Confirmed with Link: Avs claim Nicolas Aube-Kubel off Waivers

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Joe waking up today:
upload_2022-1-11_6-56-27.gif

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Been really happy with NAK so far. He's effectively made Jost/Compher expendable, which should help with the cap if the Avs decide to make a move at forward. I'd personally love to see Compher gone at the TDL. Frees up $3.5m next year too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We didn't draft a single one of our bottom 6ers that are actually good:

- Nuke
- LOC
- NAK

Newhook might be an exception but it's not clear if he'll be a third liner during his career, or he's just playing there as a rookie.

Either way I think your point stands. The Avs are terrible at identifying NHL role players in the draft. It's high skill or bust.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Newhook might be an exception but it's not clear if he'll be a third liner during his career, or he's just playing there as a rookie.

Either way I think your point stands. The Avs are terrible at identifying NHL role players in the draft. It's high skill or bust.
I sure hope Newhook is a top 6er

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They didn't draft LOC but they did sign him as an undrafted UFA out of College. I would give the scouts credit for that one.*

*In before the nepotism nonsense

Who knows if he ends up following the same path but I think the Avs have hopes of Callahn Burke following a similar path that LOC went as well. Similar production in college and carryover to the Eagles but obviously striking paydirt twice is unlikely.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's not really clear to me whether he'll be a top 6er or a bottom sixer in the NHL. He could end up being similar to what Kerfoot was with the Avs as a middle six C/W tweener.
The good thing is even if Newhook tops out as a 3C, he looks like a way better fit in the bottom 6 then Kerfoot is. Regardless a 2/3C is a good result at 16OA.

Reactions: jabubenice

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The good thing is even if Newhook tops out as a 3C, he looks like a way better fit in the bottom 6 then Kerfoot is. Regardless a 2/3C is a good result at 16OA.

I think he's a little more multi dimensional than Kerfoot was and he's grittier with his willingness to go to the hard areas around the net. So I like that as well in a bottom sixer. Though Kerf was relatively productive as a 19 goal 40+ point kind of guy.

Also after checking his stats, it's weird to me that Kerfoot has been with the Leafs longer now than he was with the Avs. I guess the last few hockey years have been a bit of a blur with covid, but it felt to me like he was with the Avs longer than two years for some reason.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

Feels weird saying this, but Kerfoot has been really good with the leafs this year. He was one of their better players during their flameout against the Habs (almost PPG). And for this year, I think I’d take him over Newhook.

upload_2022-1-13_18-56-0.png

I was..surprised to say the least.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think he's a little more multi dimensional than Kerfoot was and he's grittier with his willingness to go to the hard areas around the net. So I like that as well in a bottom sixer. Though Kerf was relatively productive as a 19 goal 40+ point kind of guy.

Also after checking his stats, it's weird to me that Kerfoot has been with the Leafs longer now than he was with the Avs. I guess the last few hockey years have been a bit of a blur with covid, but it felt to me like he was with the Avs longer than two years for some reason.
That's why I think Newy is a better bottom 6 type guy. Kerfy is real productive and solid defensively, but I think I'd like my guy to be a bit more of a hound on the forecheck which Newhook has been decent about.

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Feels weird saying this, but Kerfoot has been really good with the leafs this year. He was one of their better players during their flameout against the Habs (almost PPG). And for this year, I think I’d take him over Newhook.

View attachment 498316

I was..surprised to say the least.
He's been good this year for sure. He's just not what I want in my bottom 6 ideally.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
He's gotten himself acclimated to the Avs and I will gladly eat crow on this guy. He's not playing nearly as stupid as he did while in Philadelphia. He's scoring at J.T. Compher's usual pace while playing with much more physicality and tenacity than JTC ever does.

He was never that stupid in Philly. We just have a great combination of stupid media/coaching/management that freaked out because he took penalties at a slightly high rate while being their most effective forechecker in the bottom 6.

They told him to play hard and with some edge and to be relentless on the puck and then were shocked when that led to penalties.

The Flyers are a dumpster fire, I am glad (and unsurprised) he is finding success after leaving this hell hole.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
In 26 games with the Avs so far he has 6 goals and 13 points which translates to 19 goals and 41 points over 82 games.

Don't know if he can keep that pace but that's pretty damn good 3rd line winger numbers.
If NAK and LOC keep their respective scoring paces up I wonder if that will finally prompt Sakic to move Compher. He'll have been passed by yet another much cheaper RW in the depth chart.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
If NAK and LOC keep their respective scoring paces up I wonder if that will finally prompt Sakic to move Compher. He'll have been passed by yet another much cheaper RW in the depth chart.

who’s going to trade for Compher, or Jost for that matter?

If you can’t score points in this team, you’re probably not going to score points on a non-playoff team.

Reactions: Asinine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad