Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Josh Manson from Ducks for Drew Helleson and a 2023 2nd RD Pick.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
If the Avs win the cup this year do you try to trade Toews for the elusive 2nd line center? Would rather trade G but suspect Toews at that salary for 2 more years might get the Avs more.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
We're not re-signing Toews.

Do the math, there's no place for Toews here long term with a core of Mack (re-up), Rants (re-up), Makar (re-up), Landy, Byram (??), a 2C (??) and a 1G (??).

I'm not even counting G who I believe will get traded. Toews is 100% gone after this contract. Same path as Kadri.
Toews will be the same age as Manson right now. Just thinkin that if we sign one, it should probably be Toews.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Toews will be the same age as Manson right now. Just thinkin that if we sign one, it should probably be Toews.
Apples and oranges.

Toews will get top pairing money for 6-7 years and by the time his contract expires it's believed that Byram will be able to take his spot.

Manson should get 2nd pairing money for ~4 years, his contract is expiring now and we have no one to replace him.

Reactions: Bront

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We're not re-signing Toews.

Do the math, there's no place for Toews here long term with a core of Mack (re-up), Rants (re-up), Makar (re-up), Landy, Byram (??), a 2C (??) and a 1G (??).

I'm not even counting G who I believe will get traded. Toews is 100% gone after this contract. Same path as Kadri.

If they bridge Bo, which I think they may, I think they can keep Toews and the guys you mentioned. Especially if the cap keeps going up finally.

Longer term after Mikko and Cale need to be re-upped is too hard to predict. Too many things can change things.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Best goalie left in the western conference
1653875099646.gif

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If the Avs win the cup this year do you try to trade Toews for the elusive 2nd line center? Would rather trade G but suspect Toews at that salary for 2 more years might get the Avs more.
Toews is worth way too much excess value for those 2 years unless you get an equally underpaid player. If G gets traded then the player coming back probably is like a Kadri, decent player who you think elevates his game with a better team with better wingers than he has now. Not going to produce Kadri numbers but the alternative is use Newhook and nothing suggests that will happen. Maybe a guy like Copp is available for free, but far from certain and probably going to eat up more space than Kadri does now.

The way to think about it isn't the way so many knuckleheads do and say "who is good enough to replace this guy?" On a strong roster with a lot of highly paid players it becomes who do I have down the list or that I can sign who can at least replace some of what I lost. So if I trade G, can I bring up Murray at a lower cap hit next year and play him next to Bo? Then use the Johnsons a lot and hope it all holds together. That's close to 3m of savings that all goes to Nuke, so you really didnt replace anything and didn't get better and probably lost a little without Manson, but that's how it goes in cap world. Then if it really isn't working go get someone at TDL and ride that train again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram's bridge would end after year one of Toews' new contract.

Or year two if they go three years with Bo. But either way we're talking 3-4 years down the line. Hard to predict what the Avs cap situation will be like.

The only thing that matters in terms of re-signing Toews is what their cap situation is like in 2 years/off-seasons when Toews is a UFA. They can make adjustments in the following seasons if necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad