Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You want to know how bad the Oilers still are? They use Fayne as one of their PP defensemen at the first quarter of the season. :laugh: I think any defenseman that plays on the Oilers are better than what they play like on that team, but I was really unimpressed by Fayne when I saw him. He had some of the worst offensive blueline and neutral turnovers I've seen from anyone this season.

Is he better than Guenin? Yes.
Is he better than Stuart? Possibly.
Does he bring better depth to this club? Probably.
Do I want to pay him 3.5 million dollars for another two seasons? No way!

Can someone please honestly tell me what the Hurricanes are trying to do? I mean they are rebuilding and McKenzie says they want to trade away Staal....but didn't Jordan want to be traded so he can play with him? Would they just trade both Staals to a contender for two separate packages? And what about Skinner, why and how does he not be included for their rebuild plans? Because of injuries, because he's a player you can build around for the next core.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Replace Grigs with Rantanen instead.

Rantanen-MacK-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Skinner

Bigras, Rantanen, and Zadorov will be nearly untouchable in trades. I wouldn't worry about the Avs moving them. Bleacks, Siemens, Rendulic, Butcher, Bourke, etc are the prospects that the Avs would move. Compher could be in either group.

I love Soderberg and have been his biggest supporter since the start of the season but ideally I want him to eventually move down to be our 3rd time centre getting 3rd line minutes (not 2nd/3rd lines splitting even minutes). This probably doesn't happen unless we add another top 6 player allowing Duchene to move back to centre.

Also, woooof at Skinner's contract. I was thinking it was around 4.5per.

Yeah lol, then replace Soda with Greg ;

Mikko - MacK - Duchene
Landeskog - Grigorenko - Skinner
_____ - Soda - _______

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Can someone please honestly tell me what the Hurricanes are trying to do? I mean they are rebuilding and McKenzie says they want to trade away Staal....but didn't Jordan want to be traded so he can play with him? Would they just trade both Staals to a contender for two separate packages? And what about Skinner, why and how does he not be included for their rebuild plans? Because of injuries, because he's a player you can build around for the next core.

They are an absolute mess overall and I think that really comes from the very top. It seems they put all the chips in on the Staals all coming together and building a dynasty with no regard to any sort of a backup plan. When it turned out Jordan wasn't as good as they thought and Eric regressed... they were left with a piss poor team and two players who don't care enough to change things. They'd rather move on.

With Skinner, I think this is the classic situation when a team becomes disenchanted with a player. They loved his first couple seasons, rewarded him with a big contract, and he hasn't done much to repay them. Part of it is injuries, part is style of play... I'm sure part is attitude.

In today's game, Skinner is a luxury type player, not a core player. He is a shifty player that plays against the grain and can do some magical things... but he doesn't do any of the little things that help teams win consistently. He is bad in board battles, he has some really bad turnovers, he tries to make the big play over the smart play all the time, etc. He is the type of player to add to an established core to push a team over the top. Problem is, the Hurricanes don't really have a core anymore. They have Faulk and that is about it. If the Staals were 5 years younger, they'd have something... but as the Hurricanes stand, they don't have any centers that you'd consider core building blocks for the next 5-10 years. So I can understand the thought of him not really being part of their future. By the time the rest of the team would allow him to make a huge impact, he is already a UFA and likely gone.

Put Skinner here and he is a top 6 piece to round the lineup out. Not be the key guy up front.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Skinner is somebody that I would absolutely take a chance on. Put him with Duchene or MacK (and if he stays healthy) and you have a 30g scorer on this team. Also would improve the PP quite a bit. If they were willing to just take back Stuart, I wouldn't worry about salary retention with him.

Sure, if you assume that you're getting Skinner at his best which he hasn't been for the past 2 years. It's a great move if he can regain his form but I'd rather wait out Stuart (who can certainly be LTIR next year if it comes to that) to come off the books rather than acquire a possible $6M per year albatross (or close to it).

Unless my pro scouts are telling me that he's playing great but just unlucky when it comes to point production...I'm not touching that guy. It's too bad too because he was one of my favourites from his draft year...injuries have really taken a lot out of that guy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I've actually liked what I've seen from Skinner this year. The points aren't exactly showing but unlucky is definitely a good word to use. He's had some pretty poor linemates too.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Skinner is way too big of a risk with his injuries, his lack of production and that cap hit.

And look at how much everyone *****es about Iggy not doing anything but being a goal scorer. Sounds like this guy would bring more similar complaints for numerous years to come.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Fayne has 2 more years after this at 3.625M. If he had only 1 year after this I'd take a chance on him because I believe he's been given a raw deal by Todd McLellan ever since Todd arrived. He's a more than capable bottom pairing defensemen who can kill penalties and is mobile enough for today's game. But the 2 years is just too much for me to pay a 3rd pairing guy who'd play behind EJ and Barrie

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sure, if you assume that you're getting Skinner at his best which he hasn't been for the past 2 years. It's a great move if he can regain his form but I'd rather wait out Stuart (who can certainly be LTIR next year if it comes to that) to come off the books rather than acquire a possible $6M per year albatross (or close to it).

Unless my pro scouts are telling me that he's playing great but just unlucky when it comes to point production...I'm not touching that guy. It's too bad too because he was one of my favourites from his draft year...injuries have really taken a lot out of that guy.

There is a bit of bad luck, there are linemate issues, and there are style of play issues. The biggest problem with Skinner is that he can't be THE guy on a line. He needs to ride shotgun and play off another player or two on his line that can do the dirty work. If he gets that, he will pot 30g. Right now he is being put in the spot to be THE guy on a line and produce. That just isn't his game and never will be.

Still for as much as people gripe about his lack of production... the kid is on pace for 23-24 goals and that would be currently tied for 3rd on the team with 8 goals. That is from a player that is 'in a slump' and on a team that has scored 13 less goals than the Avs so far this season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We're going to do this every time someone is waived, aren't we?

Oilers signed Fayne because of his advanced stats in New Jersey, thinking he could be something more than he really is. Far too much money for far too long. That's what happens when you ignore the eye test.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Feels like another draft day deal. Wait till the smoke clears and decide if the player your gonna pick is going to be as good as Skins and even then they still need to take back money.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We're going to do this every time someone is waived, aren't we?

Oilers signed Fayne because of his advanced stats in New Jersey, thinking he could be something more than he really is. Far too much money for far too long. That's what happens when you ignore the eye test.

Yes. And like I said the other day we blew our wad for the year already.

I get discussing the bigger names, maybe one of then is someone the Avs never thought was going to be available but I'd be pretty surprised to see the Avs claim anyone else this year.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Im a huge fan of Skinner. I'm not sure what it'd take. I'd be ok with a deal similar to ROR, obviously not as much.

I always run into the problem with Avs trades. The only assets I could really see them moving since the NHL depth his so poor is Prospects/Picks. Which might work for Carolina.

Bleackley, 2nd, one of the D-men not named Bigras?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Bleackley, 2nd, one of the D-men not named Bigras?

I doubt they would want a defensemen out of the pool then (they might want a roster one). They are jam packed there with young prospect defensemen. If you take Bigras and Zadorov out of the equation, there isn't a defensemen in the pool that is an upgrade on any one of Hanifin, Fluery, McKeown, Slavin, Pesce, and Carrick. They just don't have much up front.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I doubt they would want a defensemen out of the pool then (they might want a roster one). They are jam packed there with young prospect defensemen. If you take Bigras and Zadorov out of the equation, there isn't a defensemen in the pool that is an upgrade on any one of Hanifin, Fluery, McKeown, Slavin, Pesce, and Carrick. They just don't have much up front.

Send em' good ol' J-Hish :naughty:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Skinner's talent is well worth the risk...considering the loopholes on contracts and his history of injuries the avs can easily "take care" of that problem. Depending on price they should be all over him. He'd be their 3rd best player offensively.

Having said that he won't come here, Roy is in love with size something he unfortunately lacks.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He can still skate tho, no? I'd prefer it to the Raulov hope and prayer if all it really takes is an ok prospect sort of deal.

And what happens when he plays the same as now, regardless of how well he skates? We will be stuck with him for another 3 years and the Radulov hope, or the hope of signing any top6 forward (which I think is more realistic than just hoping and praying), will disappear.

I wouldn't take him for anything more than a waiver grab (no risk being stuck with that contract) unless they are eating some serious cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad