Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Cogliano 1-year × $1.25

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Nice signing, glad he's back.

Obviously super positive news! But to nitpick a couple of things:

First, we'll see how things play out with the cap but every little bit adds up. That extra $250k could have been useful for accruing capspace and/or covering bonuses to avoid overages in 2023. I wouldn't have minded two years at a lower AAV, but Sakic hates term and it's probably prudent to go only one year with a 35 year old depth guy.

Secondly, and this is just a minor concern, but I do think it's worth asking how hungry 35+ guys are going to be when they've already won a cup.

HFAvs 4 months ago: Why the f*** did we waste a 4th on this washed up scrub!?

HFAvs today: f*** yes we brought him back another year!

But seriously, glad he’s back. He was a warrior for us, played physical and was a contributor in the playoffs.
It was a 5th not 4th

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Nice signing, glad he's back.

Obviously super positive news! But to nitpick a couple of things:

First, we'll see how things play out with the cap but every little bit adds up. That extra $250k could have been useful for accruing capspace and/or covering bonuses to avoid overages in 2023.

Secondly, and this is just a minor concern, but I do think it's worth asking how hungry 35+ guys are going to be when they've already won a cup.
Helm already had a cup and put his body on the line every shift. Cogliano doesn't seem like a player that will just mail it in cause he won it, especially if it means trying to help newcomers win their first cup or to win a second time. He seems like a guy that will do anything he can for the team, these guys have too much pride and after having that feeling of winning I'm sure want to experience it again.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Helm already had a cup and put his body on the line every shift. Cogliano doesn't seem like a player that will just mail it in cause he won it, especially if it means trying to help newcomers win their first cup or to win a second time. He seems like a guy that will do anything he can for the team, these guys have too much pride and after having that feeling of winning I'm sure want to experience it again.
Those shot blocks and broken bones add up. We already saw how Helm coasted through the regular season to manage his body. If they can turn it on in the playoffs like Helm did though then it's all good. And as I said, it's a very minor concern.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Those shot blocks and broken bones add up. We already saw how Helm coasted through the regular season to manage his body. If they can turn it on in the playoffs like Helm did though then it's all good. And as I said, it's a very minor concern.
Forsure, at this point I'm not concerned about the reg season stuff. As long as he goes hard in the playoffs that's all I care about lol. This team has too much talent to need to go out 100% every game and win. I think them coasting and resting in reg season was actually beneficial to them overall in the long run.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I get that... but the Avs basically have one RFA contract that can be squeezed, Lehk. Rest of Avs players that could or need to be re-signed are UFAs. In the case of guys like Kadri, Nuke, Manson, and Kuemper 250k can be a difference.

I don't think so. Even for a Manson contract, 250k x 4 is 1 mill and he is looking at 20M. So it's 5%. Front load a contract and you can easily get 5% return per year over 4 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think so. Even for a Manson contract, 250k x 4 is 1 mill and he is looking at 20M. So it's 5%. Front load a contract and you can easily get 5% return per year over 4 years.
But they can get the extra 250k elsewhere and get the return. :nod:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They could also get extra 2 mill AAV else where. The Avs need to make a competitive offer, but that does not mean top of market offer.
Doesn't need to be the best offer... but the 250k can mean something to UFAs and it harder to get a deal from them. It can be a deal breaker. RFAs you can squeeze in different ways with various levels of backlash down the line.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Doesn't need to be the best offer... but the 250k can mean something to UFAs and it harder to get a deal from them. It can be a deal breaker. RFAs you can squeeze in different ways with various levels of backlash down the line.

If 250k AAV on a 4M AAV contract is a deal breaker, that player wanted to leave anyways. But it's way more likely 250K is a deal breaker on a 1M AAV contract. So you kind of just have to make a good call on which player you can squeeze from. You don't want to lose a player like Cogliano just over 250k though.

Reactions: LOFIN

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If 250k AAV on a 4M AAV contract is a deal breaker, that player wanted to leave anyways. But it's way more likely 250K is a deal breaker on a 1M AAV contract. So you kind of just have to make a good call on which player you can squeeze from. You don't want to lose a player like Cogliano just over 250k though.
Just as a theoretical... I'd much rather lose Cogs over 250k than Nuke over 250k (or 500k for that matter).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Same here. But if the difference is only 250k for nuke, Sakic would make a move to figure it out. You can go over the cap in the off season.
The point here of signing Cogs early is to get a total budget amount. Yeah players can be moved and it can be figured out... but the 250k is now gone. Too early to say what that impact will be, if any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad