Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
Sakic: Hey Lou I'm hearing you're shopping Boychuk?
Lou: Yeah that's right Joe!
Sakic: So how about two seconds for Devon Toews?
Lou: Sounds good Joe!
Sakic: Great let's finalize the trade call!
*Lou awakens from fugue state*
Lou: Wait what just happened?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Anyone have any info on this dude?
Steep price, but Toews is legitimately good and was fantastic in the playoffs. He's like a mid-pairing version of Slavin, but I could see what Hench says as Makar's partner. Much, much prefer him to play with Cale than Graves as we all saw what happened when he got more minutes due to injuries. He has very good puck moving ability and plays both ends of the ice with good enough talent, IQ, and physicality. Has some occasional brain-fart moments and can be susceptible to physical players on the forecheque, but a lot to like here and doesn't get lost like Zadorov does.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Seems like a solid pickup but, barring a Cole trade, I'm not liking what this probably means for Byram this upcoming season.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Shame on those who prematurely doubted Sakic and his divine plan.

tenor.gif

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
From Joe's words I bet this is the D:
Toews-Makar
Girard-EJ
Graves-Timmins
Cole

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just realized we can also go with this if Toews is more of a 2nd pairing guy than top pairing guy. God what a great trade.

Girard-Makar
Toews-EJ

Yep. Toews would provide adequate puck moving on a pairing with EJ as well.

In fact, this is probably what I hope to see them try.

The amazing thing is, Graves should perform exceptionally well in that 3rd pairing role for us with a little less pressure, and if injuries strike the Top 4 we know he can fill in and do a solid job.

We just went from having a Defense that looked a touch suspect, to looking absolutely stacked with this deal.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Just realized we can also go with this if Toews is more of a 2nd pairing guy than top pairing guy. God what a great trade.

Girard-Makar
Toews-EJ

That would certainly be interesting, would allow our two best defensemen to eat up a lot of time. I do think we are probably looking at:

Graves-Makar
Girard-EJ
Toews-Cole

To start the season anyways. I think the goal will be to move Cole to 7th D and have Timmins there instead. The Avs like to spread out the ice time quite a bit, so that should help. The problem is that it doesn't sound like Toews was playing a lot of PK...so that still leaves a hole there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yep. Toews would provide adequate puck moving on a pairing with EJ as well.

In fact, this is probably what I hope to see them try.

The amazing thing is, Graves should perform exceptionally well in that 3rd pairing role for us with a little less pressure, and if injuries strike the Top 4 we know he can fill in and do a solid job.

We just went from having a Defense that looked a touch suspect, to looking absolutely stacked with this deal.
Yup. I was incredibly hesitant of the defense an hour ago, but now I love the flexibility and transition ability. For real good luck trying to keep us in our zone with this top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad