GDT: Avs and Jackets in Finland - Korpisavior Edition

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I didn't get that he was demanding more from himself from that comment. Saying "it sucked and was a waste of time and I wish the trip didn't happen" doesn't sound like "I wasn't happy with my play and I expect more of myself."

There's a longer interview on YouTube, it's an out of context quote.

But more important in understanding what he means is just years of experience of his interviews and actions. It's been a reoccurring theme throughout his young career. He even said it in the recent interview, he can't be but honest and he knows it rubs some people the wrong way.

Laine has absolutely always hated losing, and if his team loses he blames himself because he knows he is expected to lead, at least he expects it of himself to be the difference every night. When Finland lost a final in world championships, was he happy of his tournament MVP performance or did he sit on the ice and cry on TV?

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For what it’s worth, I don’t really have an issue with Laine’s comments. But I do think that (and Elvis comments posted earlier) are a signal that this team does not have adequate leadership from the top and some of our players are very fragile when the pressure is on.

I don’t think they handle losing well, which is good, but instead of working harder or working differently to get out of it, they work the same way and wallow in their self pity. It’s something you see in younger players sometimes, but I think it’s something both Laine and Elvis should be better at handling.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
There's a longer interview on YouTube, it's an out of context quote.

But more important in understanding what he means is just years of experience of his interviews and actions. It's been a reoccurring theme throughout his young career. He even said it in the recent interview, he can't be but honest and he knows it rubs some people the wrong way.

Laine has absolutely always hated losing, and if his team loses he blames himself because he knows he is expected to lead, at least he expects it of himself to be the difference every night. When Finland lost a final in world championships, was he happy of his tournament MVP performance or did he sit on the ice and cry on TV?
I'm not questioning whether he hates losing, or whatever. I can't think of anybody that has played a sport that liked losing. I just thought it was a poor choice of words. That's it. I don't think any less of the guy.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Semantics.

He’s more “face of the franchise” than any of those guys were, IMO, even Foligno as captain.

It’s not as if Larsen can step up and say anything without his players yelling back at him….
Lol all of a sudden Laine is a significant voice?

I’m happy to muss and fuss about what Laine said and whether it was a bad idea or a moment of honesty or whatever. I just find it ridiculous we’re comparing him to Foligno and Dubinsky as a leader.

Reactions: Fro

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
What I got from Laine's comments is that he puts the success of the team above any sentiments he might have about playing in his hometown. From what I read, he said that he came in there to do a job, which was to win games for Columbus, and that he didn't get the job done. If he doesn't win for the team, he's not happy, no matter what country he is in.

Basically it was just a message that he is all-in with Columbus and the NHL, and that's all he cares about. Playing in Finland isn't something that he's going to celebrate when his team is losing games.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If you ask me, this world would be better off without end-of-game and in-between-periods interviews, since the best you can hope from those is an emotional reaction or just the same old platitudes.

Can we not turn this into a place where we take snippets of Laine interviews and then do debates on whether he's showing incredible emotion and honesty in the moment providing emotional healing for the mankind or being a locker room cancer with horrible attitude problems?

Or if we do that, we suggest we create a thread for it and the side you take is not your choice, but people are divided into two groups randomly. That could actually be fun. I'm just imagining ***(anonimity of poster preserved) praising St. Patrik for his deep emotional wisdom and how it's so refreshing to have someone show an honest emotional response, even if it makes them look bad to some. So... who's game?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Laine wanted to win in his home country and city and was upset they didnt have a good showing. What was he supposed to say "We had fun, tried real hard, it was a good trip, we gotta work on things, blah blah blah"? Some people arent happy with anything and its comical and annoying at the same time.
A guy like Dubi in the past talks like that and everyone calls him a leader, Laine does it and a group of people act like hes a sulky baby. Talk about how all Laine wants to do is score, well he had a goal and an assist in game 1 and still sounded upset to lose to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad