Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I get the sentiment behind saying "if we don't get the right package, stand pat and don't trade them", but let's be real, we've been standing pat for months now and the team is not improving. This trade might not be as much about any player's perceived value as much as it might be about it being beyond time for a big change in personnel.

And Jost was the right draft pick.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Lebrun (through that Nichols guy) mentioned that he asked two GM's about Bergevin's comments regarding Sergachev and got two answers. 1 gm said of course you trade for the proven guy, you have no idea what the prospect becomes. 2nd gm said no, if you have the heir apparent to Markov you never give that up.

Bergevin has to know if they get ousted in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs he's gone. They keep slipping Duchene will be in Montreal in no time.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Lebrun (through that Nichols guy) mentioned that he asked two GM's about Bergevin's comments regarding Sergachev and got two answers. 1 gm said of course you trade for the proven guy, you have no idea what the prospect becomes. 2nd gm said no, if you have the heir apparent to Markov you never give that up.

Bergevin has to know if they get ousted in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs he's gone. They keep slipping Duchene will be in Montreal in no time.

Agreed. Therrien was fired to take some of the pressure off of Bergevin, no doubt. If the team continues to lose, Bergevins back will be up against the wall, and I truly believe he'll have to make a big move to save his job.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I'm willing to bet the first GM knows how to be successful in the playoffs, the second GM is Craig MacTavish :sarcasm:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I believe Bergevin when he says he isn't moving Sergachev. On the other hand, why the hell wouldn't he? Does Bergevin really think he's still going to be running that team by the time Sergachev is great? The dude got Shea Weber breaking down more and more by the day, Markov is already worn down, Price is soon going to demand ridiculous money and the team still doesn't have a #1 Centre which they arguably have not had in almost two decades.

Bergevin seems sincere in saying he isn't moving Sergachev, but if I'm Bergevin I don't give a rats ass about the future since I'm almost certainly not going to be part of it. The Habs are going to be bad in a few years and even if Sergachev is great, he isn't going to be enough to pull them out of the hole they'll be in. Plus like I said, I don't think Bergevin still has a job by then anyway. Nice of him to think about the future of the team and all, but if the Habs are going to win anything it better be in the next 2 years or so.

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
I saw this proposal on the main board and wanted to get other Avs fans thoughts.

To MTL:

Duchene
Landeskog

To COL:

Galchenyuk
Sergachev
Plekanec (For cap reasons)
Lekhonen
2nd Round Pick (2018 Washington)

IMO it's not too bad, not that I'm advocating trading both Duchy & Landy in the same deal, but it's pretty good value. Again... it's not my post and I don't LOVE it... thoughts?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It is kind of funny because the pressure is on Bergevin not Sakic. Bergevin is actually getting played by Sakic really well. Everyone keeps bashing Sakic for being a crap GM but he seems to be going about the whole Landy/Duchene issues quite well, just biding his time until someone gets desperate.

Montreal is under some pressure to win now. Weber is getting older, Price is a UFA in a year, Markov is getting older, Radulov is a UFA this season, might have some contract issues with Galchenyuk this year, Pacioretty is due a big raise soon, Plekanec is getting old etc. Prospect pool is weak outside of Sergachev, Scherbak, McCarron and Juulsen. The window of opportunity isn't super long for them.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Montreal won't trade for Duchene so they can win-now.
They're just not that much of a hockey town.
Otherwise they would do what needs to be done (acquire Duchene) to win this year, and maybe the next two years as well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/lebrun-examines-trade-perspective-canadiens-bergevin/

“It’s an interesting thing,” said hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun during a Wednesday evening radio appearance on Montreal’s TSN 690. “I just happened to be talking to two other GMs in the league yesterday and we ended up talking about the Habs because they were the story of the day. And I got a completely different answer from either one.

“One of them said, ‘To heck with the future, your job’s on the line. Go get Duchene and whoever else and try to win now, even if it costs you your best prospect. How do you know for sure your prospect is going to be a great player? I mean, does anyone really know?’

“But the other GM said, ‘No. You drafted this guy and your staff believes he’s Andrei Markov’s heir apparent. That’s worth more than almost anything on the market.’

“So two completely different answers from two guys who also run teams. So I guess it speaks to the difficulty of the position that Bergevin is in right now

I wonder who that GM is :laugh: . I love the enthusiasm. It's definitely some GM who doesn't have a Sergachev type in his pipeline but would absolutely love to add a Matt Duchene to his team. Sounds very "Jim Rutherford".

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I saw this proposal on the main board and wanted to get other Avs fans thoughts.

To MTL:

Duchene
Landeskog

To COL:

Galchenyuk
Sergachev
Plekanec (For cap reasons)
Lekhonen
2nd Round Pick (2018 Washington)

IMO it's not too bad, not that I'm advocating trading both Duchy & Landy in the same deal, but it's pretty good value. Again... it's not my post and I don't LOVE it... thoughts?

Honestly it's crap. The only pieces worth a damn are Sergachev and Galchenyuk. Outside that you get a cap dump, an OK prospect and a 2nd that might as well be a 3rd. If we are trading both Landy and Duchene in the same deal it better be mind blowing and this deal isn't that.

Montreal would have to add at least another solid piece Beaulieu or Juulsen and add a 1st to get me thinking about it.

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
Honestly it's crap. The only pieces worth a damn are Sergachev and Galchenyuk. Outside that you get a cap dump, an OK prospect and a 2nd that might as well be a 3rd. If we are trading both Landy and Duchene in the same deal it better be mind blowing and this deal isn't that.

Montreal would have to add at least another solid piece Beaulieu or Juulsen and add a 1st to get me thinking about it.

Thanks for the honest response. I can't say I disagree. Funny that MTL fans who replied absolutely hated it, thought the Habs were giving up too much. :laugh:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/lebrun-examines-trade-perspective-canadiens-bergevin/

I wonder who that GM is :laugh: . I love the enthusiasm. It's definitely some GM who doesn't have a Sergachev type in his pipeline but would absolutely love to add a Matt Duchene to his team. Sounds very "Jim Rutherford".

I think that the mystery GM is right. If you want to win, sometimes you've got to make bold moves. Pierre did it all the time here. We gave up tons of good prospects to give ourselves the best shot to win the Cup. It didn't always work out and lots of the prospects we gave up turned out really good. But our GM gave us a chance to win the Cup every single year for 10 seasons. I'd rather win the Cup than keep a top end prospect and lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The Habs have been stagnating for years and you know the front office is getting impatient after trading Subban. Habs have 3 extra second round picks in the next two years, so they can afford to trade some young assets. Bergevin needs to grow a pair and take a chance while Price is still young.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Thanks for the honest response. I can't say I disagree. Funny that MTL fans who replied absolutely hated it, thought the Habs were giving up too much. :laugh:

Yeah that's standard HF for you. According to Habs fans Sergachev is the 2nd coming and Galchenyuk is a better player than Duchene even though Duchene's rookie season was equivalent to Galchenyuk's career year last year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you are in the Cup window... spend whatever it takes to make that happen. Too many teams get caught in that rut of being close, but not quite there. When you get close, pay up!

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
"Heir apparent to Andrei Markov", is that a thing now? I'd always seen Markov as a poor man's top pairing defenseman anyways, long-tenured perhaps but he's hardly legendary.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
"Heir apparent to Andrei Markov", is that a thing now? I'd always seen Markov as a poor man's top pairing defenseman anyways, long-tenured perhaps but he's hardly legendary.

Honestly the way Habs fans have been talking about Sergachev you'd think he was set to become the next Bobby Orr.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
This whole thing was kind of fun at first, now it is just a pain. Like someone mentioned earlier this will be pretty dam frustrating if it drags out until June.

We should be able to donate some of our 15 wins on the season to the Hurricanes so they will be in the playoff race and willing to trade for Duchene now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I think you're selling him a bit short. Smart as can be, shuts down with some of the best and puts up the numbers to go with it. Since the 04 lockout Markov has a PPG of 0.64. To put that in perspective Ryan O'Reilly's PPG is .63 and Gabe Landeskog is .67. Those are NHL star FORWARDS. Other than Erik Karlsson there is no current NHL defenseman with 200 or more games played with a higher PPG than Markov in that time frame. It's higher than Subban, Burns, Buff, Weber, Shattenkirk, Josi and Keith.

I'd consider Markov legendary no doubt.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Markov in his prime was a legit #1D. He has fell off and can't consistently log the huge minutes anymore, but he is still a damn good player.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
All this Markov talk. Reminds me of the days when we were hoping he'd be EJ's partner.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Reading Sakic's comments on Denverpost, looks like he's not gonna do anything big. Sounds more like they're gonna stick to the same core, says that supposedly Varly will be 100% healthy next year too( i don't believe in that) but Sakic is just saying the same things, we listen but we wont make any big moves unless it helps us now and in the future. I heard that so many times in the last few years,yet hasn't done any moves to help the team now and in the future so far. He keeps making dumb trades getting garbage like Gelinas, Goloubef, or old washed up players. That's his idea of getting better now and in the future i guess.

Sakic should just quit, although he said he's not going to, says Bednar isn't going anywhere either. It's gonna be pretty much the same team next year and god knows for how many more years. I might just have to cut this team loose, like a bad marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln