Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 19-20 part XXXVI | “Who needs C's with all these D's?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Pretty new to Twitter and looking for any recommendations for who I should follow for REPUTABLE Avs news and rumors. Thanks.

Just go to the NHL section of the athletic, and scroll down to the bottom right where there is a staff list. Click on their names and that should be a good start.

I'm not sure where to go on TSN and Sportsnet, but those would also be good places to start.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
As much as I enjoy Sakic's rhetoric, there was literally 0 reason for him to make that trade unless he has substantial free agents ready to sign or a trade lined up.

He cannot honestly think that the position that screwed them out of the conference finals (a 2C) is going to magically solve itself by trading away the 2nd best center on the team.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Looking at the roster the avs need at least:

1 top 6 forward
1 middle 6 forward

I honestly have no idea what the bottom 9 would look like. I would like a line of nieto - kam - doonskoi though.

I would assume that would mean
x - mack - rants
lando - jost - x
calvert - compher -kerfoot
nieeto - kam - doonskoi

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I think it was the right time to trade Soderberg if the playoffs were any indication of how he was going to be this season, but I would've liked a different return.

I'm not going to hedge my bets on anything else happening at the center position. I definitely think the plan going forward is that Jost/Compher/Kerfoot will battle for 2C in training camp. If none of them emerge then you start talking about trading a defenseman for a more capable 2C.

I'm hoping we can get some good wingers. I'd be happy with Zucc, but would like to add another for sure. Could see us going after an upside guy like Burakovsky, Puljujarvi, etc.

Landeskog-MacK-xxx
xxx-Kerfoot-Rantanen
Wilson-Jost-Compher
Nieto-Kamenev-Calvert

Girard-EJ
Zadorov-Barrie
Cole-Makar

Grubauer
Francouz

It's never going to happen, but I wish we had some guts and offersheeted someone like Aho. I'd be very comfortable with Landeskog-Mack and Aho-Rantanen duos in the top 6.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As much as I enjoy Sakic's rhetoric, there was literally 0 reason for him to make that trade unless he has substantial free agents ready to sign or a trade lined up.

He cannot honestly think that the position that screwed them out of the conference finals (a 2C) is going to magically solve itself by trading away the 2nd best center on the team.

It won't, so he'll need to get an upgrade in order to justify the deal. Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt here...I think we can all agree here that Joe isn't a moron.

I don't know if something's brewing or not, but I imagine something has to be in order for him to make this deal, unless Chayka had a small window to do this deal and it was a now-or-never sort of thing. But even then, they still have even more options than before both via trade and free agency. I really don't think this offseason ends with this move.

And I'll say this again, Soda ain't this ideal 3C everyone keeps saying he is. He didn't do well anytime he was ensconced in a bottom-six role. It was only when he got into that quasi-2C role that he excelled. So it's possible Joe recognized that, and moved him as a result. 3C/4C is probably going to be some combination of Kamenev/Jost/Compher. They also have Toninato, though I imagine if they re-up him they'll send him down since he's still waiver exempt.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

Yeah I might be naive but I agree. He identified secondary scoring as a need earlier in the summer. He acknowledged that Jost struggled with his demotion. I can kind of see him looking at Kerfoot as a ~solution just because I believe there's a huge gap between the fan perception of him vs the front office (they're in love with him IMO).

But there are four center spots to fill and only two (being ultra generous to Kerfoot and his production here) who have shown the ability to fill them. It just doesn't add up.

Dumping an expiring but productive contract to "let the kids play" is something that a rebuilding team does. There's no way that Sakic thinks this team is at that point still.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Some on here are even more prone to overreaction than me, and that's sayin' something. From the rumored deal with VAN that never happened to this, y'all are like
RequiredEarnestCur-max-1mb.gif

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I think it was the right time to trade Soderberg if the playoffs were any indication of how he was going to be this season, but I would've liked a different return.

I'm not going to hedge my bets on anything else happening at the center position. I definitely think the plan going forward is that Jost/Compher/Kerfoot will battle for 2C in training camp. If none of them emerge then you start talking about trading a defenseman for a more capable 2C.

I'm hoping we can get some good wingers. I'd be happy with Zucc, but would like to add another for sure. Could see us going after an upside guy like Burakovsky, Puljujarvi, etc.

Landeskog-MacK-xxx
xxx-Kerfoot-Rantanen
Wilson-Jost-Compher
Nieto-Kamenev-Calvert

Girard-EJ
Zadorov-Barrie
Cole-Makar

Grubauer
Francouz

It's never going to happen, but I wish we had some guts and offersheeted someone like Aho. I'd be very comfortable with Landeskog-Mack and Aho-Rantanen duos in the top 6.

This makes sense.

I would hope for:

Landeskog-MacK-Rants
zucs-kadri/statsny-Kerfoot
Doonskoi-Jost-Compher
Nieto-Kamenev-Calvert

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When do the UFA signings start to leak? I know we usually hear before July 1. I just can’t remember how long before.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pretty new to Twitter and looking for any recommendations for who I should follow for REPUTABLE Avs news and rumors. Thanks.

Here's a good starting base for a new account then you can add/remove whoever you want:

Absolute best for NHL scoops: Friedman (can't believe no one mentioned him?)
Most trustable sources: McKenzie, LeBrun
Other insiders: Dreger, Kypreos, Lavoie
Avs: Clark, Haefele, Dater

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
It won't, so he'll need to get an upgrade in order to justify the deal. Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt here...I think we can all agree here that Joe isn't a moron.

I don't know if something's brewing or not, but I imagine something has to be in order for him to make this deal, unless Chayka had a small window to do this deal and it was a now-or-never sort of thing. But even then, they still have even more options than before both via trade and free agency. I really don't think this offseason ends with this move.

And I'll say this again, Soda ain't this ideal 3C everyone keeps saying he is. He didn't do well anytime he was ensconced in a bottom-six role. It was only when he got into that quasi-2C role that he excelled. So it's possible Joe recognized that, and moved him as a result. 3C/4C is probably going to be some combination of Kamenev/Jost/Compher. They also have Toninato, though I imagine if they re-up him they'll send him down since he's still waiver exempt.
I think it was the year Bednar came in, Soderberg was basically relegated to the 4th line and he was pretty unhappy. He was so bad and everyone wanted to dump him. Then he turned it around and kind of carved out the role he plays right now.

If he isn't playing the role that he his playing right now, then he is not an effective player. He was starting to show signs of decline in the playoffs and I would seriously question if he is able to still play that role for us next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad