Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Flyers |Losin' for Leon!!!!!!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is easy to see the team the Avalanche modeled their rebuild on. Be terrible and get a few top picks to comprise your core, make smart trades and use late drafting to fill in around them. They have done an excellent job at it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You're right the Avs need to get better in the development aspect, but a lot of our prospects are too young (the biggest outcome IMO) or have had injury problems to make a direct impact losing close to half a season in development.

- Sgarbossa (Isn't NHL ready, lost close to half a season of development)
- C. Smith (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Meurs (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Agozzino (Isn't NHL ready)
- Hishon (Isn't NHL ready, injury prone)
- Carey (Closest to NHL ready, coming back a 1-2 month injury)
- Elliott (I think he's gone at deadline)
- Malone (Specifically drafted for bottom line grinder role)
- Lauridsen (Isn't NHL ready)
- Heard (Too young, actually looking like a bad pick than development)
- Beaupre (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Cheek (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Siemens (Too young, isn't NHL ready and lost half a year with injury)
- Bourke (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Blandisi (Too young, isn't NHL ready...Looking like a solid pick, hasn't played the last two games due to probably an injury)
- Bigras (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Geertsen (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Young (Too young, isn't NHL ready...Looking like a solid pick)
- Butcher (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Storm (WAY TOO YOUNG, might not even have an NHL future)
- Condon (Too young, isn't NHL ready)
- Moffatt (Too young, isn't NHL ready)

All our goalers are too young and are not NHL ready, Aittokallio is the closest and still needs at least one to two more years of seasoning.

So Avs are in that point-of-time-wormhole where all our great prospects are contributing significantly in the NHL level while the others need years' of more seasoning before even getting a chance for a call up. Besides baseball, hockey is the next sport in terms of development time for players. The lack of picks have also hurt if you compare a team like Chicago who traded their first Cup winning team into only draft picks.

Agree with most here. My question is on Agozzino. He's played every game the last 2 seasons (so far) and has been the leading scorer in each. What does he have to do to be NHL ready, or at least have earned a look? Also, I don't think Carey was out that long but probably a moot point.

That wormhole has been exacerbated by the fact that after Stastny in 2005 we have zero current contributing draft picks until 2009. We can count EJ for 06 though depending how you look at it. But that's where the hole on this team is, specifically the defense. 2010 doesn't look good and nobody is fast tracked from 2011 (except for 92 obv) and 2012 though it's too early to write those drafts off.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005307.html

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Agree with most here. My question is on Agozzino. He's played every game the last 2 seasons (so far) and has been the leading scorer in each. What does he have to do to be NHL ready, or at least have earned a look? Also, I don't think Carey was out that long but probably a moot point.

That wormhole has been exacerbated by the fact that after Stastny in 2005 we have zero current contributing draft picks until 2009. We can count EJ for 06 though depending how you look at it. But that's where the hole on this team is, specifically the defense. 2010 doesn't look good and nobody is fast tracked from 2011 (except for 92 obv) and 2012 though it's too early to write those drafts off.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005307.html

I would say you either need to count the players we drafted that got us assets or the assets they brought us but not neither. So yeah count EJ or Stewart and Shattenkirk / Galiardi or McGinn, etc...

On the defense, I wonder how Jonas Holos would look on this team under a real coach? Couldn't possibly be worst than some of the guys we've got.

Huis Clos*

It is easy to see the team the Avalanche modeled their rebuild on. Be terrible and get a few top picks to comprise your core, make smart trades and use late drafting to fill in around them. They have done an excellent job at it.

It isn't the first time the franchise has done this.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=970&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

It actually looks like the Avs haven't done too badly at the draft. Yeah, that '08 draft was a stinker, but they more than made up for it in '09.

Fun fact I didn't know until now: Marc-Andre Cliche was taken in the same round as Paul Stastny.

And I don't know, do you count McGinn since Galiardi was part of the package that brought him and Sgarbossa?

I was under the impression the Avs were hurting their own draft options by being so "Euro-phobic" but I'm not sure that's the case. I still think they need more Euros though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad