Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire G Alexander Georgiev for 2022 3rd, 2022 5th, and 2023 3rd

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I don't mind this move. Yes, Keumper won a Cup with the Avs but that was a hefty payment last summer. A first, Timmons (expendable), and a 3rd (because they won the Cup).

A better defense in front of Georgiev *should* help his game and a proven back-up in Francouz.

I'll save final judgement until I see what his new contract is and what Sakic does with the savings in terms of getting Nuke re-signed or bringing in some other UFAs.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

About Georgiev’s attitude​

There have been some stories circulating about Georgiev and his attitude. The most prominent account was from Arthur Staple of The Athletic (subscription required) who wrote “His attitude hasn’t been incredibly positive, either, according to sources. The 25-year-old pending restricted free agent has alienated some around the team with his barely hidden desire to be a No. 1 goalie elsewhere.”

Sounds like he just really wants playing time and to be the #1.
I know nothing about the Rangers and am quite happy to be wrong.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
If Georgiev is a back up he’s pretty shit. He has to be warm to get him at his best. Pretty solid goaltender as a starter nevertheless. He’s a starter in this league, but a pretty low level starter. Probably like a Mike Smith type goalie. Can win you games, and will also lose you games.

You guys are good enough to make him look like an allstar though. Should perform pretty will as an Av.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
These become a typical “Sakic like” deals. Buy low a struggling player and throw him into “prove it to me” situation - Bura, Kadri, Nuke, JJ. If Georgiev cannot outplay Frank then he will be done in NHL. At the same time Frank is given an opportunity.

Anyway, a healthy competition never hurts and goaltending was not a problem no matter how many times Kuemper forgot to tie his equipment.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If Georgiev is a back up he’s pretty shit. He has to be warm to get him at his best. Pretty solid goaltender as a starter nevertheless. He’s a starter in this league, but a pretty low level starter. Probably like a Mike Smith type goalie. Can win you games, and will also lose you games.

You guys are good enough to make him look like an allstar though. Should perform pretty will as an Av.
Probably what I expect as well from watching him with the rangers. He has skill, hopefully Parkkila can work on his mental strength. That was his biggest issue with the rangers. Give up a soft one, immediately give up another one.

Reactions: AIexisLafreniereNYR

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't think the Avs have any intention of a tandem or split situation. Georgiev is coming to be the starter. Sakic has liked him for some time now, apparently his "personality issues" in New York were a result of wanting more playing time... he's coming here to get the lion's share of the games for better or worse.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like the move. It reminds me of the Grubauer trade at the 2018 draft. This is what Sakic does - brings in mid-20 year old players and turns them into household names.

I thought for sure Sakic was going to bring Georgiev in last summer when Grubauer walked and the other big UFA's (Andersen, Ullmark, etc.) were off the board. Wrong by a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad