GDT: Avs @ Pens - 5PM Mountain - The George-netto Avalanche

How many more road wins will we get in a row?

Votes: 10 25.6%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 7 17.9%

Votes: 8 20.5%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 9 23.1%

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I thought nobody was passable today, but if you think Byram was our best player, that's a really low-standard blud.
Five or so guys played ok. Shots and high danger chances about the same. Game was closer than the score.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Every game you can pretty much tell how the team is gonna look based on how Nate looks. I don’t know if they feed off his energy pre game and during the game, or if he gets the rest of the team dialed in with his interactions with teammates when he’s dialed in, but it’s almost money in the bank.

Like the rest of the team, Nate just didn’t have it tonight, and you now he’s gonna be pissed that Sid scored off a bad turnover from him. Almost looked like Sid knew it too, he was joking on the bench a lot afterwards.

Bedsy blew his chance to give Georgie a rest. Sounds like he's going back to him after a couple days off in Buffalo.

Avs need to quit screwing around and put Byram on PP2. By far their best three chances came from him, and he almost had another earlier, plus setup some nice ones himself. He’s just so much more creative out there, than all the other D besides Makar, he can create things even when the other team is playing well. Avs need to take advantage of that skill, it’s too rare not to.

Anybody criticizing Bo is showing their confirmation bias. Literally all the D men played poorly, had defensive lapses, and bad turnovers in this game. Bo had a couple tough moments early, but was easily their best defenseman tonight.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Oof, burn the tape here.
Not looked at analytics cards yet, but fresh from watching the game the morning after, the only passable ones were
Forwards:
Colton
Wood
4th line

I'll give Nuke a pass too

Defense
Byram

The rest were trash.
Girard and Toews absolute horrorshows.
Might be Toewsers worst game for us.
Mack had nothing, Rants was so anonymous, RyJo kept missing easy passes (at least did not pass twice for the Pens goals like G).

Also Georgiev couldn't bail us out.

On to the next

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cale nailed it in the post game.

“Our game and our team kind of gets exposed, when everybody’s not playing that fast game, and we’re not in the right spots.”

Bednar's system might be the best in the NHL, but they're vulnerable when they don't skate, because they don't play a very physical or emotional game to generate momentum. So they have to skate well on the forecheck and backceck to break up plays and get to the right spots on the ice to make the system work properly.

This is why they lost to Vegas in the playoffs and why they lose most games now. Glad the players realize it too.

Reactions: katfude

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Well....due for this one. The weird psychology of playing Crosby seems to get to Nate. Just a listless poor effort. The schedule went West Coast, short home stint, then to East coast... so early season travel fatigue. I know Drouin is this years whipping boy, but Jarry made a beauty on his one timer. Think he should have 2-3 goals by now if he wasn't snake bit. Honestly just looks like they were severely fatigued and getting back in the swing of NHL travel. I liked Prostate's lack of rebounds in his short appearance. He is huge. Rantanen was a complete ghost, but so was everyone else. Whatever......@#$%! Nevermind, this team @#$#in sucks!

Reactions: Snow Arc

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Every game you can pretty much tell how the team is gonna look based on how Nate looks. I don’t know if they feed off his energy pre game and during the game, or if he gets the rest of the team dialed in with his interactions with teammates when he’s dialed in, but it’s almost money in the bank.

Like the rest of the team, Nate just didn’t have it tonight, and you now he’s gonna be pissed that Sid scored off a bad turnover from him. Almost looked like Sid knew it too, he was joking on the bench a lot afterwards.

Bedsy blew his chance to give Georgie a rest. Sounds like he's going back to him after a couple days off in Buffalo.

Avs need to quit screwing around and put Byram on PP2. By far their best three chances came from him, and he almost had another earlier, plus setup some nice ones himself. He’s just so much more creative out there, than all the other D besides Makar, he can create things even when the other team is playing well. Avs need to take advantage of that skill, it’s too rare not to.

Anybody criticizing Bo is showing their confirmation bias. Literally all the D men played poorly, had defensive lapses, and bad turnovers in this game. Bo had a couple tough moments early, but was easily their best defenseman tonight.
I don't think it's fair to say 29 didn't have it tonight. Nate and Nuke were 2 of the better forwards. It wasn't 29s best game but he was easily one of the more noticable forwards.

I really don't give a shit if the advance stats say otherwise. Eye test is all that really matters and 29 and 13 were out trying to make something happen. They were noticable in a good way while others not so much.

I don't disagree that 29 is the bus driver but he was ok last night, his "passengers" looked like shit. 96 and 8 we're especially terrible. Some nights the team just doesn't have it, and outside like 3 or 4 guys it was pretty awful last night.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well....due for this one. The weird psychology of playing Crosby seems to get to Nate. Just a listless poor effort. The schedule went West Coast, short home stint, then to East coast... so early season travel fatigue. I know Drouin is this years whipping boy, but Jarry made a beauty on his one timer. Think he should have 2-3 goals by now if he wasn't snake bit. Honestly just looks like they were severely fatigued and getting back in the swing of NHL travel. I liked Prostate's lack of rebounds in his short appearance. He is huge. Rantanen was a complete ghost, but so was everyone else. Whatever......@#$%! Nevermind, this team @#$#in sucks!
Lol Nate plays against Crosby just fine. In fact his games against Pittsburgh are usually some is his better regular season games.

It was just a bad overall team effort. If you want to bag some players for last night look at 8 and 96 they were f***ing terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
This is why they lost to Vegas in the playoffs and why they lose most games now. Glad the players realize it too.

If they realize it too, maybe they should avoid playing like that. :D

As i said, last night was the first real "stinker" of the season. It wont be the last one in 82 games. As long as Makar & Company can limit the amount of such games to a certain degree, we will be fine.

They will bounce back on Sunday. Especially Mac. Losing 3 in a row against his buddy Sid....... That hurts for a player like him.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
First "stinker" of the season......

Well, it had to happen. On to Buffalo and EJ.
I'm not sure I remember EVER seeing a game like this. It was the craziest no-bounce, nothing working 60 minutes for one team maybe I've ever seen.

For a while there, especially in the first half of the game - it really felt like Mario Lemieux was up in the owner's box with an ACME-style remote control a la Wyle E. Coyote and he would push the big red button to make the puck start to bounce whenever the Avs tried to get control of it.

I honestly wondered if the entire team went out and got loaded the night before for the team's rookie dinner or something ??? It was a winnable game but it was inevitable that there was going to be a stinker at some point, especially after setting the NHL record for road wins.

Congratulations to Sam Girard, Josh Manson and Nate MacKinnon who still managed to get points with beautiful tape-to-tape assists while their team still got shutout... that was a feat in itself.

I expect them to come out swinging on sunday afternoon.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yes there was a big lack of effort tonight. That said it felt like everytime they tried to put some effort the puck would bounced off their sticks, the pass would be in their skates of just a bit out of reach, a PIT's player would have a stick in the way, etc. IMO there were an incredible amount of bad bounces as well.

Just a poor effort combined with a lot of bad luck. A game to forget and move on to the next one. Their effort on Sunday will tell a lot where this team is mentally.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Do we really want JoJo back where he once belonged?
1698427015905.gif

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Pitt played well and the Avs did not.
Don't care about 1 game.
Not an analytics analysis but I thought the entire defense looked bad all 200ft, which caused much of the problems. Power play was so out of sync it looked like a poorly dubbed film.
Still like Drouin with the 3rd line. Brings some skill that complements the other 2.
Nuke is rounding into form, and I like the 4th line for what they are.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think it's fair to say 29 didn't have it tonight. Nate and Nuke were 2 of the better forwards. It wasn't 29s best game but he was easily one of the more noticable forwards.

I really don't give a shit if the advance stats say otherwise. Eye test is all that really matters and 29 and 13 were out trying to make something happen. They were noticable in a good way while others not so much.

I don't disagree that 29 is the bus driver but he was ok last night, his "passengers" looked like shit. 96 and 8 we're especially terrible. Some nights the team just doesn't have it, and outside like 3 or 4 guys it was pretty awful last night.

Nate was trying to score and to win, his execution was just off. His shots were going into the goalies chest and he didn't look as dangerous to score as usual. He just looked off IMO. Plus that turnover in the third was really bad.

He's been off his game a few times this year, but like Mikko, he's so talented he can still put up points. He'll get it straightened out though. He's motivated this season like the Cup year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad