Post-Game Talk: Avs at Yotes l 4-0 L l "Avs Y U No Win With All The Patience?"

IceyDice

Sep 16, 2012
I don't know, for some reason I feel like Sacco will be given one last chance and start next season. However, after we go 1-7-2 he will be promptly fired.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Did I seriously read that Varlamov can't be blamed or held accountable once again for any of the goals? Unbelievable the free pass he's getting. The D suck, but so has he. On the road, he is barely an AHL goaltender at this point. His mentality has been completely shot to hell with the performances in front of him. He needs this season to end and to regroup.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Did I seriously read that Varlamov can't be blamed or held accountable once again for any of the goals? Unbelievable the free pass he's getting. The D suck, but so has he. On the road, he is barely an AHL goaltender at this point. His mentality has been completely shot to hell with the performances in front of him. He needs this season to end and to regroup.

That 3rd goal was terrible for sure.

It looks like his mind is not in the game sometimes, but since we gave up two high draft picks for him, no one will say he is throwing games away.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eh, he certainly isn't playing particularly well and he's been responsible for some goals to, but I wouldn't judge him for it too harshly or have it wipe away the fact that he was having a very strong season before fighting the tanking powers of Sacco, O'Byrne, Zanon and HunnyBunny wore him and Duchene out. He was phenomenal for Russia, he was great in the KHL, he started the season possessed, but eventually he fell in line with sacco's plan and started tanking to.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Eh, he certainly isn't playing particularly well and he's been responsible for some goals to, but I wouldn't judge him for it too harshly or have it wipe away the fact that he was having a very strong season before fighting the tanking powers of Sacco, O'Byrne, Zanon and HunnyBunny wore him and Duchene out. He was phenomenal for Russia, he was great in the KHL, he started the season possessed, but eventually he fell in line with sacco's plan and started tanking to.

Not saying you are wrong, but it is a good exemple of how the double standard works around here. Take Varlamov's struggles and compare it to Anderson's and how people reacted here and is night and day.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

He has not been the problem. The fifty shots he faces within five feet have. He has to go from right to left way too often.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Its hard to judge any of the players' capabilities right now given the collective lack of talent due to injury/season-wide ineffectiveness (Jones, Hejduk) and extremely low confidence level. They seem shell shocked every time their opponent scores the 1st goal and then it just spirals from there.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well glad I went to the braves game instead. Is Sacco aware that no matter how much we suck, we can't do any better than the first overall pick?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I dont understand it neither. Yes we all can agree our D sucks but so has Semyon and especially on the road. Goals 1 and 3 last night were ALL on him. Yes Hunwick couldnt clear the puck 3 times but no damn way should you be letting goals in while the opposing player is shooting from behind the goal line. No excuse for that. Hes been bad plain and simple.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, but Penguins sucked for many years.

2001-2002, 26th in League
2002-2003, 29th in League
2003-2004, 30th in League
Lock-out (Missed one tank year)
2005-2006, 29th in League
2006-2007, 10th in League

They sucked for a long time, before starting to achieve something.
2007-2008 Penguins, 3 years after the rebuild has officially begun
Rebuild began 2001-2002. That's like 6 years before that.

I'd say Chicago's rebuild was more impressive. They didn't have to finish bottom of the league.

I'm talking about the years when Crosby finally arrived, because our core players didn't need time in the minors/junior (save for Siemens) and neither did Pittsburgh's, guys like Crosby, Malkin and Staal just jumped right in just like our guys Duchene, O'Reilly and Landeskog jumped right in

Yes, they drafted players who would help them previously like Ryan Whitney, Marc-Andre Fleury, Brooks Orpik, Colby Armstrong etc but those weren't their core players, just like we have drafted guys like Stastny, Jones, McLeod etc who aren't our core, they're our support group

All I'm saying is they didn't regress when the core finally showed up, and neither did the Blackhawks. We have, and its painful to watch when you have an incompetent management team

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont understand it neither. Yes we all can agree our D sucks but so has Semyon and especially on the road. Goals 1 and 3 last night were ALL on him. Yes Hunwick couldnt clear the puck 3 times but no damn way should you be letting goals in while the opposing player is shooting from behind the goal line. No excuse for that. Hes been bad plain and simple.

He checked out a long time ago and I don't blame him one bit. If management was dumb enough to provide him with this defense, facing prime scoring chance after prime scoring chance every single night because they forgot how to play defense, I'd check out too after a while

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That 3rd goal was terrible for sure.

It looks like his mind is not in the game sometimes, but since we gave up two high draft picks for him, no one will say he is throwing games away.

I don't think Varly is purposely throwing games away. I honestly think he is exhausted physically and mentally. The first half of the season he played almost every game and was just abused by amount of shots many of which were good scoring chances due to one of the worst defenses ever assembled.

Its not like he was facing 30 perimeter shots every night it was more like 15-20 good scoring chances plus another 10-15 perimeter shots. For any goalie in the league this would be difficult.

I'm not making excuses for Varly as he hasn't been very good lately, but I don't think he is purposely trying to tank. Its more like fatigue from trying to bail the team out the entire first half of the year.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'm talking about the years when Crosby finally arrived, because our core players didn't need time in the minors/junior (save for Siemens) and neither did Pittsburgh's, guys like Crosby, Malkin and Staal just jumped right in just like our guys Duchene, O'Reilly and Landeskog jumped right in

Yes, they drafted players who would help them previously like Ryan Whitney, Marc-Andre Fleury, Brooks Orpik, Colby Armstrong etc but those weren't their core players, just like we have drafted guys like Stastny, Jones, McLeod etc who aren't our core, they're our support group

All I'm saying is they didn't regress when the core finally showed up, and neither did the Blackhawks. We have, and its painful to watch when you have an incompetent management team

Yeah, but theire core is A LOT better than ours, it's not even close.

That's the problem with these "rebuiding projects", if you don't have the luck to get a Crosby you'll be stuck at the bottom forever.

In our case if Jones is another EJ instead of Lidstrom, we'll not improve a lot. Unless, of course, management decides to actually work and build a decent team.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't think Varly is purposely throwing games away. I honestly think he is exhausted physically and mentally. The first half of the season he played almost every game and was just abused by amount of shots many of which were good scoring chances due to one of the worst defenses ever assembled.

Its not like he was facing 30 perimeter shots every night it was more like 15-20 good scoring chances plus another 10-15 perimeter shots. For any goalie in the league this would be difficult.

I'm not making excuses for Varly as he hasn't been very good lately, but I don't think he is purposely trying to tank. Its more like fatigue from trying to bail the team out the entire first half of the year.

Ok, but what is different from the year that Anderson was playing bad? Why was he accused of throwing games away? It's the double standard that is really annoying

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Ok, but what is different from the year that Anderson was playing bad? Why was he accused of throwing games away? It's the double standard that is really annoying

Because he clearly was? You watch him go to stop a shot from the point, it goes in and he just shrugged his shoulders and paddled the puck to the ref. Then he talked bad about the organization on his way out.

There is no similarity. Varly is getting hung out to dry by our team and losing confidence over that. Was that not obvious when he said he hasn't been playing well?

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site

How is it a double standard? I still see Varly putting forth effort in TRYING to make stops. The 2 on 0 is the perfect example. Had this been Anderson 2 years ago, he would have given up when the puck was passed. There were multiple goals that Anderson let in that he looked like he had no interest in even trying to make a save after giving up a rebound. That's the difference to me. Varly is still TRYING, just not doing well.

How anyone can blame anything but bad luck on the third goal is beyond me.

Bad luck or not, for an NHL starter, there's no excuse for giving up a goal from behind the goal line. Especially when it hits them.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Because he clearly was? You watch him go to stop a shot from the point, it goes in and he just shrugged his shoulders and paddled the puck to the ref. Then he talked bad about the organization on his way out.

There is no similarity. Varly is getting hung out to dry by our team and losing confidence over that. Was that not obvious when he said he hasn't been playing well?

LOL... that's pathetic beyond belief... WHY WOULD A PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER SABOTAGE HIMSELF?

Just because he talked bad your beloved franchise doesn't explain why he would sabotage his chance of getting a bigger pay-check after the season. That's just silly.

Now, if Varlamov was an UFA to be and you pretty much knew he wouldn't be back here next season i bet you wouldn't blame "bad luck" on that 3rd goal last night.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
LOL... that's pathetic beyond belief... WHY WOULD A PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER SABOTAGE HIMSELF?

Just because he talked bad your beloved franchise doesn't explain why he would sabotage his chance of getting a bigger pay-check after the season. That's just silly.

Now, if Varlamov was an UFA to be and you pretty much knew he wouldn't be back here next season i bet you wouldn't blame "bad luck" on that 3rd goal last night.

Actually, even if Elliot were in net I'd blame it on bad luck. It bounced off the inside of his stick and right under the crossbar from a terribly lucky angle. **** happens. Especially with the lack of confidence Varly is displaying in himself.

As for Andy, obviously it didn't really hurt his chances with the extension Ottawa gave him. He came out and said he was pissed we wouldn't extend him over one year's body of work and wanted to see him repeat his success, he goes on to play like utter crap. He didn't even get hung out to dry like Varly has been, he let in stupid bad shots all the time.

His whole demeanor about the shots were 'I don't care, I'm outta here at the end of the season anyways' and it became infectious throughout the entire team. I don't pretend to know what kind of personality it requires to intentionally sacrifice one's own body of work to retaliate at their boss' but he did.

He will not be rewriting history anytime soon, Andy tucked tail and ran away from our club as far as I'm concerned.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

And BTW Anderson was playing with an All-star defense in front of him, right? Every one of the goalies that left the team that year looked better elsewhere the year after.

But Anderson was throwing games away, of course...:shakehead I wonder how we did not lose every game 15-0.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Because Anderson was purposely giving away games, because he was throwing a hissy fit about not getting the contract he wanted. Which forced our hand in trading him.

Varly on the other hand, has no reason to be giving games away, and doesn't appear to be purposely tanking, he looks tired and has had a stretch of bad games.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

He wasn't trying to sabotage himself. He knew if he tanked hard enough and long enough we'd have no choice but to ride out the year with him and watch him walk or trade him and at least get something for him.

The proof of him tanking was there as he was like .850 save percentage for the last 8 games or so of being here and then we traded him to an equally as bad Ottawa team and magically he was back to being a .920 goalie trying to earn a contract with them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Definitely, he seems to be getting worse and worse each game. I almost wish they would sit him for most of the rest of the season. Seems very damaging, almost like leaving him in for a bunch of goals against in one game.

Problem is Jiggy hasn't looked much better. This whole team is a mess right now, and the goaltending is no different.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Agreed, effin Varlamov's been a let down more often than not. He'll put together a game where he steals it once in a while.

What we shoulda done was moved Giguere for a 3rd or 4th pick at the deadline and given the AHLers (Pickard especially) rotating back-up duties. I'd love to see Pickard get some games in and be ready because I doubt Giggy is coming back this season unless this club is dumb enough to make the mistake of bringing back a has-been veteran for another season after it was clear they should've retired (Hejduk/Foote).

Pickard's numbers are fairly better than Varlamov's too, I know it's the AHL but I believe scoring there is a bit higher than in the NHL anyways and LE's not exactly a good AHL team. Giguere doesn't threaten Varlamov's starting job...he's old but maybe Pickard or Aito could give Varlamov a kick up the ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad