Confirmed with Link: Avs extend Jared Bednar through 2026-27 season!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, it's uncommon across sports but I think there's a scenario where he gets another one in before the significant drop off in play, which will happen at some point. He has four years after this one so they could theoretically take care of him again half way through that term if they're still good.
Maybe... I clearly have a different view of the path the Avs will go over the next 4 years than most. IMO as we get to the Avs moving from top of the West to where they are fighting for 3rd central or wild card, there will be incentive to have a shake up to see if that changes fortunes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He was making 2-something IIRC. Nice raise.

edit: He is currently making 2.25M according to Dater

2JLi6Ri.png

Cap Friendly has him right in the middle of these two numbers at $4.75M.

If it was $5M, it would tie him with McLellan as the highest salary we know of. Not all are leaked publicly. $4.75M would be the second highest. More than Torts, DeBoer, and Maurice. I would imagine Cooper and Sullivan are probably the highest paid though.

Very well deserved Bedsy.

Also I think the timing of this puts to rest any ideas they weren't aggressive at the deadline because they knew Landy wasn't coming back, or that they didn't think they could repeat, like I've seen mentioned recently. Clearly they signed him now, because they thought he'd be more expensive if they repeat or win the West after all the injuries this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, it's uncommon across sports but I think there's a scenario where he gets another one in before the significant drop off in play, which will happen at some point. He has four years after this one so they could theoretically take care of him again half way through that term if they're still good.

The Avs are in a very similar position with Bednar as the Bolts are with Cooper. Very similar style coaches, on teams with long windows of contention, with GM's that don't make panic moves, and respect their coach a lot.

Cooper had 9 seasons with Tampa and got a 3 year extension. Not sure when his previous deal expired.

Bedsy has 7 season with one remaining and got a similar 3 year extension.

I can definitely see him being re-signed unless the Avs unexpectedly miss the playoffs and have a bottom dweller year at some point. Even still I bet Joe and CMac give him another year to see if he rebounds. If they didn't fire him as a rookie after a 48 point season, they're not gonna fire him after one down year with one or more Cups and President's trophies under his belt.

I actually wouldn't be that surprised if Bednar and Cooper end up getting let go in the same year eventually and swap teams. They'd fit in seamlessly on each other's teams with their GM's philosophies and team makeup.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Seeing the Avs give out big money on an extension for a coach shows the health of the financial standing of the organization.

Definitely good to see. They’ve been among the highest attended teams in the league for a while now and should have a good amount of coin saved up for when the lean years eventually hit again.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Don't know if it was ever mentioned but a guy called in to Under Review on NHL Network Radio today and said he had insider information that as soon as Patrick Roy resigned, Bob Hartley called up Joe Sakic and offered his services, and according to this guy, Joe's reply was basically "I want to move forward, not backward." Interesting if there's any truth to that whatsoever.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think there is a legitimate discussion to be had that Bednar simply doesn't understand how to beat defensive teams. We were fortunate last year when we didn't face a true defensive team, but it seems every single team that has beaten us in the postseason have all been defensive teams with a ton of low-talent but grinding forwards.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I think there is a legitimate discussion to be had that Bednar simply doesn't understand how to beat defensive teams. We were fortunate last year when we didn't face a true defensive team, but it seems every single team that has beaten us in the postseason have all been defensive teams with a ton of low-talent but grinding forwards.

This isn't on Bednar.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Sorry, but this is BS. You can blame the FO for the lackluster off-season and the even worse trade deadline all you want, but not the coaching stuff. No coach in the world could do dog shit with THAT forward group.

Will a FULL and HEALTHY roster you might have a point, but not with a group that is missing 4!!! Top 6 guys from last years playoff roster. The Avs are simply not good enough up front. Sad but true.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
No. Stop this discussion right from the get go.

Look at our line-up tonight. Not even Harry Houdini could have saved us.

The presser from Bednar was the first time he really looked pissed.
You can question some of his decisions in the first 2 games, ok. But he is not responsible when one of your top players just leaves the team before game 3 and your team basically having 2 players up front scoring because the rest of this team sucks major.

Too bad the Eagles made it to Round 2 (congrats, at least something to be proud of these days). Otherwise i would say call up half of the Eagles and play it out. It can´t get any worse.

This fiasco of a season is mainly on our management. Period. But we will talk about that pretty soon.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
This. The top pairing hasn't been good this year, poor depth, poor special teams, Nuke hasn't been the same this year and the guys that were supposed to elevate their games (looking at you Compher and Newhook) haven't done so.
In fairness it seems a lot of players regress under Bednar and Pratt

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m sorry but what is he supposed to do when he has to play Nieto, Erod and Compher in the top 6. Eller, Cogliano and Malgin in the top 9. This roster just sucks ass outside of Mack and Mikko.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Counting on Landeskog was the fatal mistake imo

Nonetheless Bednar’s gotta squeak out some wins……..If the roster is the problem and he can’t will the team to a few victories then Bednar’s just an average Joe coach. There’s plenty of dudes out there that can play .500 with an ok roster. He’s got arguably a top 3 player in the league and a #1 defenseman.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
No. Stop this discussion right from the get go.

Look at our line-up tonight. Not even Harry Houdini could have saved us.

The presser from Bednar was the first time he really looked pissed.
You can question some of his decisions in the first 2 games, ok. But he is not responsible when one of your top players just leaves the team before game 3 and your team basically having 2 players up front scoring because the rest of this team sucks major.

Too bad the Eagles made it to Round 2 (congrats, at least something to be proud of these days). Otherwise i would say call up half of the Eagles and play it out. It can´t get any worse.

This fiasco of a season is mainly on our management. Period. But we will talk about that pretty soon.
He was asked specifically about the number of minutes Mack and Mikko played and fully admitted it was due to lack of depth, and he's said in the past that this team isn't as deep and needs more from their stars.

Like you said, last night was the first time he genuinely looked angry about it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This can be easily disproven. This very season, not long before the playoffs, the Avs beat the Kings when both teams still had something to play for and the Kings were playing a stifling defensive system.

I won’t completely absolve him here, the power play is clearly not working and he and Bennett need to make adjustments (like taking Compher off of it) but I just don’t think this team in its present state could much of anyone. Too many key players out, and the ones who are in are banged up.

Reactions: McMetal

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
He was asked specifically about the number of minutes Mack and Mikko played and fully admitted it was due to lack of depth, and he's said in the past that this team isn't as deep and needs more from their stars.

Like you said, last night was the first time he genuinely looked angry about it.

Then i really hope he want straight up MacFarlands office and told him that right to the face. :hit:

Not a f***ing single coach out there, not even a legend, can do wonders with this quality outside your first line.

As is mentioned yesterday: There comes a time when you have to accept it´s not enough and you just reached your limit. Bednar seems to realize this. It´s ok for me.

Not a good outlook for game 6, but here we are.

btw, blaming Mac and Mikko is the next step of craziness. They both draged this team across the line, had both career-seasons with over 100 points, helped this team win the division. They are the last on to blame this year. They did their job. It´s not their fault someone else didn´t do his when the time had come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad