Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Rangers | 5:00 MST | February 4th, 2014 | Teen Rookie vs Salty Vet Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
He's also been cheating a lot and not backchecking very hard ever since he got named to the Olympic team to try and jump start his goal scoring again.

This has really disappointed me. A mature player realizes that when he's shooting 2%, he might as well make sure he's not getting scored on. But Duchene tries to force the offense even more at the expense of his defense. He's looked like an Oiler the past couple games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm pretty sure Duchene is trying not to get injured. That would be devastating for him, to be this close and to get hurt days before leaving. They are not going to make their lineup decisions based on who has been scoring. They put him on the team for a reason. He's not meant to be a finisher anyway. If he can feed the puck to someone, which he has been doing, then he'll be fine.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm pretty sure Duchene is trying not to get injured. That would be devastating for him, to be this close and to get hurt days before leaving. They are not going to make their lineup decisions based on who has been scoring. They put him on the team for a reason. He's not meant to be a finisher anyway. If he can feed the puck to someone, which he has been doing, then he'll be fine.
Not saying its true, but if he's playing not to get hurt, then that's extremely selfish because 80% of the team isn't going to the Olympics and are all in for the Avs. His focus shouldn't be on the Olympics at all.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Duchene will most likely be a healthy scratch for a good chunk of the Olympics.

Doubt it, one bad game isn't going to be the determining factor if he plays or not for Canada. Last I checked he has 27pts in his last 28 games played, not exactly crap numbers. Sure the pucks not going in for him right now, but he is still making stuff happen on the ice. And most nights, he is not a defensive liability, he just had a bad game last night.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not saying its true, but if he's playing not to get hurt, then that's extremely selfish because 80% of the team isn't going to the Olympics and are all in for the Avs. His focus shouldn't be on the Olympics at all.

I also am in the category that Duchene is playing right now not to get hurt. It is selfish, but I think that's what's happening. We forget that he is just a kid, who might not always make the best decisions. It's been a goal of his for a long time to play for team Canada and now he has his opportunity and isn't going to risk losing it. It's childish but you can tell Duchene is playing cautiously. As he matures and actually plays for Canada, I don't see this being an issue. He is just a kid making a bad decision.

I guarantee after the Olympics we will see the beginning of the year Duchene, let's just be grateful that we are playing good hockey, even with Duchene playing cautiously, and that there are only 2 games left until the Olympics.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I'm hoping that with the leadership that will be in Sochi. Someone can help Duchene along, build him up a little bit. Hopefully he doesn't talk to Toews. They will both be pouting and slamming their sticks.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I still have to wonder if he feels like MacK took his speedy guy-quick hands role and he is trying to figure out what else he can bring to the team. With the exception of this game, he has been playing the playmaker more.

It does seem like he is not getting the benefit of many calls either when he rushes of the ice and defenders manhandle him. That can be discouraging to his usual play as well.

Overall, he looks either tired, a little unmotivated/discouraged by something or unfocused when he has the puck for these last few games.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Let's not forget O'Reilly had a pretty bad game too.

I'm not worried about Duchene. He's clearly frustrated but still contributing. Hopefully he enjoys himself in Sochi and comes back refreshed.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I still have to wonder if he feels like MacK took his speedy guy-quick hands role and he is trying to figure out what else he can bring to the team. With the exception of this game, he has been playing the playmaker more.

It does seem like he is not getting the benefit of many calls either when he rushes of the ice and defenders manhandle him. That can be discouraging to his usual play as well.

Overall, he looks either tired, a little unmotivated/discouraged by something or unfocused when he has the puck for these last few games.

I don't think this is the case at all. He grew up idolizing Sakic and Forsberg. He knows you need a team to be successful. I think he just really gets down on himself, puts a lot of pressure on himself, and as with most people when you try and do too much on your own the opposition usually takes advantage.

I am not worried about it. With Roy and Sakic he has 2 of the best leaders, and professionals to ever play the game. He will have great guidance moving forward.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm hoping that with the leadership that will be in Sochi. Someone can help Duchene along, build him up a little bit. Hopefully he doesn't talk to Toews. They will both be pouting and slamming their sticks.

This is why I hope he gets the chance to play. I think he can learn some stuff from the leaders/veterans Canada has, and hopefully he can get a goal or two to give him back his confidence so he can come back a confident player for the stretch run.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois

Im sure he and Crosby will have plenty of bonding time while they are over there.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Duchene is my favourite avs player and I wouldn't trade him for literally anybody in the league and I'm not even joking. When he's on, I think he's easily a top 10 NHL forward in the league.

Not even Weber:sarcasm:

Duchene for Crosby?

Duchene for Ovechkin?

Duchene for Stamkos?

You really wouldn't trade him for anybody?

Edit: Sorry i gotta say this, but right now i'd trade Duchene for Tavares.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've said the same type of thing so I'll defend the viewpoint. I wouldn't trade Duchene for anyone either. Those three are one of the very few exceptions but that type of trade is so far outside of the realm of reality it's not worth even making the caveat. Duchene for Tavares, no way. Has nothing to do with Tavares or what his value is. Duchene IS the Avs, he's an actual person. Human beings comprise the team. It's ludicrous to make those statements without any regard what making a trade like that would do to the team and fanbase.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Agreed. Let's not argue some silly scenario we all know will never happen. Would I trade Joe Sakic for an in-his-prime Wayne Gretzky? Of course I would. But it'd never happen, so I don't see the point in arguing it. Tavares is never coming here. Sidney Crosby is never coming here. We all know this.

Duchene is a great talent who has wanted to play for Colorado since he was a kid, as has Nathan MacKinnon. I wouldn't trade either or them. And neither would you.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I've said the same type of thing so I'll defend the viewpoint. I wouldn't trade Duchene for anyone either. Those three are one of the very few exceptions but that type of trade is so far outside of the realm of reality it's not worth even making the caveat. Duchene for Tavares, no way. Has nothing to do with Tavares or what his value is. Duchene IS the Avs, he's an actual person. Human beings comprise the team. It's ludicrous to make those statements without any regard what making a trade like that would do to the team and fanbase.

Gretzky was the face of the Oilers, Bourque was the face of the Bruins etc etc etc...both were traded and i'm sure their fans never thought they would lose their franchise players.

Bourque and Gretzky were traded for different reasons, but in general organizations do anything they can to make the team better.

If Tavares is gonna make the Avs much better, i'd trade Duchene for him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gretzky was the face of the Oilers, Bourque was the face of the Bruins etc etc etc...both were traded and i'm sure their fans never thought they would lose their franchise players.

Bourque and Gretzky were traded for different reasons, but in general organizations do anything they can to make the team better.

Way, way different circumstances regarding those. Ray was getting old and the Bruins were rebuilding. They never would have traded him unless he requested it, and he did. Wayne got dealt because Peter Puck ran out of money, and later landed in jail.

Again, it's a silly thing to say that you'd trade Duchene for Tavares. It. Will. Never. Happen.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland

:headache:

Top line center for top line center. Same age. Same level of production. Duchene is a fan of this team. That trade would never make sense.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany

Islanders would never do this so all we can do is wait and hope Dutchy remembers how to score a goal some day.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
:headache:

Top line center for top line center. Same age. Same level of production. Duchene is a fan of this team. That trade would never make sense.

Duchene 53GP - 48P
Tavares 57GP - 64P

By my math that is not a same level of production.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Has anyone really realized the kind of points Landy is putting up? 22 in his last 21 games. He's 3 behind Duchene at 45 points. Current 7 game point streak and had a 8 game point streak earlier. Seems like he's quietly producing more than people expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad