Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Injuries will happen, and with a condensed schedule, teams will make panic trades. Cole might find himself useful somewhere else

Cole's contract is unmoveable this year and we wouldn't move him anyway. Coaches like their veteran presence on the blue line + he's one of the few guys left who's a bit physical, can play on both sides and can PK.

Fact is they used Timmins instead of Byram in the last playoff run and I don't see why things would have changed during the offseason.

I'm not saying Byram should go back to junior, he absolutely shouldn't, but there's just no room unless there's an injury that we aren't aware of.

Literally all 3 guys ahead of him on the left side are entering the first year of their big money/long term contracts. How is he supposed to leapfrog any of them? Even a good WJC and a good camp won't cut it.

There's also the remote possibility of moving one of Girard or Toews to the right side but they'd shoot themselves in the foot and this isn't the year for that.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Cole's contract is unmoveable this year and we wouldn't move him anyway. Coaches like their veteran presence on the blue line + he's one of the few guys left who's a bit physical, can play on both sides and can PK.

Fact is they used Timmins instead of Byram in the last playoff run and I don't see why things would have changed during the offseason.

I'm not saying Byram should go back to junior, he absolutely shouldn't, but there's just no room unless there's an injury that we aren't aware of.

Literally all 3 guys ahead of him on the left side are entering the first year of their big money/long term contracts. How is he supposed to leapfrog any of them? Even a good WJC and a good camp won't cut it.

There's also the remote possibility of moving one of Girard or Toews to the right side but they'd shoot themselves in the foot and this isn't the year for that.
Timmins playing in the AHL makes the most sense IMO. Byram can be the 7th D unless he forces himself onto the roster. There’s going to be injuries.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
With the way these guys get injured I can guarantee you all that Byram is going to play regular season games in an Avs uni this season so long as there is a season to be played. Adam Werner will also see a game because you know our goalies are made breath strips.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They other thing if Byram gets sent down is you start to question the commitment level to him.

qo2X8Zo.gif

Come on, TV!

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I mean, you do.

I did not say it means they’ve written him off or anything of that sort. Really the org’s commitment to anyone who is not a NHL regular is fair to question.
They used the 4th overall pick on him in a good draft year. I think they're pretty committed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I mean, you do.

I did not say it means they’ve written him off or anything of that sort. Really the org’s commitment to anyone who is not a NHL regular is fair to question.

I wouldn't question the commitment but I don't think it'd be a smart idea. I've also said a few times now if the Avs try to send him back to the WHL, him and his agent should tell them it's not happening.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram just turned 19 in June. He's got plenty of time.

I'd prefer if he's in the lineup if ready this year too, but if he's not for some reason, I don't think it will impact his future on the Avs at all. They're very high on him.

They're just being patient with his development (which is what you want) and they have a pretty stacked blueline right now that would need to make some moves to fit both Byram and Timmins.

One things for sure, I can't see them burning a year of his ELC just to have him sit in the stands all year as a 7/8D during his 19 year old D+2 season. That would be a terrible idea for both the team and him.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
He was insanely good in the playoffs. This is a huge get.

NYI fan here...so, so angry they let him go - you got a hell of a player. Occasional mistakes, like all d-men - but skates exceptionally well, very good defensively, has a head for the game, excellent passer...

So angry they let Devon go and not Leddy, who is like Devon skating wise but plays little or no defense. In the words of the inimitable Jack Bauer - "DAMN IT!"

You got a solid keeper for the next 7-10 years.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
NYI fan here...so, so angry they let him go - you got a hell of a player. Occasional mistakes, like all d-men - but skates exceptionally well, very good defensively, has a head for the game, excellent passer...

So angry they let Devon go and not Leddy, who is like Devon skating wise but plays little or no defense. In the words of the inimitable Jack Bauer - "DAMN IT!"

You got a solid keeper for the next 7-10 years.

Thanks for dropping by and saying this. I always appreciate hearing from fans of other teams. Hey... if you wanted... you could always... follow him here...

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just realizing that Toews underlying CF numbers were much better than all other Islanders defenceman. I thought he was more of the 3rd, or 4th guy on that defence, but that’s encouraging to see.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Just realizing that Toews underlying CF numbers were much better than all other Islanders defenceman. I thought he was more of the 3rd, or 4th guy on that defence, but that’s encouraging to see.
He’s very similar to Leddy. Great good puck rusher better offense instincts which he will show in a more up tempo system. Most of us islanders fans wanted to keep him but salary cap reason was the reason they had to trade him. His value was much more then Leddy due to the contract so I understand why the islanders traded him. It was a good move for the avalanche for sure.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Well we know what he's capable of when we're up 6-0 anyway. I still didn't love what I saw from the Toews/Makar pairing in the first game, but they were solid last night. Definitely looks like he could be the right piece

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Toews just fits how this team like to play. I don’t think there is a team that could possibly set him up more for success. He gets to play with Makar on the top pairing and gets to play for a fast skating, quick transition team which fits his game very well.

Toews value on the open market might have been 2 2nds and 4 years at 4 AAV, but he’s going to be worth a lot more to this team.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I wonder how long before teams start and how will they try to interfere with what G and he are doing on the PP. Both of his goals are a carbon copy of one another. G pulls in the high forward and then drops back a slow pass for him to hammer home. And I don't care if Nuke doesn't score a goal the whole season if he continues to play like that on the PP. Stand in front of the goalie like a tree trunk and refuse to be moved. Both of Toews' goals came because the goalie had no idea the shot was even coming.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I wonder how long before teams start and how will they try to interfere with what G and he are doing on the PP. Both of his goals are a carbon copy of one another. G pulls in the high forward and then drops back a slow pass for him to hammer home. And I don't care if Nuke doesn't score a goal the whole season if he continues to play like that on the PP. Stand in front of the goalie like a tree trunk and refuse to be moved. Both of Toews' goals came because the goalie had no idea the shot was even coming.
Even if they try to mitigate and plan against that drop pass, Girard is so quick and agile that he'll be able to find openings.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Even if they try to mitigate and plan against that drop pass, Girard is so quick and agile that he'll be able to find openings.

Yes, they should be able to disguise it and put in some variations so that it is hard to defend, but even if you don't tinker with it that much it's just so hard to defend. Nuke takes away one defender, G ties in high forward, and the rest either have to cheat from down low or be in the shooting lane to try to block the shot, which screens the goalie some more, which happened to Husso who didn't see a damn thing when Toews took his shot.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Given how Girard and Toews have taken to each other on PP2 I wonder how Byram will get worked into the PP units.

One solution is to roll with two Dmen on each PP unit, with Byram bumping Kadri down to PP2:

Mackinnon ----- Landeskog ----- Rantanen
--------- Makar ------------ Byram ------------

Kadri ---------- Nichuskin --------- Burakovsky
----------- Girard --------- Toews ---------------

Another variant would be to roll with 3 Dmen on PP2...

Mackinnon ----- Landeskog ----- Rantanen
--------- Makar ------------ Kadri ------------

Byram --------- Nichuskin ------- Burakovsky
---------- Girard ----------- Toews -------------

Has that ever been done before, having 3 Dmen on the same unit? The mobility between Byram/Girard/Toews would be pretty interesting to watch if Bednar did decide to give that a go and have Byram as a sort of a forward rover on that unit.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I would roll with 4 Dmen on the PP units, it just makes perfect sense considering our options. We have great talent on the blueline, use it.

The 1st PP unit needs a change and leaving Toews, Byram or Girard without PP time sounds stupid.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
He's damn good. I didn't want to buy the hype when the Avs acquired him because good GMs don't let players like this go even with cap problems, but he's damn good. Exactly the kind of player you want to squeeze in with players like Makar-Byram. He actually reminds me a bit of Girard, but obviously with lower mobility.

I would roll with 4 Dmen on the PP units, it just makes perfect sense considering our options. We have great talent on the blueline, use it.

The 1st PP unit needs a change and leaving Toews, Byram or Girard without PP time sounds stupid.

MacKinnon - Landeskog - Rantanen
Byram - Makar

Saad - Kadri - Burakovsky
Toews - Girard

Do it Bednar!

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad