Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Josh Manson from Ducks for Drew Helleson and a 2023 2nd RD Pick.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
He's been beast for us. Love him. Hope we can keep him. Perfectly balances the team. He has quality written all over him.

I do like him too. He's not going to blow us away with fancy stats, but he does his job.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't understand why some people solely rely on advanced stats to judge a player, especially when the playoffs come around.

If you want every player to have amazing advanced stats you can go back to the previous iterations of the team - which means they would either win 6-1 or lose 4-3. End of the day, the win counts the same as the loss.

Montreal had horrible advanced stats but made a miracle run to the cup finals, they simply don't tell the whole story. This years Avs would beat last years Avs in a series 9 times out of 10.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't understand why some people solely rely on advanced stats to judge a player, especially when the playoffs come around.

If you want every player to have amazing advanced stats you can go back to the previous iterations of the team - which means they would either win 6-1 or lose 4-3. End of the day, the win counts the same as the loss.

Montreal had horrible advanced stats but made a miracle run to the cup finals. This years Avs would beat last years Avs in a series 9 times out of 10.
Big emphasis on "beat". This year's Avs team would physically beat last year's team to a pulp.

MacDermid
Manson
JJ
Sturm > Jost
EJ back instead of Timmins

Plus Lehkonen being a fore-checking pest.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
His xGA/60 is mediocre as well.

So he’s terrible at helping a team create chances..and below average at preventing chances. What else is there? Please show me the amazing advanced (or any) stat that shows us he’s as good dman as you claim.
It's posts like these that tell me all I need to know about certain posters who will run to an advanced stats website, not bother watching any actual hockey games, and then claim they know everything there is to know about a player.

Good stuff.

Reactions: Alienblood

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
It's posts like these that tell me all I need to know about certain posters who will run to an advanced stats website, not bother watching any actual hockey games, and then claim they know everything there is to know about a player.

Good stuff.
I mean for the eye test he's definitely had his moments too which probably didn't help his fancy stats but none of our d men have been without those. Like most have said though he does the job he was brought in to do and brings a dynamic that most of our other D don't have.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
His xGA/60 is mediocre as well.

So he’s terrible at helping a team create chances..and below average at preventing chances. What else is there? Please show me the amazing advanced (or any) stat that shows us he’s as good dman as you claim.
Ok, I'm gonna be honest. I was going to post +/-, just to try and get you to flip your lid; but freaking Manson is a team worst -5. *LOL*

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I mean for the eye test he's definitely had his moments too which probably didn't help his fancy stats but none of our d men have been without those. Like most have said though he does the job he was brought in to do and brings a dynamic that most of our other D don't have.
No Dman in the NHL is without WTF moments. Or moments when a player like MacKinnon, or Nuke, blow past them like they are stationary. There are no advanced stats for: "Manson cleared that guy out of the crease and left an indentation in the end boards in the process."

Reactions: forsbergavs32

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Manson hasn't been great, but he hasn't been bad since he got the first couple games out of the way. I think he'll be a lot better in the playoffs too when his game can really shine. That said, we see how far he has regressed over the past few seasons. He's not nearly the skater he once was and it limits him dramatically (IE don't resign him to 3-4+ year deal).

Reactions: Pokecheque

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado

Montreal had horrible advanced stats but made a miracle run to the cup finals, they simply don't tell the whole story. This years Avs would beat last years Avs in a series 9 times out of 10.

Wait what? Last year they had absurdly good advanced stats. Only the Avs had a better CorsiFor%.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Meh, I obviously would like to see more from Manson but he hasn't been a trainwreck apart from that one game. In those contests where the Avs are up against a big, physical opponent, he shines. Against teams that possess a lot of speed and skill, he tends to struggle.

I would like to see him alongside Girard before passing any real judgment. Bednar tried them a little in the last game but not much. Understandable to a point since it was G's first game in a month, but I sure hope it's tried a little more with the handful of games left.

One thing I really DO NOT like is when Bednar does the blender thing with his pairings to the point where he constantly has his RH guys playing the left side. EJ is bad over there, and so is Manson IMO.

Not going to complain too much though. We all wanted the Avs to get a #4 defenseman who complemented G down the stretch (those of us who weren't constantly calling for G to get traded of course) who was big and physical and could eat big minutes...well, there he is. He's clearly not the player he was 4-5 years ago, but if he was, Anaheim wouldn't be trading him.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

because for a lot of casual fans it’s easier to look up a list of numbers to make judgements about a player vs actually watching them play

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
On moneypuck it shows their Corsi and Fenwick below 50% their entire playoff run.
That's the playoffs though. Your Corsi there is going to mostly just get determined by how you match up with someone. The Regular season usually has a way more varied set of circumstances in which to test your team's ability. (Although last year that was admittedly iffy)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Manson reminds me of a more hard nosed Graves. He can play top 4 but ideally you don’t want him playing that role. About the same offensive capability too. I know folks remember Graves as some play driver but he scored 2 goals last year. I have zero expectation he stays, he’s been a clear rental from day 1.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Manson to me has always been a replacement (or to fill the same role) for Zadarov. I remember a bunch of people on this board being regretful that we didn't have Zadarov to keep things even on the ice during the playoffs. I'm expecting Manson to fill that void. And just like Zadarov - maybe it's not pretty in the regular season but his style is sorely needed in the playoffs on this team.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
He's a decent player that I think can still eat some good playoff minutes... I would prefer to not bring him back, he already struggles to keep up with his skating, and he's probably looking for a final big contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad