Post-Game Talk: Avs - Preds 5-4 || Ice Hockey

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Love them or hate them, Avs fans better get used to them.

Holden-Guenin will be the 3rd or 4th pair next year. Both are on good $ contracts, and seem to have the eye of Sakic and Roy.

I think they will make a good complementary pairing. The experience they are gaining this year will only help them to solidify their game.

They are terrible skaters and would get abused. I would rather see a Holden-Barrie pairing that plays when the Avs can match lines and shelter them. I would rather not see Holden play every night, but he's finally playing well.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Probably not. This is the BEST start in Avalanche history and we have had some GREAT TEAMS. This is not one of those great teams, YET.

Look at Patrick's first season coaching in QMJHL. He had his best record and the greatest success in his first season and now again GREAT first season in NHL with this current team. Players probably just overachieve with Patrick for first season for some reason. He just inspires them or something.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4688

Can't compare those two. In Major Junior one year you have stars, next year they are gone and you left with much worse team than year before.
Roy after first season lost his arguably best player Radulov. Because his team never sucked and always was playoff team (just to compare it to Mooseheads as they really sucked before drafting Drouin and trading for MacK) he didn't have such players as MacK or Drouin.

So we shall see how he will work in his second and further season as he keeps current Colorado stars - at least most of them.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I think there are a lot of players in the league who are just coasting along waiting for the Olympics.

I don't think he is coasting, though. I just think he presses too hard sometimes. What he is learning, which is encouraging, is how to play winning hockey when the pucks aren't going in.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Did he look like Roy took the leash off of him or something? Holden usually pinches a lot but misreads them 50% of the time. His defensive lapses are why I'd still put Guenin in over him though.

I just hope he doesn't give Roy a false sense of security and cause him to not upgrade the defense.

Made a few mistakes, but I never watched the whole game. However, he was atrocious on the PK (5 on 3), was playing too high in the slot and resulted in an easy tap in for the Preds. However, he shouldn't be in that position anyways.

On a complete sidenote, Barrie looked lost again. Was running around in the defensive zone multiple times, got caught puck watching and was out of position heading out of the neutral zone, etc.

I don't feel comfortable knowing one of Barrie, Guenin, and Holden all being (basically) regulars at the moment, all of them make too many mistakes in their own zone.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
To people that always say the Avs sit back on their leads or blow leads, very often it is the other team that elevates their play to start a come back. Why don't we hear the same guys say the other team sat on their lead when we come back to get a point or win? Instead all we hear is that we finally started to play in the third or whatever. I would argue that most of the time it's the other team that start playing more desperate hockey like we do in those situations.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Made a few mistakes, but I never watched the whole game. However, he was atrocious on the PK (5 on 3), was playing too high in the slot and resulted in an easy tap in for the Preds. However, he shouldn't be in that position anyways.

On a complete sidenote, Barrie looked lost again. Was running around in the defensive zone multiple times, got caught puck watching and was out of position heading out of the neutral zone, etc.

I don't feel comfortable knowing one of Barrie, Guenin, and Holden all being (basically) regulars at the moment, all of them make too many mistakes in their own zone.

Add Wilson to that list

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Love them or hate them, Avs fans better get used to them.

Holden-Guenin will be the 3rd or 4th pair next year. Both are on good $ contracts, and seem to have the eye of Sakic and Roy.

I think they will make a good complementary pairing. The experience they are gaining this year will only help them to solidify their game.

The problem with this statement is that Roy seems to really like Benoit too. And we all know Barrie should continue to be given a spot to develop since it's the only way he'll ever work out the kinks in his game.

Then next year we've also got Elliott who has to be up or some team will claim him surely.

Our defense cannot be consistent of Hejda-EJ and some rotation of Benoit/Barrie/Elliott/Guenin/Holden... it would be no improvement whatsoever.

2 of those 5 are RFAs, 2 are signed through next season and only Benoit is a UFA. I hate the idea of Roy selling Barrie or Elliott before they get more of a chance to develop with us, but we also need a UFA shutdown defender to pair with them and Benoit is NOT that.

So.... what do we do? Heh.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The problem with this statement is that Roy seems to really like Benoit too. And we all know Barrie should continue to be given a spot to develop since it's the only way he'll ever work out the kinks in his game.

Then next year we've also got Elliott who has to be up or some team will claim him surely.

Our defense cannot be consistent of Hejda-EJ and some rotation of Benoit/Barrie/Elliott/Guenin/Holden... it would be no improvement whatsoever.

2 of those 5 are RFAs, 2 are signed through next season and only Benoit is a UFA. I hate the idea of Roy selling Barrie or Elliott before they get more of a chance to develop with us, but we also need a UFA shutdown defender to pair with them and Benoit is NOT that.

So.... what do we do? Heh.

I still think only 1 of Barrie/Elliott is on the team next season and that Wilson will be traded if he does not solidify a hold as the 2nd pairing LHD.

Benoit has been a place holder IMO for Bigras, Holden, and Siemens who will fight out for the bottom 2 spots on LHD, but could take the 3rd pairing spot again if those 3 still look to be too far away by the end of the year.

I'm not saying it is my preference, but that is what I see happening.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
22:30
22:22
25:11
20:17

That's how much Holden has played the last four games. Part of it is probably Roy not wanting to overplay EJ and Wilson & Barrie being a bit shaky sitting on leads lately. Benoit too, for that matter, but someone has to play I guess.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Holden seems to have upside potential, let's see what happens as year goes. Barrie as well, even Wilson if he stops making terrible mental errors could help. Benoit? Maybe, it's a d line up full of maybe yes or no. Elliot likewise. I'm not certain how to say we need two more jan hadjes.. Work horse types to bolster core defense. And, while getting a two way all star would be great, there are only so many of those and I don't see Roy giving up a winger for one.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Wilson has been bad for a long ass time. Hes not the same guy that used to hit people. Hes pretty much a taller version of Greg Zanon. Hes that bad

Yep. He looks turrible. Slow as mole and always out of position. He's a mess. Still good for hit or two per game. How long can you wait for him to get back to form? he's probably done.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
To people that always say the Avs sit back on their leads or blow leads, very often it is the other team that elevates their play to start a come back. Why don't we hear the same guys say the other team sat on their lead when we come back to get a point or win? Instead all we hear is that we finally started to play in the third or whatever. I would argue that most of the time it's the other team that start playing more desperate hockey like we do in those situations.

It's easier to complain about our team rather than compliment the other for pushing back.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Yep. He looks turrible. Slow as mole and always out of position. He's a mess. Still good for hit or two per game. How long can you wait for him to get back to form? he's probably done.

He'll find his form eventually, as he's being stretchered out of the arena.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How did Holden play in this game, not including his points. He played awesome against New Jersey last week but I missed this game. Was he solid again or were the few offensive moments that showed up on the scoresheet his only positives?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
How did Holden play in this game, not including his points. He played awesome against New Jersey last week but I missed this game. Was he solid again or were the few offensive moments that showed up on the scoresheet his only positives?

He was good, especially in the offensive zone. He was as guilty as everyone else for stopping moving in the defensive zone in the third.

I still have the feeling when I watch him that the game is too fast for his feet and his brain, but he's new to this level so it's possible he'll be able to adjust.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Someone said it seems like Roy likes his D.. It's the only D he has and they're all playing well above their heads. These guys aren't NHL Defensemen, some of them are pushing their luck at the AHL level too.

A guy can't very well hate on a bad player who you know is bad before you even acquire them.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Nah Wilson doesnt hit anymore. He used to stretch guys out every other game. I cant think of the last time we seen him lay anyone out in the last 3 yrs. Hes slow, can barely turn left, has next to no offense, cant make a 5 foot pass. He needs to be off this team. hes a liability. As slow and as bad as Holden is atleast he puts up the occasional point. Wilson is just a black hole for offense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nah Wilson doesnt hit anymore. He used to stretch guys out every other game. I cant think of the last time we seen him lay anyone out in the last 3 yrs. Hes slow, can barely turn left, has next to no offense, cant make a 5 foot pass. He needs to be off this team. hes a liability. As slow and as bad as Holden is atleast he puts up the occasional point. Wilson is just a black hole for offense.

017150e72627eb508809e78424a7da66a3fede8b5b419e35bf7cf1b84e8b73d6.jpg

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

What an absolutely horrendous player evaluation of our 4th best defenseman. I'm glad the coaching staff and management don't feel the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad