GDT: Avs @ Kings - 11/21/18 8:30PM - Dethroned

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah the conversation really didn't need to continue. But when someone throws shade at your position. Well, when in Rome lol. It wasn't really my intention to go on some rant tbH.

I just don't trust this team completely just yet, and that is a spark.

I mean it was just a question lol not shade.

But yes I get your point.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think this might be the first GDT where there is no post-game talk, i.e. no complaining, bashing, etc. It was just a demolishing derby today, albeit it was still kind of boring for a 7-3 game versus the worst team in the NHL right who also plays arguably the most boring system.

Usually these wins would make you feel good. This game was just like... meh, we slaughtered them, onto the next.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just finished watching the game. Had a game myself tonight.

- Kamenev was on tonight and had a ton of touches. Great to see him get a multi point night.

- Mackinnon and Rants did whatever they wanted tonight. That sauce pass Rants laid for Wilson was just something you come to expect now. I dont really have words to describe his game. We have something special with this kid. Poor Florida.

- LA Kings. Bad at hockey. Whoa. These guys are gonna get that top pick. How long Quick out for? Also, Peter Budaj looks like he shrunk. Damn he small.

- If ever someone needed a goal to save them from being a healthy scratch next game it was Nikita Zadorov. Hell of a goal and an even better reaction. He really really needs to get those penalties out his game. You can see that he looks very unsure of himself right now. Do I pinch? Do I hit? Do I stand here? Do I go there? He needs to find a way out of this.

-I dont like Calvert as a hockey player but I hate cancer more. Great to see him score tonight for mom.

-Varly looked bad tonight. If he plays like that against a good team we are f***ed. That first goal is inexcusable during intramural hockey let alone in the NHL. The Luff was also just complete garbage. I give him some slack on that being that it was 7-1 at the time but come the f*** on. Atleast look like you are trying. Whatever just be better against the Stars.

- Barrie has strung together some great games and tonight was no different. I think from the Edmonton game on. Looks like hes got his swagger back and Newport Sports couldnt be more happy for themselves.

- Loved that they were hounding the puck tonight. Work ethic was there start to finish.

- We should leave Matt Nieto in California. I would actually play Dries over him once the red head kid gets back. I think Nieto misses Blake Comeau alot.

- Our PP is white hot right now. Weird. Very weird saying that. Tim Army thanks for nothing.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Kovalchuk didn't even look like an NHL player tonight.

That´t the problem of Rob Blake now. This guy shouldn´t even be in the NHL anymore.

LA looks bad, really bad. Reminds me of the AVS 2016-2017.... And it´s getting worse. Fat contracts and some NMC that hurt....

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man, if they can't get even reasonable production out of Kovalchuk and he's hit the Iginla wall...yikes. Only way outta that one is an amnesty buyout.

My sympathy for the Kings only extends so far though. I still like Blake, love Kopitar, and Doughty is a'ight...but I can't effing stand Dustin Brown and Dion Phaneuf.

BTW, what the hell happened to Muzzin? At one point he was being touted as a #1 guy in his own right, he was barely noticeable tonight.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Good to see we didn't live up to our own meme of losing to teams we really shouldn't be losing to.

The D actually scored goals tonight which is most shocking. Fun fact, they scored half as many goals tonight as they had combined on the season so far. Probably one real weakness we have that never gets addressed.

Varly had a pretty bad night but luckily we were able to bail him out, hopefully he's better next game.

I feel bad for Soda and Kam, because they're so good at C they will forever just be stuck with mediocre players until they're on the PP. Good games by both tonight.

Nice to see Jost isn't struggling as much anymore, and Wilson had an OK game, but he's still way too high up the depth chart.

Love that Calvert scored one tonight, takes a hell of a lot of character to keep your head in the game when your mother is in the hospital.

Not sure what happened to Long Beach Native Matt Nieto, but he's been awful for awhile now. You'd think that in a contract year he would kick it up a gear or two, but here we are.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I hate to even get into this argument because there’s no way to really win it, there are just two different opinions..... but *I* don’t have any problems with the finish of that game. The game was over after Z’s goal and the King’s were pissed and taking runs at our players, better to escape without injury and take the points imo. Blame the coaches if anything for taking the foot off the gas( and maybe Varly ) for those last two goals.

Anyway, good win and it shows how far we have come in a year and a half. This game we should have won and we took care of business. I’m ecstatic about this team’s future.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Oh man, I feel bad for LA at this point. Let's get this to OT to leapfrog Ottawa

I don't. It wasn't long ago, WE were the ones getting dominated by that team and they had possession of the puck for what seemed like the whole game.

But yeah I don't think Blake is a very good GM. After seeing what happened with Iginla, he should have clued in that signing Kovalchuk to that contract was a HUGE gamble. It's not going to get better. I don't see any other way out than to tear it down and gain as much as you can from the assets that actually have value (that want to move and that you can actually move).

What gets me most about this stat is that Peter Stastny (my boyhood idol) had 139 points in 1981-82 and included in that was an astounding 93 assists. If he's not on that list for that season, he must have racked them up way late in the season or that stat is wrong.

Just finished watching the game. Had a game myself tonight.

- Our PP is white hot right now. Weird. Very weird saying that. Tim Army thanks for nothing.

He was truly an abomination. Thankfully he's now the head coach of the mild's farm team! :laugh:

Funny enough, since we STOLE Ray Bennett from the Blues...their special teams have gone in the dumpster. I guess when you don't really know what you've got and then decide to bring in a 'buddy' to do an important job, it never works out.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Yeah the conversation really didn't need to continue. But when someone throws shade at your position. Well, when in Rome lol. It wasn't really my intention to go on some rant tbH.

I just don't trust this team completely just yet, and that is a spark.

I hear ya but for me I'm just enjoying the ride. I think it plays out pretty much as I've been saying that the Avs are good enough and solid enough to make the playoffs but probably won't be in a position to do any real damage until next year. (unless Sakic makes some moves between now and the deadline)

At the quarter mark of the season, we've had a fantastic start (even if we had a 5 game winless streak) :

- We currently sit in 9th overall in the league
- We've played the most road games of any team in the NHL (13 out of 21)
- We have the 4th best goal differential

In my opinion, this is the best defense we've seen since 2003-04 when we had : Blake, Liles, Foote, Morris (Vaananen :whaaa?:), Skrastins.

There are still more ups and downs to come for sure but this team is starting to get some swagger.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
faltn2I.png

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
- Mackinnon and Rants did whatever they wanted tonight. That sauce pass Rants laid for Wilson was just something you come to expect now. I dont really have words to describe his game. We have something special with this kid. Poor Florida.

I went back to the Panthers 2015 draft thread. Forgot they won their last game of the season which meant the Avs got to pick just ahead of them and selected Rantanen. Hoo boy was their fan base livid.

GDT: - 2015 NHL Entry Draft (At Least we're not Boston) - Round 1

Reading that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I'm mystified that it took the Avs as long as they did to get rid of Army. That PP was awful for years.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The last 5 games have shown that, and we have to face that "devastating" truth, we are a good team. Not "Stanley Cup Contender" good, but "making the playoffs and creating some havoc" good. That's good enough for now. And next year ... WOW ... next year we should aim for this here.

EP-150609929.jpg

Or am i still drunk ?!?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I hate to even get into this argument because there’s no way to really win it, there are just two different opinions..... but *I* don’t have any problems with the finish of that game. The game was over after Z’s goal and the King’s were pissed and taking runs at our players, better to escape without injury and take the points imo. Blame the coaches if anything for taking the foot off the gas( and maybe Varly ) for those last two goals.

Anyway, good win and it shows how far we have come in a year and a half. This game we should have won and we took care of business. I’m ecstatic about this team’s future.
wait till guys like Kaut,Makar, Timmins, OTT pick, Our pick start filling out this roster. Future legit bright this time.

Reactions: 5280

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I went back to the Panthers 2015 draft thread. Forgot they won their last game of the season which meant the Avs got to pick just ahead of them and selected Rantanen. Hoo boy was their fan base livid.

Reading that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I'm mystified that it took the Avs as long as they did to get rid of Army. That PP was awful for years.
I mean Barzal was still on the board, they only have their scouting staff to blame for that pick...Wasn't Barzal supposed to be the Avs pick if Rantanen wasn't there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad