Post-Game Talk: Avs - Preds 5-4 || Ice Hockey

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My thoughts are on Wilson is that he has the all the tools and talent to be a solid #3/4 defensemen. Over the years he has seemed to lose a step on his skating and is more passive. I think him getting and staying healthy would do wonders for him in both areas. Sadly, I don't think he will ever stay healthy long enough to start to live up to his potential. At a certain point, both the player and organization need a clean break and a fresh start. IMO it would be the best thing for Wilson's career.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What an absolutely horrendous player evaluation of our 4th best defenseman. I'm glad the coaching staff and management don't feel the same way.

To be quite fair, he's been playing like trash all season. He's reached the Guenin/Holden level of play and is 3rd pairing/scratch material.

The only positive thing he's done all season when healthy is make a few decent hits. His defensive lapses have gotten worse than they were in the past and his offensive instincts seem to have disappeared almost overnight.

Wilson needs to be traded, he needs to start over somewhere else before he forces himself out of the league.

E: Oh, looks like Hench beat me to the punch there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is there any team in the league with a group of slower defenders than Avs have?

EJ and Barrie are above average, but not great skaters.
Hedja is an average skater.
Benoit, Holden, Guenin, Wilson are significantly below average.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pretty sure Patrick and management have Holden, Guenin and slow man Cory Sarich ahead of your boy.

Roy easily has Guenin, Benoit, and Holden ahead of Wilson. He's probably pretty even with Sarich. Willie played better the last couple games though I thought.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Huh? Barrie's a fantastic skater. EJ is, yes, above-average.

But yes, we probably have the league's slowest D. Especially if Holden's in there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Huh? Barrie's a fantastic skater. EJ is, yes, above-average.

But yes, we probably have the league's slowest D. Especially if Holden's in there.

Barrie has good mobility and good puck control while skating, but his top speed is limited. He gets beaten in foot races by guys who aren't all that fast.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

It helps that our offense is probably one of the fastest in NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I'd say EJ and Barrie are good with Hejda being above average (his mobility and edge work are severely underrated). All 3 have good edge work and agility on their skates. EJ is too big to be an excellent skater, but is very good for his size. His first step leaves a lot of be desired though. Barrie doesn't have top end speed but a very good first step and edge work.

IMO speed on defense is overrated. Give me a skater with great edge work and agility with average top end speed over a player with average edge work and ability and excellent top end speed. Also the smaller the defensemen, the better their first step needs to be. Guenin being 6'3" doesn't need a great first step to be effective in the defensive zone because he covers more area, but a player like Barrie who is 5'10" needs to have a great first step to be effective.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barrie can pivot and walk the blue line with the puck, so by Avs standards he's a magician.

I don't know how it's possible, but both EJ and Barrie looks faster carrying the puck than in a foot race without the puck.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Barrie isn't a fantastic skater by any means, especially for an undersized defenseman.

One thing which Barrie really needs to improve in order to get next level is his balance. He's like last year's Palushaj. He just couldn't stay on his skates. Always falling down, same with Barrie. He looks way too weak on skates.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Barrie can pivot and walk the blue line with the puck, so by Avs standards he's a magician.

I don't know how it's possible, but both EJ and Barrie looks faster carrying the puck than in a foot race without the puck.

This year It just looks like EJ is above everyone in hockey sense(! St.Louis fans were saying he doesn't have toolbox, which is BS), I know this sounds weird, but he looks to make right decision every time and he doesn't panic with the puck. He's never in hurry, because he doesn't have to be, he's thinking at higher level than last year. Way higher. He looks like proper #1 defenseman out there with Hejda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad