Confirmed with Link: Avs extend Jared Bednar through 2026-27 season!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That correlation/causation thing is an extremely subjective take. Anyone could put any example of success or failure in either bucket at will.

I'd rather put them all in the same bucket, and apply it to the coach who was coaching at the time.

I'll leave it there. I think the Avs have a good coach, albeit not a perfect one.
Personally speaking, getting beat by defensive teams can be a correlation with other events being presented as possible reasons, but the more we get beat by these sorts of teams, the more it will turn into a causation.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I won't argue much here, because all are entitled to their own opinion. That said, your counterpoints all fall into the correlation vs. causation differentiation. The early scores and the 3 v 3 are a) largely due to superhuman players named Makar and Mackinnon and b) lacking context. A good chunk of both of those were against teams which did not make the playoffs. So did Bednar CAUSE those statistics? Or did he happen to be around? Similarly, giving Bednar credit for 'developing' Makar is a stretch, and Mikko and Byram are close to that level ( and Mikko was developed in a Loveland year not Bednar.) Sure, the Avs are back up to top-10 in PP goals, but the Oilers are 1st and the difference between the two is clear as day ( and it is not personnel. The Oilers constantly move bodies on the PP, not just the puck. That is a coaching issue.)

My point, in general, is that the Avs have a handful of all-world players who cause both their success and most of the metrics you mention. Bednar is along for the ride.

He's not a terrible coach and by all accounts, a really good guy. But we gets waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more credit in here than he deserves.
The good results 3 vs 3 this season is not only due to superhuman players like Makar and Mack. If anything the bad record for the seasons prior to this year was mostly due to those superhuman players. They couldn't help themselves taking chances, making dangerous plays and taking low probability shots on net. This season they finally smarten up and bought in on the proper way to play 3 vs 3 which is puck possession and waiting for great opportunity. They are still sometimes their own worst enemy 3 vs 3 but it is night and day with the previous years.

As for Bednar I would argue that with any other coach, except maybe 2 or 3 others, the Avs would have missed the playoffs. He is not perfect...nobody is...but he is IMO the best coach the Avs has had so far.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think there is a legitimate discussion to be had that Bednar simply doesn't understand how to beat defensive teams. We were fortunate last year when we didn't face a true defensive team, but it seems every single team that has beaten us in the postseason have all been defensive teams with a ton of low-talent but grinding forwards.

You mean like Arizona or St Louis? Even Tampa is a really good defensive team.

This team is missing all their big horses up front. Landy, Nuke, and Helm are gone, Lehky's shot looks pretty compromised by his broken finger, and Cogs and Eller just rearranged their shoulders.

Those are significant losses against a defensive team that you need to score greasy goals against. Those are the guys that would normally be scoring them.

Plus Manson had to jump straight into the playoffs on a bum ankle and they didn't have Cale for Game 5 with the suspension.

The struggles right now aren't a coaching or system issue. It's a personnel issue.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You mean like Arizona or St Louis? Even Tampa is a really good defensive team.

This team is missing all their big horses up front. Landy, Nuke, and Helm are gone, Lehky's shot looks pretty compromised by his broken finger, and Cogs and Eller just rearranged their shoulders.

Those are significant losses against a defensive team that you need to score greasy goals against. Those are the guys that would normally be scoring them.

Plus Manson had to jump straight into the playoffs on a bum ankle and they didn't have Cale for Game 5 with the suspension.

The struggles right now aren't a coaching or system issue. It's a personnel issue.
He didn’t have to. And he clearly shouldn’t have. The dudes been an active detriment to the team and is clearly nowhere near healthy enough to play hockey.

Reactions: McMetal

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
A little birdie told me Jovial Jared is on a Hockey Canada shortlist for coaching the next best-on-best team.

Don’t think it would be for another couple of years, but cool hearing he’s getting that type of recognition. He’s come a long way.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A little birdie told me Jovial Jared is on a Hockey Canada shortlist for coaching the next best-on-best team.

Don’t think it would be for another couple of years, but cool hearing he’s getting that type of recognition. He’s come a long way.

If only they'd stop giving the Olympics to crazy unstable whack job countries now.

Where is the next one at?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If Bedsy adds an Olympic Gold Medal to his championships in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL, he should be put in that GOAT tier of coaches. That would be unbelievably impressive.

Would be interesting to see if he implemented his usual system though. It's not a system that you pick up quickly. Needs lots and lots of drilling and usually half a season or more to really get comfortable with it.

Also don't really like the idea of coaching good two way habits into our competitors. They'll likely leave the tourney much better players, the same way Bedsy turned our players into much better hockey players. But I suppose that's selfish.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Bedsy adds an Olympic Gold Medal to his championships in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL, he should be put in that GOAT tier of coaches. That would be unbelievably impressive.

Would be interesting to see if he implemented his usual system though. It's not a system that you pick up quickly. Needs lots and lots of drilling and usually half a season or more to really get comfortable with it.

Also don't really like the idea of coaching good two way habits into our competitors. They'll likely leave the tourney much better players, the same way Bedsy turned our players into much better hockey players. But I suppose that's selfish.

A team Canada that actually was good on both sides of the puck would be quite the change lol.

But with Crosby as your 3C and the right wingers it might be possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad