Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2016-17 Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I can't wait to see that monster UFA contract Shattenkirk signs for, especially because it won't be with the Avs. The back-end of that contract is gonna be U-G-L-Y.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
A better Avs roster doesn't mean it translates to optimism. We've already had enough of that over the years. I'm expecting better results than last year, because if that didn't happen this team would fold and be headed to Seattle/Quebec because it's so hopeless.

Not neccessarily, but i think its no coincidence, that the year we had the best roster on paper recently, was the year, when we won the Central Division and made playoffs. I recall the moment when we drafted MacKinnon and i thought of top-six of Duchene, Stastny, O´Reilly, Landeskog, still good Parenteau and MacK and i just knew the next season would be 100 percent better than 2013 was. Later it was absolutely not surprising we were getting worse and worse by the year, as we were losing important players like Stastny and O´Reilly, replacing them with 100 years old Iginla or lesser players like Soderberg... and final coffin to the nail, signing another 100 years old Beauchemin, who everyone wants to rid now, before his contract expires. While we could possibly get Sekera at the time.:cry:

I think our rebuild was sort of right on track in 2014, we definitely needed to improve the defense, but here we come 3 years later and still need to do what? Improve the defense. I think we should really concentrate now on who we trade Duchene for, its either comparable defensive player (first pairing or upcoming first pairing, someone like Fowler, Faulk or Hanifin) or bust, but dont you ever trade him for projects, lesser players (second pairing) or bunch of lower picks, like some people suggest (so we just do something to shake things up) because come next year will we be speculating once again who to trade MacKinnon for to improve the defense.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd still want Shattenkirk despite his rough looking playoffs. Not at 7 mil or anything. But if we could get him somewhere around 6m AAV long term I'd be down.

There are no other UFA's out there I care for though.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Between Landeskog needing a wedge to balance his hips in order to skate properly, and Duchene overthinking himself into oblivion, perhaps both should be moved this summer.

Duchene, I've accepted since about November he will be gone. I love Landeskog, but that whole back tweak/uneven pelvis makes me weary of how valuable he will be in three years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Between Landeskog needing a wedge to balance his hips in order to skate properly, and Duchene overthinking himself into oblivion, perhaps both should be moved this summer.

Duchene, I've accepted since about November he will be gone. I love Landeskog, but that whole back tweak/uneven pelvis makes me weary of how valuable he will be in three years.

I agree that's scary. Wish I didn't even read that.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I agree that's scary. Wish I didn't even read that.

It is something that the Avs management may have to consider, but we really don't know the long term prognosis or whether it is degenerative in nature. It may be completely under control with the skate adjustment.

Other players deal with some potentially worrisome issues, like Tyler Seguin, who has a degenerative hip condition.

The ESPN article linked below from 2011 discusses Tyler Seguin's condition and it discusses Tim Thomas and David Krejci having hip surgery prior to 2011.

http://www.espn.com/boston/nhl/stor...on-bruins-tyler-seguin-predisposed-hip-injury

"It's important to note that hip disorders are common among hockey players. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli estimated that 70 percent of his players have hip issues and that it is "nothing to be alarmed about." Chiarelli insisted Seguin's condition is not serious."

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It is something that the Avs management may have to consider, but we really don't know the long term prognosis or whether it is degenerative in nature. It may be completely under control with the skate adjustment.

Other players deal with some potentially worrisome issues, like Tyler Seguin, who has a degenerative hip condition.

The ESPN article linked below from 2011 discusses Tyler Seguin's condition and it discusses Tim Thomas and David Krejci having hip surgery prior to 2011.

http://www.espn.com/boston/nhl/stor...on-bruins-tyler-seguin-predisposed-hip-injury

"It's important to note that hip disorders are common among hockey players. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli estimated that 70 percent of his players have hip issues and that it is "nothing to be alarmed about." Chiarelli insisted Seguin's condition is not serious."

I'm not going to pretend to be a doctor so yes, we shouldn't jump to conclusions. But most of us seemed to agree when Landeskog was a rookie that his style of play will likely lead to a short prime and an early trend downwards. At 24 pretty much every statistic has trended downward year after year over the last few seasons. Every season there seems to be talks of him playing through injuries such as his shoulder and his more recent "lower body injury". Now on top of that we find out about this pelvis issue.

I'm worried and I think it's warranted.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Absolutely.

What's the alternative? Throw up our hands and completely give up? Not sure why everyone wants to envelope everything the team does in mire. This isn't a good idea. That's not a good idea. This isn't going to work. That's not going to work. There's no hope. No-one wants to play for us.

X Zadorov played top pair while EJ was injured and accounted for himself beautifully. Why can't that continue WITH EJ around (another player people are ripping at the moment)?

X Barberio spent time on our top 4 this past season, and we actually looked the better for it. People can deny all they like, but he was a great pick-up, added value, and had compete in everything he did. Yes, I have him on the 2nd pair.

X I suggested Shattenkirk, yes. We were RUMOURED to be one of the teams he was open to coming through this season. Despite what people will have you believe, we still are a desired place to play - example - Mirinov moving continents, and taking a massive pay-cut to throw our jersey on next season - and wouldn't have done so for a place in the AHL.

X I included 32, because people here think he may not be bought out. If that's the case, then yes, he'll be on the team. He improved towards the end of the season. He's not as horrible as some say. Could he be better? Sure. Whole team could. But I'd most certainly be happy with him imparting his wisdom with Mirinov (a current bronze world championship medalist).

Jeez, I wish people would think more positively. Bring on next season. Prove all the nay sayers wrong Avs.

Being optimistic simply for the sake of being optimistic is silly. There's nothing on earth wrong with negativity, if that negativity is based in factual information. Some of us refer to that as "reality".

As for your projected lineup, that 2nd pairing is brutal. Barberio is simply a lousy hockey player without the puck. I personally believe that describes Barrie fairly well also, but Barberio is much worse. He's actually not too bad when he is in possession of the puck. But when he's defending and the other team is in possession? He's really not good. And of course, his partner is a phantom. ;)

And the top pairing? When did Zadorov acquit himself "beautifully" on the top pairing? He certainly showed flashes there, no doubt. But that dude is a work in progress. He showed some astoundingly poor decision making and positional play also. I get that Colorado is unlikely to have a better option than him next to Johnson, but they'll be throwing him to the wolves a bit if they do that.

No, my friend. The Avs are going to quite likely be in for another rough season. But there's really no way to tell right now. Certainly, Sakic has to make significant changes. My fear is that he'll instead a few make cosmetic ones, refer to them all as positive meaningful changes, and go into next season with a similar team that we lived through this season. We shall see relatively soon.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yeah....hearing that about Landy makes me *somewhat* more open to moving him now. That's permanent, and it doesn't sound that good.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Problem is, other teams are going to have to factor that into any Landy trade discussions as well. It's going to be tough to find the right value.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I have a hunch Barberio develops into a decent top 4. I'd love to not lose him to Vegas, because as that guy last page said, I thought he was an excellent pickup last season.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The avs should buy low on Eberle and Kane and trade Kane at the deadline, and then Eberle next deadline

I actually think this is a great idea. Buying low on guys who have been productive in the past who need another shot elsewhere. Use them as stop gaps for some offensive depth instead of using plugs, and if things do go poorly just let them go or move them for cheap.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I actually think this is a great idea. Buying low on guys who have been productive in the past who need another shot elsewhere. Use them as stop gaps for some offensive depth instead of using plugs, and if things do go poorly just let them go or move them for cheap.

If things go poorly and have to let them go or sell them for cheap then we just lost an assest for nothing. How low are we talking about?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Those two players aren't coming for free. Sure they'd be assets to move at the deadline but we'd have to move assets to get them in the first place. Whether or not the deadline asset gained outweighs what we give up now or not depends on how they perform in Colorado. Based on how everybody else performs in Colorado I'd guess that wouldn't be very good.

No need of taking the risk of giving up assets for guys like that. Especially when we have enough youth to fill the team already.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I didn't see this posted or commented on previously, but I found this item in Terry Frei's Tim Army article interesting:

"He also cited the injuries to defenseman Erik Johnson (broken leg), goaltender Semyon Varlamov (groin muscle issues and season-ending hip surgery) and even a Matt Duchene concussion that, in retrospect, seemed to derail his season."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/24/tim-army-former-avalanche-assistant/

When did Duchene have a concussion? For some reason I am drawing a complete blank.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I didn't see this posted or commented on previously, but I found this item in Terry Frei's Tim Army article interesting:

"He also cited the injuries to defenseman Erik Johnson (broken leg), goaltender Semyon Varlamov (groin muscle issues and season-ending hip surgery) and even a Matt Duchene concussion that, in retrospect, seemed to derail his season."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/24/tim-army-former-avalanche-assistant/

When did Duchene have a concussion? For some reason I am drawing a complete blank.

November 11th.

Funny, Duchene lead the team with 11 points in 12 games before that game where he was concussed. Mackinnon was 2nd on the team with 7. I often forget about the concussion this year since it kept him out for a few games but now that I look at the stats it isn't hard to see when things started going south for Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad