol

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Which teams would he be a #1 on?
1200px-Colorado_Avalanche_logo.svg.png

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
One underrated aspect of this is it now makes Francouz expansion eligible. Which could potentially be a good thing, relative to the alternatives.

For instance, if Grubauer establishes himself as a 1A next year, but Frank becomes a good 1B with potential to be a starter elsewhere, he could be selected by Seattle.

Which arguably would be better for the Avs (depending on a few factors) than losing someone like Zadorov or Compher if they're still with the team. Or Timmins if he doesn't get a waiver for expansion due to his missed time.

They could lose Frank after next year and not be hurt too much depending on how Grubauer is playing, what their other backup options are in UFA and trade, and how close Annunen is to NHL ready.
I really like Frank, but I also really like Z. And Compher. Either way I think we'll be losing somebody good but would prefer if Frank stuck around.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I really like Frank, but I also really like Z. And Compher. Either way I think we'll be losing somebody good but would prefer if Frank stuck around.

I love Compher and Zadorov but we could easily replace them in free agency with similar salary guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad