Speculation: Avs interested in William Karlsson

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Ideal situation would be to ask again next summer. Make room in Vegas for Cody Glass. He's not ready yet.

I think the main motivation would be the Cap. Something around 16 + Jost might be a good start. Would get LV that center and cap savings and Avs get an upgrade now at center.

I would assume once LV signs wild bill they would be less inclined to trade him

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think the main motivation would be the Cap. Something around 16 + Jost might be a good start. Would get LV that center and cap savings and Avs get an upgrade now at center.

True. It's just a weird situation. Glass will likely be the 1C of the future but needs another year in the AHL (in my opinion). Stastny is still under contract for two more seasons. But it's unlikely Vegas will look to re-sign him at that point. So then, presuming Glass takes over at 1C, they'll have need for a 2c. And maybe Jost can take the reigns on that but I'm just not convinced. They could just re-sign Eakin to a reasonable deal.

SkoomaShroom

May 1, 2019
As a fan of none of these teams I thought at first the trade was fair, Colorado gets there 2 line center, Vegas gets a great defensive men. But after looking and seeing Barrie putting up more points then Karlsson(I know it was down year for him), I think it would take more then him and Miller who is a good power play quarterback, but already have that filled with the emergence of Makar. Both Colorado and Vegas fans can let me know, if I messed up any of there values, as I don't know these players as well as them.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Lol then what does Colorado add?

Haha I love Wild Bill but that deal was a HFB special kind of bad.

True. It's just a weird situation. Glass will likely be the 1C of the future but needs another year in the AHL (in my opinion). Stastny is still under contract for two more seasons. But it's unlikely Vegas will look to re-sign him at that point. So then, presuming Glass takes over at 1C, they'll have need for a 2c. And maybe Jost can take the reigns on that but I'm just not convinced. They could just re-sign Eakin to a reasonable deal.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they manage. I personally think Glass is ready now and even if he needs some adjusting time VGK has the best wingers in the league by a mile so he would be in a perfect spot. Also just personally I feel JM is a super star and is carrying Bill a bit offensively.
Its not like LV really needs much of anything atm other than ways to stay competitive under the cap and maybe a goalie and I think a basis of 16 and Jost can accomplish both of those things.

Jost would be an RFA so its not like he wouldn't sign.

VGK has a lot of options which is what makes them so much fun. I personally think they are the best team in the west by a good deal.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The compensation for a contract of an AAV of up to $6.3m is a 1st and a 3rd. 16 + Jost is well past what it would cost to acquire an unsigned Karlsson.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The compensation for a contract of an AAV of up to $6.3m is a 1st and a 3rd. 16 + Jost is well past what it would cost to acquire an unsigned Karlsson.

Avs don't have their own 3rd so OS wouldn't be an option. I also don't know what WK wants for a contract but I would have to think if they could get him for 6.3 long term VGK would just find a way to keep him. Freeing up a mil or so in cap space should be very doable.

I'm not saying its a done deal on either side, just that I feel it is at least a reasonable basis for discussion.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Haha I love Wild Bill but that deal was a HFB special kind of bad.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they manage. I personally think Glass is ready now and even if he needs some adjusting time VGK has the best wingers in the league by a mile so he would be in a perfect spot. Also just personally I feel JM is a super star and is carrying Bill a bit offensively.
Its not like LV really needs much of anything atm other than ways to stay competitive under the cap and maybe a goalie and I think a basis of 16 and Jost can accomplish both of those things.

Jost would be an RFA so its not like he wouldn't sign.

VGK has a lot of options which is what makes them so much fun. I personally think they are the best team in the west by a good deal.
But Tuch is too big an ask on top of the other two guys.

And we'll see with Glass. Maybe a summer of conditioning and development will help but I would like to see a guy dominate in the AHL better before he jumps right into the top 6. Either way if Vegas isn't as convinced as you, it makes the situation with Karlsson more complicated. We trade Wild Bill and Stastny necessarily becomes the top line center.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
But Tuch is too big an ask on top of the other two guys.

And we'll see with Glass. Maybe a summer of conditioning and development will help but I would like to see a guy dominate in the AHL better before he jumps right into the top 6. Either way if Vegas isn't as convinced as you, it makes the situation with Karlsson more complicated. We trade Wild Bill and Stastny necessarily becomes the top line center.

I view Miller as a cap dump at this current time, so it'd be easier to take him out. Barrie is more valuable than WK and then the Avs add on the 16th haha. So don't get me wrong I very very much know how good Tuch is but thats just how stacked VGK are, its not like you could ask for JM or Stone and Patches and Smith make no sense for the Avs so there it is. Like I totally get basing a deal around either 16 or Barrie (although he makes less sense) but to ask for both then you gotta ante up big time. I totally feel that Tuch is worth a lot but my only point was the the OP trade was trash and when you start from trash it doesn't get better.

So silly trade aside, I think our difference of opinion is that I think Glass is ready now and you feel like he needs more time. Which I think is fair either way but WKs extension needs to happen now, so what does VGK do with that? Who stays and who goes because something will need to change.

I think evaluating the Avs is super simple, but VGK is more about reading the tea leaves.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
You might want to check out Brock Nelson's deal. Zero chance Wild Bill signs for that little.
Ye, people need to understand that 6m in the NHL in 2019 isnt the same as 6 million 4 years ago. 4 years ago Derek Stepan got 6,5 million as a low end twoway #1C scoring at a 60 point pace per 82 games. Hayes, Nelson, William Karlsson etc isnt that far behind that and the cap has gone up a good amount since then.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
After trading Suzuki for Patches it would be weird for Vegas to not keep Karlsson. Statsny is up there in age and Glass is the only notable center they have coming up soon.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I view Miller as a cap dump at this current time, so it'd be easier to take him out. Barrie is more valuable than WK and then the Avs add on the 16th haha. So don't get me wrong I very very much know how good Tuch is but thats just how stacked VGK are, its not like you could ask for JM or Stone and Patches and Smith make no sense for the Avs so there it is. Like I totally get basing a deal around either 16 or Barrie (although he makes less sense) but to ask for both then you gotta ante up big time. I totally feel that Tuch is worth a lot but my only point was the the OP trade was trash and when you start from trash it doesn't get better.

So silly trade aside, I think our difference of opinion is that I think Glass is ready now and you feel like he needs more time. Which I think is fair either way but WKs extension needs to happen now, so what does VGK do with that? Who stays and who goes because something will need to change.

I think evaluating the Avs is super simple, but VGK is more about reading the tea leaves.
But Miller isn't a bad cap dump. Sure I criticize him plenty but he's more than serviceable as a number 4 two way defender. He's not perfect but he's not a pure cap dump. He's not going to be a bench rider. Regardless of where he goes. You add Tuch to Miller and you're getting a top 6 winger with high upside and a very usable if flawed second pair defenseman who does well as a second PP unit QB. That's a lot. I know Barrie isn't chump change himself but what Vegas is looking at is a guy who is basically Miller that's better where Miller is weak. It's a good upgrade but they also have Shea Theodore, Nate Schmidt, and Nic Hague so players of Barrie's type aren't a huge need. Then we get another draft pick which is good. But the total package Vegas is getting makes them immediately worse. With no definite prospect of pick 16 making them any better or evening out. I'm not saying the original proposal was fair, but adding Tuch to it with nothing else back from Colorado is overkill.

As for Glass, don't get me wrong. I think he could play in the NHL today. I just don't think he should just yet. He's had his stint slamming the WHL with his talent but he's on more even footing in the AHL right now. I'd rather he take the time to refine his talents and adapt to the size and speed of that league before jumping into the NHL. The kid is a fantastic passing talent and has as high a hockey IQ as any prospect I've seen. He just hasn't translated those talents into something I'd consider truly poised for NHL stardom just yet. Plus even though he's added a little size to his frame he's still pretty lanky and I'd like him to build up some more too. He's a guy that will go into dirty areas to forecheck and work behind the net and along the boards but he needs more size if he's gonna do it properly in the NHL. Of course that's all just my opinion. We'll see what Gallant thinks this September.

Reactions: Seven0two

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
A couple questions: how reliable is this guy, and what does he mean by 'not a great situation'?

Him and Vegas agreed on a one year deal in order for him to prove himself, instead they spent all the money on UFA's. They have almost zero cap space, it is a business and all but still a crappy way to deal with an employee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad