Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Welcome to the core fire sale, I'm sure we'll fill this thread up in a week.

58475254-fire-sale-3d-rendering-street-signs.jpg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Moving this to the new thread then...

Let's recap:

January 7:

January 9:

And for those who think that 1 senior pro scout + 2 scouts is no big deal, it's litterally everything we have at our disposal:

T8SMMnp.png

Smith is on reserve list and Zalesak is in Europe...so Joy, Laperriere and Martin were all there.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Well the team isn't winning with the pieces it has now... let the dominos fall soon hopefully. I'd welcome a new start soon. The team literally can't get worst.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Well, if the Avs did send all of their scouts in tonight to get some detailed analysis of what Martinez / Muzzin do...they got a real treat :laugh:

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
If the Avs did trade Landeskog to the Kings it would almost certainly be a bad deal. The only deal what would interest me would be FB + Landy for Muzzin + Toffoli. Pretty safe to say that the Kings would not have any of that.

The other pieces that LA has are just not that appealing. Martinez will soon be 30. Pearson is just a 2nd line winger. Kempe is not a great prospect. These teams are not good trading partners so the thought of a trade involving Landeskog sounds terrifying, especially with the track record that Sakic has. A return of Pearson + Martinez would be terrible.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Muzzin isn't what he's made up to be by the church of Corsi. He's a 2nd pairing D, if we trade Landeskog for that I won't bother to watch the games until everyone from the FO is gone.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah Muzzin is not really that great. Certainly not worthy of being the main piece in a Landeskog trade, not to mention if it is Martinez. It makes even less sense since the Avs are supposedly trying to get younger.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Scouting Pearson/Muzzin? Blah. They could pull some **** off, but trading with the Kings could turn out to be something really stupid.

And Adrian Kempe who's playing for the Reign is pretty much the only prospect the Kings have.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
- I thought I cleared that up in my last post? You were making the comparison of one player breaking out later on in his career. Not thinking Zads is the next Chara in terms of actual ability.

- Defenders still peak mid 20's but are producing while they're young. Zadorov has not for the avs.

- Hedman by the time he was Zadorov's age was putting up 20+ points and at 22 years old was on pace for 30.

"soon" :) I'll have a german avatar for month if that ever happens.

Not sure what you are saying here. I just said he lacks hockey IQ and some jumped on it.

Context is important. Hedman was averaging over 23 minutes per game in 2011 and finished the season with 23 points. (1:08 power play ice time per game) **Check out his teammates on D that year : Brewer, Kubina, M-A Bergeron, Brett Clark, Gervais and Brian Lee. :laugh:

Zadorov is averaging a little over 18 minutes of ice time per game so far this year and is finally getting a chance on the PP.

Let's see how the 2nd half of the year goes if his opportunity remains the same as it is now, I'll bet he'll get over 20 points. As Tiger alluded, he put up points in the AHL last year (including 10 goals in 52 games) offense isn't a foreign concept with this guy, he's focusing on the defensive part of the game, as he should be.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Haha -4 and -5 for Muzzin and Martinez. They don't want to play for the Avs.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm just hoping that those guys had a freak scheduling occurrence where all three were on layovers in LA and just decided to go to a free game.

I'd say I'd want Tiffoli, but he was injured anyway, so obviously they weren't looking at him.

http://www.canescountry.com/2017/1/9/14160080/nhl-trade-rumors-matt-duchene-carolina-hurricanes-colorado-avalanche-jaccob-slavin-brett-pesce

OMG, dat 1st trade! Hold on, Ima go change my pants.

If you’re including a first rounder, Slavin and Pesce may be interchangeable.

Okay yeah, let's get Slavin instead of Pesce then.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Landeskog has been my favorite non-Penguin for years. I'd love to see him on the Penguins. That being said, it made more sense a few years ago for us than it does now. I don't really think giving up a package around Maatta+Sprong/Guentzel would be worth it with how our roster currently sits, and surely that's what it would take.

Just don't trade him to Philadelphia :D

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Landeskog has been my favorite non-Penguin for years. I'd love to see him on the Penguins. That being said, it made more sense a few years ago for us than it does now. I don't really think giving up a package around Maatta+Sprong/Guentzel would be worth it with how our roster currently sits, and surely that's what it would take.

Just don't trade him to Philadelphia :D

It's not near enough to entice the Avs to move him. Maatta isn't interesting as the main piece in the slightest.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I want to see where our scouts go next.

still think the Stars might be on the watch list. They have a
- B2B with LA and Anaheim
- Goalie need and one of the better situations to be able to take on Varly without sending a long contract back
- crowded D group with quite a few young guys with "upside"
- are still only 5 points out of the coveted 3rd place spot

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It's not near enough to entice the Avs to move him. Maatta isn't interesting as the main piece in the slightest.
I don't know, Maatta is similar to Landeskog in that his stat line doesn't tell the story. He's been absolutely lights out defensively. Second only to Letang in his skill on the breakout. Typically can be counted on for 35 points per season, with a ceiling of probably 40. And Sprong/Guentzel are top-6 winger prospects. Pretty low chance of busting too.

I'm just saying that if there are negotiations with Pittsburgh, Maatta is the only centerpiece that Sakic could be interested in.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I don't know, Maatta is similar to Landeskog in that his stat line doesn't tell the story. He's been absolutely lights out defensively. Second only to Letang in his skill on the breakout. Typically can be counted on for 35 points per season, with a ceiling of probably 40. And Sprong/Guentzel are top-6 winger prospects. Pretty low chance of busting too.

I'm just saying that if there are negotiations with Pittsburgh, Maatta is the only centerpiece that Sakic could be interested in.

Matta has a career high of 29pts and this season is on pace for 18 all while playing with the most offensively gifted forwards in the NHL.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Brad Smith, Garth Joy and Terry Martin have been pro scouts for Avs for ages.

I don't know how an organization can go through the last ten years and figure pro scouting is fine.

Here are the defenders added (outside the draft) since 2008-2009 that have played NHL games for Avs. This is our pro scouting.

Erik Johnson
Nick Holden
Jan Hejda
Kyle Quincey
Francois Beauchemin
Andre Benoit
Zach Redmond
Shane O'Brien
Nate Guenin
Matt Hunwick
Scott Hannan
Ryan O'Byrne
Adam Foote
Brad Stuart
Cory Sarich
Patrick Wiercioch
Fedor Tyutin
Nikita Zadorov
Jonas Holos
Greg Zanon
Andrew Bodnarchuk
Cody Goloubef
David Liffiton
Tom Preissing
Eric Gelinas
Brandon Gormley
Derek Peltier
Shawn Belle
Karl Stollery
Wes O'Neill

It's a given they'll be giddy about Martinez on Kings.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Matta has a career high of 29pts and this season is on pace for 18 all while playing with the most offensively gifted forwards in the NHL.

His next two seasons after his rookie, 29-point season had a pace of 37pts and 33 points, respectively. His numbers have dipped this season, which is odd, but he's allowing just 1.78 goals/60 at even strength (60.5 GF%), which is far and above all other Pittsburgh defenseman who have played over 8 games. In comparison, Letang allows 2.65 GA/60 with a GF% of 48.8%.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
While you are right on those guys often not being the first or even second choice on their lists, you have to admit that it is a horror show.

Add a few decisions like giving up way too much for Brad Stuart, Berra and their complete inability to hit on project Ds, I really would not mind a big shakeup in that department.

I mean who is the last gem those guys have unearthed and when is the last time we got an underappreciated player for cheap from another team that went on to make an impact for us?

Their biggest success lately is arguably Nick Holden. If Nick is your biggest claim to fame over a period of 3-5 years, you are probably not good at your job...

I really hope LA is about to trade for Iggy or Beauch.

Because I really do not want to trade with them when it comes to one of Landy or Duchene. Good thing that Muzzin and Martinez completely crapped the bed last night.

Not that I believe one game has much of an impact on professional opinions but it might help a little. Seeing those guys looking terrible on a way superior team with a way superior defensive set-up might scare them a bit if they imagine those guys performing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino