Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Cogliano 1-year × $1.25

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The point here of signing Cogs early is to get a total budget amount. Yeah players can be moved and it can be figured out... but the 250k is now gone. Too early to say what that impact will be, if any.

250K is only gone if we decided to throw it away for no reason and we value cogliano as if he can be replaced by any 1MM player. Clearly not the case. If Avs sign nuke's "replacement" for 250k less than nuke's deal on the market, I'll gladly eat my words.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cogs is worth every bit of that extra $250k for what he brings. He's this group's Mike Keane/Matt Calvert. Great forechecking, defense, PK, and tons of leadership.

We always fret over small amounts of money for guys like him here, and then they go out and sacrifice everything for the team when it matters most.

Calvert taking the hit that basically ended his career to get the puck out in the playoffs. Cogs coming back a week after breaking his finger in the playoffs. These guys deserved the money they get.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Cogs is worth every bit of that extra $250k for what he brings. He's this group's Mike Keane/Matt Calvert. Great forechecking, defense, PK, and tons of leadership.

We always fret over small amounts of money for guys like him here, and then they go out and sacrifice everything for the team when it matters most.

Calvert taking the hit that basically ended his career to get the puck out in the playoffs. Cogs coming back a week after breaking his finger in the playoffs. These guys deserved the money they get.

Ya. I was so sad that Calvert never got a cup with us. What a player he was and worth every bit of that "overpayment".

MoreLikeTurdCrapley

Jun 30, 2019
Nice signing, glad he's back.

Obviously super positive news! But to nitpick a couple of things:

First, we'll see how things play out with the cap but every little bit adds up. That extra $250k could have been useful for accruing capspace and/or covering bonuses to avoid overages in 2023. I wouldn't have minded two years at a lower AAV, but Sakic hates term and it's probably prudent to go only one year with a 35 year old depth guy.

Secondly, and this is just a minor concern, but I do think it's worth asking how hungry 35+ guys are going to be when they've already won a cup.

It was a 5th not 4th

Fair question to ask. But Cogs doesn't strike me as a risk to lose focus or hunger. He’s a gamer. Iron man, clutch, leader, and all around professional. 250,000 aint sh*t compared to the benefits he brings.

Copy paste for Helm?
Hopefully

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Very few people speak up to Nate when he’s a tad over the line. Landeskog is one. Cogs, in a very short time has become another.

The guys love him. A pure leader. One that played a pretty big role in leading this team to a cup. Welcome back Cogs.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I get that... but the Avs basically have one RFA contract that can be squeezed, Lehk. Rest of Avs players that could or need to be re-signed are UFAs. In the case of guys like Kadri, Nuke, Manson, and Kuemper 250k can be a difference.
You can look at it this way though too: by trading out Jost for an expiring deal, it frees up another 1 million. Jost's raise was probably money that Nichushkin earned anyway.

Reactions: Nihiliste

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
hI4V2H.jpg
2ficxS.png

Cale Makar Buddha. The carver got the details right, down to his nose.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
That was quick.
And good to see. He was a great fit and an absolute warrior on the ice.
I totally expected him to retire, actually.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Cogliano is worth the extra $250K for having the idea to ask the Tampa hotel manager to switch MacKinnon's room from 1786 to 1787, so that he could act surprised and tell Nate, "Wow, your room number switched to 1787, it must be a sign!" which led to his locked in play in Game 6.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Cogliano seemed to be the most sober one among all the Avs players, that's why he was able to make a decision and sign first

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad