Denver
4db8e6768306e80df7104c1f0e2e72a612bb9901.gifv

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Man that's a steal
That's market value for a good backup.

Only 40 goalies in the league make more than this and almost all of them are either starters or former starters still on starter contracts.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Loved Frankie before the deal, love him even more with this extension!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good contract and I like the term. A few off games earlier in the year, but he's been solid for the most part, and made some great saves at key times as well. Especially of late.

He does still have things he can improve on though. Rebound control and seeing around screens. Not sure how much he can improve on the latter since he's shorter than most goalies, but there may be some technical aspects he can work on.

Even though I think Frank has played well this year, I think some of that is due to teams being pretty unaware of him. They probably haven't scouted him much, and it seems every game players forget he's a right catching goalie. He'll make an easy looking glove save and they'll throw their head up as if to say, "oh yeah, he catches right!"

Interesting timing on this though. Almost as if they expect Grubauer to be out for an extended period of time, including the playoffs, and they wanted to sign Frank before he potentially raises his value by backstopping the team to a hopefull deep run.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Avs recognizing his potential and understanding that he has a few weeks now with Grubauer gone to really shine and make a name for himself, which could make him more expensive later or more likely to get more money elsewhere. He also signed a team friendly deal for the Avs for this season when he possible could have got more. Good signing, wonder if this is also the Joe trying to number crunch for next season as he continues to explore trade options, might help him pull the trigger when he has a better idea of where things stand Cap wise, but i guess it is only 2 mil.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unbelievable deal.

Did Frankie’s side even negotiate!?!? If he’s happy with it, great.

Well done, Joe.

It's because of the timing.

Knock on wood this doesn't happen, but if he was played as a starter down the stretch and into the playoffs, and had more bad games like the few earlier in the year, he'd sink his value. Or even potentially go unsigned and have to head back to Europe.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
So what's the take on Sakic as GM now with Francouz's signing? Bad, Meh, Average, Good or Excellent? Or still TBD?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great signing. Love Frankie. He is a great backup.

For people that are asking why he would sign now and for that money and term? Well he loves the team, he has a chance to win a SC, he still has a chance to still the #1 job, and it makes him very attractive to Seattle at the XD. Also if Gru's next contract is too expansive, they could decide to expose him instead of Frankie and still have a goalie on a cheap contract.

This is a perfect contract for the Avs at a perfect time because if he does really well while Gru is gone it could have raised his value considerably.

Well done Sakic. Congrats Frankie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad