Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Josh Manson from Ducks for Drew Helleson and a 2023 2nd RD Pick.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Way too early to know. The Avs can trade G and keep Toews if the player and club want it to happen.
G's money will help the 2nd line IMO
Obviously no one can tell what's going to happen but I'm pretty sure the long term plan is to have Byram and Makar on the 1st pairing for the next 10 years or so.

Having a good 2nd and 3rd pairing will be much tougher now with Helleson, Timmins and Barron gone. That's why we need to keep drafting dmen.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I still think Manson leaves. You pay valuable cap space to stars and super stars. You fill roles like his with cheaper free agents, entry level contract guys and TDL moves. If he took less than what he's making now he can stay but he won't and I don't blame him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still think Manson leaves. You pay valuable cap space to stars and super stars. You fill roles like his with cheaper free agents, entry level contract guys and TDL moves. If he took less than what he's making now he can stay but he won't and I don't blame him.
Yea I see Manson as this year's Saad.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
3x3,000,000 plus 3x$4,000,000 as the official Colorado spokesperson of Chik-Fil-A.
1653762718393.gif

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The reverse-jinx comments worked! :sarcasm: Nah, he's making me eat a crow big time from what I wrote in the trade forum. Besides some playoff mistakes, like that Greg Zanon-level two-on-one rubbish, he's been our most consistent defender. Toews has had some problems, Makar looks like he's not healthy, EJ had an absolutely forgettable Game 5, and JMFJ is yeah...

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
3x3,000,000 plus 3x$4,000,000 as the official Colorado spokesperson of Chik-Fil-A.
View attachment 553227
:sarcasm:
Wish he took it. Then again people saying Sturm gets more than 3x3 on the free market which seems insane. It really will come down to signing guys who take a real hometown discount. A keep the change type discount probably won't be enough for either and in the end that's fine. He has made some great plays here and there but someone else could have done much the same. I mean no one says Compher earned his bloated salary with last night's goals so let's not give him a couple million for a goal line save that many defenders would naturally try to execute.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hoping the excitement from winning games with a youngish team and hopefully winning it all makes him want to stick around and do it again.

Whether he stays or leaves and even if EJ sticks around, they still need a defenseman like Josh. Great fit.
Manson and EJ were huge in the second round. IMO they were the Avs best dman last series.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If Manson gets signed, it's gotta be without trade protection. It would be best to have the flexibility to re-sign Toews in 2 years and you probably need to get rid of Manson to afford it. Or just go for a 2 year contract from the start I guess.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Wish he took it. Then again people saying Sturm gets more than 3x3 on the free market which seems insane. It really will come down to signing guys who take a real hometown discount. A keep the change type discount probably won't be enough for either and in the end that's fine. He has made some great plays here and there but someone else could have done much the same. I mean no one says Compher earned his bloated salary with last night's goals so let's not give him a couple million for a goal line save that many defenders would naturally try to execute.
Who could replace Manson's level of play for less money?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Who could replace Manson's level of play for less money?
Sometimes you just accept less because of the cap. It's a lot to commit to a 4th D when you have so many others to pay. Manson worked only because he came at TDL and on retained salary. How do you propose paying full cap hit?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Manson gets signed, it's gotta be without trade protection. It would be best to have the flexibility to re-sign Toews in 2 years and you probably need to get rid of Manson to afford it. Or just go for a 2 year contract from the start I guess.
We're not re-signing Toews.

Do the math, there's no place for Toews here long term with a core of Mack (re-up), Rants (re-up), Makar (re-up), Landy, Byram (??), a 2C (??) and a 1G (??).

I'm not even counting G who I believe will get traded. Toews is 100% gone after this contract. Same path as Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad