Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Rangers | 5:00 MST | February 4th, 2014 | Teen Rookie vs Salty Vet Rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For the best player in the world (whoever you define that is) you could probably overcome the negative impacts of trading a franchise cornerstone. It has nothing to do with growing up an Avs fan, I pretty much wouldn't trade MacKinnon for anyone at this point now either.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just do me a favor and answer one simple question and I'll drop the subject.

Would you trade Duchene for Crosby? Never mind the pointless argument or how unrealistic it is.

It's simple... would you rather have Duchene who's 100% committed to the team and grew up an Avs fan on the Avs or Crosby?

BTW..even though Crosby didn't grow up an Avs fan, he'll be committed to the Avs if he's traded to the Avs.

Yes. Now drop it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Couldn't Stastny become a shutdown 3rd line center? Give him 2 gritty defensive minded wingers.. I don't know. That could work?

Maybe, but then you're not using Paul Stastny to his strengths. He's a scoring line center who just happens to be a complete player. But his main attribute is putting up points.

It's kind of like the opposite of when the Rangers paid through the nose for Bobby Holik and tried using him as a top line guy instead of a shutdown guy. Sure, he was adequate, but he certainly didn't excel in the role, and in the end, he was unhappy and then bought out.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stastny has said he's heard the plan and want to be a part of it. So if that's as the third C or some sort of defensive C with big minutes or whatever it is, it seems like he's at least clued in to what the Avs are trying to do.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stastny has said he's heard the plan and want to be a part of it. So if that's as the third C or some sort of defensive C with big minutes or whatever it is, it seems like he's at least clued in to what the Avs are trying to do.

Do you have a link to where he said this?

Maybe he'll move to wing. MacKinnon is the center in the offensive zone and Stastny takes care of the center responsibilities in the defensive zone. That's what Duchene and O'Reilly do quite a bit and O'Reilly has been taking more faceoffs as well now.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The Sharks will be paying third line center Joe Pavelski $6 million starting next season. Enough with this "we can't pay a third line center big money" nonsense. It's not like a team has to be structured in pay according to their depth chart. Even in a "third line" role Stastny will get plenty of minutes and still play a vital part in the team's success, if they choose to go in that direction.

The Pens for years had three very expensive centers, and it worked just fine.

Pavelski doesn't play a shut down third line role.

Can we at least acknowledge that it MIGHT become a problem? And as of now, it's a bit of a pipe dream to have Stastny in a 3rd line role (5on5) long term?

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe, but then you're not using Paul Stastny to his strengths. He's a scoring line center who just happens to be a complete player. But his main attribute is putting up points.

It's kind of like the opposite of when the Rangers paid through the nose for Bobby Holik and tried using him as a top line guy instead of a shutdown guy. Sure, he was adequate, but he certainly didn't excel in the role, and in the end, he was unhappy and then bought out.

I don't know. Just because you play him in a defensive role doesn't mean he has to stand in his own zone all the time. If you can score, you can score and it's good you're able to score. We can still use him on the power play. The fact that he's proved to be a complete player is only a good thing that we can use to our advantage.

I think it would be great that the older he gets the less his priority is in scoring. We already have ROR-Dutch and Landy-Mack lines to take care of that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I wouldn't mind paying Stastny 8 years @ 5M per. It would be fair and not overpaying a 3rd line center in a Stanley Cup contending team for years to come

Yes he could get 6.5M easily in FA but he knows this is a team that could go all the way and it's not all about money. He would get 5 million per year until he's 36. Guaranteed money! Plus he's coming off a big contract that many considered overpayment at times

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pavelski doesn't play a shut down third line role.

Can we at least acknowledge that it MIGHT become a problem? And as of now, it's a bit of a pipe dream to have Stastny in a 3rd line role (5on5) long term?

It's definitely not a no-brainer to re-sign Stastny long-term. My point was simply that IMO, the notion of a guy being a "third line center" doesn't mean you absolutely have to get a guy who's notably cheaper than the two guys above him on the depth chart.

And there are a lot of ways to build a winner. You don't necessarily need the third line center to play a shutdown role. Pavelski doesn't play a shutdown role, but he's the SJ's third line guy (at least when Hertl is healthy) and enjoys slightly softer minutes, which of course he uses to ram the puck down the Avs' throat whenever he's in town. :rant:

I don't know. Just because you play him in a defensive role doesn't mean he has to stand in his own zone all the time. If you can score, you can score and it's good you're able to score. We can still use him on the power play. The fact that he's proved to be a complete player is only a good thing that we can use to our advantage.

I think it would be great that the older he gets the less his priority is in scoring. We already have ROR-Dutch and Landy-Mack lines to take care of that.

I'm just saying if you want to utilize Stastny, put guys with him who can score. I'd rather not see him get saddled with a couple defensive grinders. Stastny would still likely get points, but nowhere near where you'd want a guy with his skills to get.

I think the Rangers proved you can roll out three lines that can score and excel. If anything, their third line of Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello is their weakest defensively, but was giving the Avs fits all night with their speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad