Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Flyers |Losin' for Leon!!!!!!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Seriously how much longer do we have to endure Holden, Bordacrap and Guenin? That second goal the eventual game winner. Serious Holden? Serious? We all a sudden cant score goals too which sucks. Happy Mack is still scoring and putting up numbas.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
How people react to losses sometimes is just hilarious.

reading this place feels like we're going tank mode all over again.

Duchene personally was actually one of our best forwards today. I dont know why people are complaining about him so much, he by far had the most scoring chances, and is just snake bitten. Im sure the goals will come soon. Barrie I felt was pretty good as well, I just think we ran into a hot goalie.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
How people react to losses sometimes is just hilarious.

reading this place feels like we're going tank mode all over again.

Duchene personally was actually one of our best forwards today. I dont know why people are complaining about him so much, he by far had the most scoring chances, and is just snake bitten. Im sure the goals will come soon. Barrie I felt was pretty good as well, I just think we ran into a hot goalie.

We been saying this 20 games now :laugh: im beginning to think he doesnt score again for the rest of his career.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Some of my concern with duchy is his d, really poor. I was happy to see Madmac with Staz tonight but only saw bits and pieces of the game... Glad we scored. These last two should serve as a reality check that we still have some growing pains and pieces of the puzzle to find....
Please get rid of bords and find some d help. Varly looked stellar else it would have been much much worse.... IMO both goalies looked good tonight.
I want us to get our offense going, hope we an nail it sat in LI...
Go Avs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Mason looks stellar all night and then the one goal he DOES give up is a bad-angled shot from MacKinnon.

The sudden lack of offense is a bit concerning. Hopefully Duchene comes back and the goals start happening. Certainly wasn't for lack of effort tonight, he was making some amazing moves out there and coming o-so close.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This has been happening all season, the offense dies for a few games in a row. And again, I'm going to keep beating the drum of getting down 2 is a death knell for this team, though it was nice to see 39 shots when it happened this time at least. After scoring 5 in several games and then 7 against Buffalo it was bound to happen but after 3 straight 1 goal games (yeah I know plus OT in NJ) hopefully the offense is due for a few breaks.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I didn't think Duchene and O'Reilly played well tonight but Duchene just can't buy a goal right now. Everything is going in for MacKinnon and it's the complete opposite for Duchene. Just look at MacKinnon's goal tonight, he just threw it at the net and it somehow got by Mason. Duchene has been hitting posts, getting stopped on breakaways, missing on some great scoring opportunities around the net, etc.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Let's be real here. This team would be so much better if Holden, Guenin, and Benoit were not patrolling our blue line. Imagine, if you will, a world where Duchene, MacK, Staz, Landy, ect. were able to get a clean outlet pass that would prevent them from being hemmed in the zone almost all shift. Imagine Varly not having to make a critical save in the third period from a pass behind the net because one of those guys easily coughing up the puck. Imagine having some control and possibly a point shot on the powerplay. We are a good team that has surprised the whole league with our record, but we could be sooooo much better with those changes. I really hope we get some dealing soon because I want to see what they could do if they were rock solid on the blueline.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
2wh47k5.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We just need to refresh over the olympic break and hope that dutchy's goalscoring drought has had to do with his anxiety over the olympics. He's creating tons of chances, thus the continued point production, he's just insanely snakebitten. Landy is still to turn it up and initiate full viking mode. MacK seems to be improving with each game. Tangs should be back and healthy after the break. Most importantly Hejda and EJ will get a break to recharge their batteries.

The D is an issue and I really hope we move on a vet top 4 lefty, but I won't freak out if don't.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
That was an awesome shift by Bordy. Whiffed on a late hit in the offensive zone, almost falls down right after as he's trying to skate back, then takes a 5 minute major penalty.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Let's be real here. This team would be so much better if Holden, Guenin, and Benoit were not patrolling our blue line. Imagine, if you will, a world where Duchene, MacK, Staz, Landy, ect. were able to get a clean outlet pass that would prevent them from being hemmed in the zone almost all shift. Imagine Varly not having to make a critical save in the third period from a pass behind the net because one of those guys easily coughing up the puck. Imagine having some control and possibly a point shot on the powerplay. We are a good team that has surprised the whole league with our record, but we could be sooooo much better with those changes. I really hope we get some dealing soon because I want to see what they could do if they were rock solid on the blueline.

This is exactly right. That #3-#4 guy that would fit besides Barrie is a huge gaping hole right now. If he was anywhere half way decent, you could stand to give your top-4 guys more minutes and then a Benoit-Guenin/Sarich bottom pairing playing less minutes would be 'ok'.

Speaking of Benoit, I'm really happy we only gave him a 1 year deal. He started off pretty good but has gotten progressively worse as the year has gone on. He's been ok on offense and decent to mediocre on defense, I don't think the Avs will bring him back.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Roy has never had Benoit as a healthy scratch though? At least I think not. That should tells us he likes him.

I'm honestly quite fine with Holden, as long as he is on the third pairing.

XXX - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Guenin

We just need that stud next to EJ which we can't get. It's rough. And Hejda is bound to start regressing soon too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Roy has never had Benoit as a healthy scratch though? At least I think not. That should tells us he likes him.

I'm honestly quite fine with Holden, as long as he is on the third pairing.

XXX - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Guenin

We just need that stud next to EJ which we can't get. It's rough. And Hejda is bound to start regressing soon too.

The way Holden played that puck on the 2nd goal against was like the way Elliott played the puck a couple years ago in the game that eliminated the Avs from the playoffs. He's just too big a liability defensively IMO.

I don't even feel comfortable with him on the 3rd pairing. A soon to be 27 year old defenseman should not be playing the puck that way, and getting knocked off it behind the net so easily.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The way Holden played that puck on the 2nd goal against was like the way Elliott played the puck a couple years ago in the game that eliminated the Avs from the playoffs. He's just too big a liability defensively IMO.

I don't even feel comfortable with him on the 3rd pairing. A soon to be 27 year old defenseman should not be playing the puck that way, and getting knocked off it behind the net so easily.

That's why he is a third pairing guy. They will make mistakes. Otherwise they would be paid like top pairing guys.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
That's why he is a third pairing guy. They will make mistakes. Otherwise they would be paid like top pairing guys.

Third pairing guys in the NHL don't make those kinds of mistakes. A good third pairing guy in the NHL is like Sarich. He doesn't make stupid gaffes like that on the boards but is severely limited in certain aspects of his game and has made adjustments to minimize the effect of those limitations. Basically he's beatable, but he won't beat himself.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Third pairing guys in the NHL don't make those kinds of mistakes. A good third pairing guy in the NHL is like Sarich. He doesn't make stupid gaffes like that on the boards but is severely limited in certain aspects of his game and has made adjustments to minimize the effect of those limitations. Basically he's beatable, but he won't beat himself.

Stuff like that is always gonna happen. We even saw SHEA WEBER doing the exact same thing in Pepsi Center last year.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2012020221-475-h

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How did Johnson look last night? I noticed he at 8 shots on net and a lot more ice than any other defencemen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The criticism of Holden is justified. That was a stupid way to play it, I don't care if Weber did the same thing or not. If Holden had quick enough skates, hands, or brains, he would've made a play or scooped the puck up and secured it from the oncoming forechecker in Couturier.

Holden is not NHL material, period. That said, again, the injuries in Lake Erie are taking a terrible toll. I guarantee you Talbot Siemens and maybe Elliott would've gotten a cup-of-coffee callup by now, and it's possible one of them would've stuck. It's also having a similar effect on the forwards.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The criticism of Holden is justified. That was a stupid way to play it, I don't care if Weber did the same thing or not. If Holden had quick enough skates, hands, or brains, he would've made a play or scooped the puck up and secured it from the oncoming forechecker in Couturier.

Holden is not NHL material, period. That said, again, the injuries in Lake Erie are taking a terrible toll. I guarantee you Talbot Siemens and maybe Elliott would've gotten a cup-of-coffee callup by now, and it's possible one of them would've stuck. It's also having a similar effect on the forwards.
I'm just saying that THAT single play isn't enough to prove that he isn't an NHL defenseman. Cause a lot better players do it too.

Anyway, I'm fine if he gets waived/traded whatever, but I'm also fine with him being our 6/7th d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad