GDT: Avs @ Caps | November 21, 2015 | 5 PM MT | Thanks a Lot Roy, You Ruined It

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
At this point...I'd like to see Roy put lines together and leave them alone for awhile. One issue I do notice is Roy tends to panic and start changing his lines way too often so it can be tough to gain chemistry. Personally id like to see Rantanen brought back up to begin getting used to the nhl as soon as Street is healthy enough to send down.

Grigorenko-Mackinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Rantanen
McLeod-Comeau-Iginla
Martinsen-Wagner-Skille

3rd line isn't great but comeau and Iggy can take face offs pretty well

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
At this point...I'd like to see Roy put lines together and leave them alone for awhile. One issue I do notice is Roy tends to panic and start changing his lines way too often so it can be tough to gain chemistry. Personally id like to see Rantanen brought back up to begin getting used to the nhl as soon as Street is healthy enough to send down.

Grigorenko-Mackinnon-Duchene
Landeskog-Soderberg-Rantanen
McLeod-Comeau-Iginla
Martinsen-Wagner-Skille

3rd line isn't great but comeau and Iggy can take face offs pretty well

The third gets much better if you go with something like ;

Comeau - Mitchell - Iginla ; though. Assuming Mitchell comes back soon.

I think I'd prefer either Greg at center or Duchene though. I think Soderberg is a 2nd line player as a winger, and a third line guy as a center on this team. I like the creativity I've seen from him with skill guys, but I don't believe hes better long term than Duchene or Greg at controlling the ice the way those guys can.

They also need more freedom with the puck than he does IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The coach isn't the problem. This team isn't going to win any games with Andreas Martinsen as a 2nd line left winger, or with Cody McLeod as a 3rd line left winger, or with Jarome Iginla as a top-6 forward, or with a 4th line that's AHL caliber at the moment, or with defensemen like Holden, Redmond, Gormley, Stuart, and Guenin on the ice so little because they all aren't good that it forces EJ/Beauchemin to play well past what they should be playing.

This team has a nice core, yes. MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog as three core forwards are nice and Grigorenko if he continues to progress this season may eventually join that group. But we're still short 8 forwards. Carl Soderberg is a nice player provided he has the right linemates and is in the right role. Right now, neither can be said for him. Blake Comeau, I think we're all realizing, sucks, and was a mistake to sign. Alex Tanguay is at the end of his career, as is Jarome Iginla. Cody McLeod is a 4th line player, Jack Skille is a 4th line player, John Mitchell is a 4th line centre who can sub onto the 3rd line for extended periods if injuries occur. Dennis Everberg and Andreas Martinsen are AHL players. Chris Wagner is an AHL player.

The team just isn't good enough, plain and simple. People can look at Mike Babcock and say "Well what about the Leafs?!?!" did you ever stop to think and realize that James Reimer has been the best goalie in the league for arguably the last 3-4 weeks? Did you see how much the Leafs sucked to start the season? Babcock is a good coach, yes, and you can see his system taking place in Toronto but let's not act like he'd be a saviour to this team. It'd be the same problem, maybe we'd squeak out 1-2 more wins with him here as a coach but the roster just isn't good enough.

It's going to take more time. Rantanen, Zadorov, Bigras, Bleackley, Meloche, our 2016 1st, they're all on the way. But they aren't going to be here anytime soon nor will they make an immediate impact.

It sucks losing, I hate it. But it's not going to stop this season because our roster isn't good
I HIGHLY disagree with your assessment on Comeau. We all saw what Comeau was capable of in preseason, I think he's still able to produce much more. Maybe he has an undisclosed injury which is nagging him, but he's able to play with? Has he been underwhelming so far? Yes, but he has not even been close to a mistake signing. He was average to the start of the year, played fantastic at the first three games of the road trip, but has sucked since the last two. Though everyone in reality has besides Duchene and to a degree Johnson. Definitely a hyperbole.

This is just not a good team. Pure and simple. Too many players, particularly defenseman that are bad hockey players, too many depth guys not pulling their weight, and stars not meeting expectations either. Plus the goaltending has let them down.

Just a recipe for being last in the league. Has absolutely 0 to do with "systems", though that doesn't stop people from bringing it up.

Holden and Barrie were just absolutely brutal tonight. Absolutely atrocious. This team will never get anywhere when both of them are on the PK and on the ice all night. It's just asking for trouble.

They have two good defenseman on this team and they both play together. Barrie is good offensively but that's it. Lose ROR, and have the goaltending let you down, and there's just no way this team can cover the holes and compete with this defense. They just can't do it. They'll just give up goals and get behind in games far too often.

And they have got to stop reversing the play, and trying these cute little passes at their own blueline. JUST GO FORWARD YOU IDIOTS! From Nate to Barrie to Landy to Holden to Iggy, they just keep shooting themselves in the foot. Teams probably can't wait to play this team after watching tape of all the bad plays they make with the puck.

At least there was some comic relief in this one. Haynes in the 3rd period saying the Avs PK looked really good tonight, and McNab saying Holden was playing great for them. I'm now convinced those two aren't shills for the Kroenke's, they're just dumb.

No one is saying the players don't own a share of the blame for how the team is performing. They clearly do.

But you have just decided coaching isn't a problem and it's on the players.

Each to their own, I guess. Most Avs fans and almost everyone else in the hockey world disagrees.

The interview with Caps assistant coach told us all we need to know. They know Avs want to create on the rush and if they stop that they're good. Now look at the team Avs have. Who can create off the rush? MacKinnon, Duchene, Barrie and possibly Landeskog/EJ. Why the hell would a team like this try to score off the rush? As for Caps plan to create offense. We already know this because every team does it against Avs. Get the puck deep. The defensive coverage is so chaotic it's Washington Generals.

I agree that players should do more, but where is the accountability. Iginla, Tanguay and Comeau have floated a lot this season. Not a second of ice time taken away. McLeod, Comeau, Tanguay and Landeskog has taken lots of stupid or bad penalties between them. Not a second of ice time taken away. Coach and players as partners seems like a ****ing stupid idea to me. The coach shouldn't be your friend. He's your boss.
The problem I have with posters here is that its "too easy" to blame Roy in certain times. Now I am not trying to defend him because he definitely holds part of the blame, looks like a rookie coach at time, especially against Toronto (simply outclassed by Babcock). And sometimes the breakout system looks like its clowns at a carnival. But I have a hard time blaming him for yesterday. How is it Roy's fault that Barrie and Holden got constantly walked last night? Is he supposed to bench two defenders, both who have played reasonable well in the prior games? Is he suppose to bench Grigorenko for letting Ovechkin walk straight in for his goal? I agree there should be accountability, but it just boggles my mind how a team with Iginla and Beauchemin leadership has zero affects on the overall team. Its either this team has to learn the hard way through mistakes or both players are overrated in the lockerroom. There is something going on with the whole team and Roy definitely is not majority at fault here. That is why I wouldn't be surprised if Sakic does trade a core piece, so far it hasn't worked. And I do hope that Iginla decides to waive his NTC this summer.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I HIGHLY disagree with your assessment on Comeau. We all saw what Comeau was capable of in preseason, I think he's still able to produce much more. Maybe he has an undisclosed injury which is nagging him, but he's able to play with? Has he been underwhelming so far? Yes, but he has not even been close to a mistake signing. He was average to the start of the year, played fantastic at the first three games of the road trip, but has sucked since the last two. Though everyone in reality has besides Duchene and to a degree Johnson. Definitely a hyperbole.

I've never been a fan of Comeau so my view on him was already skewed prior to him signing here, but I just don't think he's very good. Sure he looked good in preseason, it's easy for him to look good in preseason as an NHL vet when on the nights he plays he's likely one of the better players on the ice.

Where is the Blake Comeau we saw in the 1st game of the season vs Minnesota? I could care less if he never scores another goal while contracted by the Avs, if he played with that kind of energy on a nightly basis I'd be fine with him in a bottom-6 role. But he doesn't. He's so lackadaisical out there, he's not nearly the hound on the forecheck that some people claimed he'd be, and he's useless when forced into a top-6 role (Not his fault we have to put him there at this time). He's been very underwhelming

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I've never been a fan of Comeau so my view on him was already skewed prior to him signing here, but I just don't think he's very good. Sure he looked good in preseason, it's easy for him to look good in preseason as an NHL vet when on the nights he plays he's likely one of the better players on the ice.

Where is the Blake Comeau we saw in the 1st game of the season vs Minnesota? I could care less if he never scores another goal while contracted by the Avs, if he played with that kind of energy on a nightly basis I'd be fine with him in a bottom-6 role. But he doesn't. He's so lackadaisical out there, he's not nearly the hound on the forecheck that some people claimed he'd be, and he's useless when forced into a top-6 role (Not his fault we have to put him there at this time). He's been very underwhelming

He is a high maintenance player. Army needs to spend more time in his ear. He certainly needs to be benched a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad