Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Flames will make the playoffs due to a terrible division, their D is set and they have decent forward group.

As for the Islanders, they are a playoff bubble team, add Duchene there and they finally have someone to take some pressure of off JT.

Those picks could easily be somewhere in the 20-25 range rather than in the lottery.

The Flames are not a guarantee for a playoff spot. They got the Ducks and Oilers ahead of them. Other than Van anyone else could get the third spot. Plus, who knows how good Smith will be.

And NY has to battle with Pitt, The caps, the BJs and the NYR.

I would put money on one of these teams being out of the playoffs.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Magic beans or not, that's big value.

It's either take something like this, do a 1 for 1 swap with a Hanifin type (this ship has probably sailed), or trade for a lesser NHLer and a smaller package of magic beans.

We are not getting a roster player and a big time prospect plus magic beans. We can't have it all. We are trading Duchene, not Crosby.

Maybe not both, a big time prospect and a roster player since there could be 2-3 magic beans, but Isles need to give us at least 1 good young prospect, either Barzal or CDH, 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Islanders and Flames 2018 first rounders would be a great package to roll the dice on with the new lottery odds.

An Islanders fan offered their first round picks next year, a 2nd and Beauvillier for Duchene. That's a pretty good offer. That would give us 3 first round picks next year, possibly another one if Barrie is traded.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
An Islanders fan offered their first round picks next year, a 2nd and Beauvillier for Duchene. That's a pretty good offer. That would give us 3 first round picks next year, possibly another one if Barrie is traded.

I'd absolutely do that. I also happen to really, really like Beauvillier.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
The Flames are not a guarantee for a playoff spot. They got the Ducks and Oilers ahead of them. Other than Van anyone else could get the third spot. Plus, who knows how good Smith will be.

And NY has to battle with Pitt, The caps, the BJs and the NYR.

I would put money on one of these teams being out of the playoffs.

Islanders missed playoffs by 1 point. If they would have traded for Duchene before the last trade deadline, they would probably made playoffs. Isles should be a playoff team with Eberle and Duchene in lineup. Their top 2 lines would be legit.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Taking a purely futures return that takes 2 years+ to impact the team (IF it even does) will have the same effect of "setting back the rebuild".

The difference with Toronto is that they had three stud rookies come in and take the team over. We have our "vets" in Mack, Landeskog, etc kinda sorta filling that role so I somewhat agree with the Toronto point. But the other big difference is that Toronto has an actual coach.

The argument was made that if we can get that futures package now, then we can get it in a year in a half. So either way we are waiting 2+ years for an impact. We can either start that wait now, or a couple years from now.

And those stud rookies were able to come in with no distractions or drama. They had no former core players toes to step on. They didn't have to worry about their lockroom role. They were able to just come in and play. Wether our young guys are studs or not, they deserve the same drama free environment.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I would be ok with the future package from the Isles but only if it includes Barzal or Beauvillier.

LeBrun said that NAS will need to include a third team in order to meet Sakic's demand (a top-4 dman with some NHL experience) because they don't want to include any of their top-4s with reasons...I wouldn't as well. So with that in mind I'm trying to figure out which other team could be involved and I fail to find any. CAR would be one but they want a C and NAS doesn't have one to spare. It would have to be a team that is ok with future but who has a dman that fits our requirement? I think Sakic will have to go with more future and NAS have some very nice pieces even without including Fiala because they need him too much after losing Neil

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Maybe not both, a big time prospect and a roster player since there could be 2-3 magic beans, but Isles need to give us at least 1 good young prospect, either Barzal or CDH, 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

That's absurd. Duchene isn't worth that much even if he continued at his 60 point pace and never had a bad year this past year.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Any news on Landy, I haven't heard anything since the Boston rumours. I know he's got 3 or 4 years left but I dunno maybe dangling him to a team like Vegas wouldn't be the worse idea right now.

Too bad it was Drouin instead of Landy that brought Sergachev back.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That's absurd. Duchene isn't worth that much even if he continued at his 60 point pace and never had a bad year this past year.

Not really. That should be the asking price (Beauvillier as the one coming back) and not a penny less IMO (we should take Kulemin back to make it work for the Isles moneywise, though)...

Mid-late 1sts really are not worth that much IMO...

Hanzal got a mid-late 1st + 2nd at the deadline.

Duchene is worth significantly more. Good draft or not.

If Duchene had a 60+ point year, it would have to be Hanifin coming back. You don't trade a player like that for only picks + prospects..

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Barzal/CDH + 1st + 1st + 2nd

Holy ****, we really have lost our minds. Totally delusional.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Islanders missed playoffs by 1 point. If they would have traded for Duchene before the last trade deadline, they would probably made playoffs. Isles should be a playoff team with Eberle and Duchene in lineup. Their top 2 lines would be legit.

It's not that simple. They still have some damn good teams to beat. And like Calgary, they are weak in goal.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
So, let's look at the gaps given what we have right now (and after the draft), to determine what types of free agents we need to acquire. As I stated all along, I think Duchene will be here, and I also think he'll kick ass.

+ Assume nobody acquired at the draft will have immediate impact.
+ Beauchemin has been bought out (cap still applies).
+ Mcleod is still be acquired.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Sodo - Dutchy - Ghetto
Comeau - Jost - Compher
*Nieto - Colborne - *Grimaldi
(Greer)

*Zad - EJ
Barbs - Barrie
Mirinov - Lindholm
(Bigras)

Varly
XXXXXXXX

So it seems Sakic has to do 4 things if possible:
1. Re-sign Nieto (guess 1)
2. Re-sign Andrighetto (guess 1.25)
3. Re-sign Zadorov (3.75 - bridge)
4. Acquire back-up (1)

We have spent 54 mill (very close) including Mcleod + Beauch.
The Cap floor will be 55.4M
The Cap ceiling will be 75M

Estimated total spend including additional players 61M

Despite such a poor season last season, Avs made 6.3M profit for The Kroenke's after costs.
If we have an equally poor season attendance wise, a reduction in income per above would net Kroenke 12.4M profit.

I'd sign via UFA:
- Dwight King .. need someone to help the PK and I doubt all 3 of Jost/Greer/Grimaldi are full time NHLers next year
- Dmitri Kulikov ... Mironov, Lindholm and Bigras are not all going to make it next year
- Mike Condon to back-up Varly

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
The argument was made that if we can get that futures package now, then we can get it in a year in a half. So either way we are waiting 2+ years for an impact. We can either start that wait now, or a couple years from now.

And those stud rookies were able to come in with no distractions or drama. They had no former core players toes to step on. They didn't have to worry about their lockroom role. They were able to just come in and play. Wether our young guys are studs or not, they deserve the same drama free environment.

For part 1, I would say just don't trade Duchene for futures. If that's our only option (highly doubt it) then you are probably right. From a risk perspective, I just don't think futures is the way to go. And I would be shocked if futures is the only type of deal on the table.

Part 2, I agree for the most part. Are you suggesting trading Duchene will solve all the problems? Yeah I do think it is better if he is traded. But, drama BS exists in every workplace. Especially on a losing team. Now if the Avs were a winning team, would we even hint at a possibility of locker room drama? Doubtful. And if we were a winning team, no way in hell would we want to trade Duchene.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sakic isn't going to trade Duchene for 2018 picks.

A 2018 pick might be a smaller part of the return, but it won't be the bulk.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Beauvillier as a roster player is fine enough but anything less than that is horrid.

EDIT: Not worth it.

You don't trade a player like Duchene just for a couple of mid-late 1sts. Odds are that will make you look like pretty terrible pretty soon...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'd do something like:

Duchene + Barbeiro

Halak, Pelech, Barzal, Islanders 2018 1st.

See, I'm reasonable. I'm kind. I'm fair. I even help Islanders cap situation.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

Injury prone Hamonic with poor play last season gave Isles a 1st and a 2nd rounder. Sakic was reported not even being interested in Hamonic at all. It does not have to be Barzal or CDH, it could be Beauvillier. 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder (second rounder instead of another prospect).

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
We need a goalie, a D (please no Alzner or Kulikov) and a couple of depth forwards.

It's all but guaranteed that Kulikov will be our #1LHD next season next to EJ.

Luckily that will help us with another top-5 pick in a great draft.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Beauvillier as a roster player is fine enough but anything less than that is horrid.

EDIT: Not worth it.

You don't trade a player like Duchene just for a couple of mid-late 1sts. Odds are that will make you look like pretty terrible pretty soon...

We traded OReilly for Zadorov (mid-1st), #31 (last-1st) and Compher (2nd). McGinn/Grigo cancel each other out.

You think Duchene is worth that, plus another 2nd, and a top prospect?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Back in March of 2015, I posted this:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=98495363&highlight=how+deal#post98495363

The pertinent verbage here:

"I'm now going back to two personal theories that got me fairly eviscerated in here earlier this year: That Sakic/Roy think like players rather than executives (particularly when it comes to UFA status), and that they simply don't know how to negotiate a deal. Or when to negotiate one."

I fear that nepotism may be biting us in the ass once again, my friends. If Sakic is going to remain as the team's GM, they simply must get someone in there who can properly negotiate deals with other GMs. This is brutal.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We traded OReilly for Zadorov (mid-1st), #31 (last-1st) and Compher (2nd). McGinn/Grigo cancel each other out.

I believe Buffalo got a 2nd round pick for McGinn. Don't believe the Avs could get that for Grigorenko.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Landy to Dallas for Honka (who I believe is a LHD?), Lehtonen/Niemi, a middling prospect, and a 1st.

I'm not completely sure if they would be willing to move Honka as they need D just like us but either way, maybe we can take on one of Niemi or Lehtonen in a cap dump deal and get a pick out of it even if it doesn't involve Landy. Either way, use that cap space to take on some dumps and acquire picks, don't waste it on multi-year deals on a Justin Williams or even Kulikov type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad