Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I can't see the Avs signing two defensemen, at least not to one-way deals.

Doing so would A) Knock two of Bigras/Gelinas/Zadorov out of the line-up and B) force Siemens to the AHL.

I'm thinking one depth dman and one depth forward.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
So... let's say one is Wiercioch.

The lineup starts out like:

Beauch-EJ
Bigras-Barrie
Zadorov-Gelinas
Siemens
Wiercioch

EJ gets his yearly injury and it falls to:

Beauch-Barrie
Bigras-Zadorov
Wiercioch-Gelinas
Siemens

Beauch is old and has had some minor injury issues, entirely possible that during the same time he gets hurt and the Avs have to run this:

Bigras-Barrie
Zadorov-Gelinas
Wiercioch-Siemens
Geertsen/Boikov/Lindholm/Clark

One more injury or bug and the Avs are playing Geertsen in a lineup with Bigras and Z manning top 4 roles,Siemens who had a lesser role in the AHL than Guenin, and Wiercioch who the Sens just let go. That group would be the worst in the NHL by far.

A NHL team won't go into the season with 3 injuries potentially making them play completely unproven and struggling prospects if they want a chance at the playoffs. If a team is tanking, by all means they will do that... not if a team is trying to win. The Avs need depth for the 7/8 spots and for San Antonio. These are not players you sign to block Bigras or Zadorov, they are players that can take a bottom pairing shift in the NHL without rushing prospects or completely killing the team's chances to win. Relying on Geertsen to be the first callup is something that simply should not happen. He should be the #4 option at the very highest.

Exactly. Our SA depth chart probably looks something like this:

_____ - _____
Geertsen - ______
Lindholm - Clark
AHL contract - Corbett
Boikov in ECHL (or Lindholm)

Add in the two open spots on the Avs and we have 5 spots with basically just Siemens.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
True, but the Avs do not have many trade-able assets. Our assets are all core pieces and we cannot easily replace them.
Duchene is offensively our best player and you cannot really trade him because you have no idea what Mack is going to do. You cannot trade Mack because he's a recent #1 overall pick and if he stays healthy then you might have a franchise guy.
Landeskog is the captain, it goes without saying why he is not getting traded.

So we have to find ways to develop the defense internally. With that said, if the best player available in the first round every time is a forward then only so much improvement will occur by development alone.

Which is exactly what I said above. We just have to be patient unless we somehow can steal a d man off of somebody.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The only real tradeable assets we have right now are one of Picks and Varley. Moving a goalie would create the smallest hole possible while allowing us to add a legit upgrade to another position. I still think there could be something brewing on that front if we're seriously looking to upgrade the D via trade.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I can't see the Avs signing two defensemen, at least not to one-way deals.

Doing so would A) Knock two of Bigras/Gelinas/Zadorov out of the line-up and B) force Siemens to the AHL.

They have signed guys before that they were not sure would be in the NHL to 1way deals.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
The Predators:

Forsberg, 6 more years at 6 million
Josi, 4 more years at 4 million
Ekholm, 6 more years at 3.75 million
Ellis, 3 more years at 2.5 million

THAT is what signing those deals to players who haven't "earned" it gets you. They've got a possible top 10 defender in the league in Josi signed at 4 million a year. They have a great young second pairing in Ekholm and Ellis signed at a combined rate under 7 million. Do you know what absolutely brilliant shape that team is going to be in after Jackman, Fisher, Riberio, and Nystrom get off the books next year? They can easily re-sign Johansen, keep both Weber and Rinne in the fold without it costing them, overpay both Smith and Wilson, and still have room for another big addition up front while filling out their depth.

They learned their lesson the hard way with weber offer sheet.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
They have signed guys before that they were not sure would be in the NHL to 1way deals.

In the past, yes. But they just traded an inexpensive defenseman away for the explicit reason (per Sakic) of giving more ice time to the young guys.

We also know they will be quiet on 7/1.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
In the past, yes. But they just traded an inexpensive defenseman away for the explicit reason (per Sakic) of giving more ice time to the young guys.

Quiet on the "big names", yes, I do believe that. But they're going to be signing people on Friday, I expect that. They've got to fill SA somehow, and I think there will be players brought in that could be good AHL players but also decent NHL depth pieces as well.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Signing numerous depth defenders won't take away from that. We have our 1-6:

Bigras - EJ
Zadorov - Beauch
Gelinas - Barrie
*actual pairs are not important, just my guess

After Siemens Geertsen is next in line. And while I like the kid and have hope for him, he shouldn't be anywhere near the Avs. He is SA's #4.

We need 7-11 (Siemens will get one of those, probably #8 on the Avs). Basically we need a handful of guys who are fringe NHLers, one of which will start on the Avs unless Siemens just sucks in camp.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Quiet on the "big names", yes, I do believe that. But they're going to be signing people on Friday, I expect that. They've got to fill SA somehow, and I think there will be players brought in that could be good AHL players but also decent NHL depth pieces as well.

I agree, but (2) defensemen to one-way deals seems like a stretch.

Signing numerous depth defenders won't take away from that. We have our 1-6:

Bigras - EJ
Zadorov - Beauch
Gelinas - Barrie
*actual pairs are not important, just my guess

After Siemens Geertsen is next in line. And while I like the kid and have hope for him, he shouldn't be anywhere near the Avs. He is SA's #4.

We need 7-11 (Siemens will get one of those, probably #8 on the Avs). Basically we need a handful of guys who are fringe NHLers, one of which will start on the Avs unless Siemens just sucks in camp.

I guess it all depends on price range. If we are talking bottom of bucket, maybe I can see it.

I think the Avs defense will look similar to what you posted, with Siemens as the #7/8 and one UFA defender as the #6/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad