Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Brad Stuart

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think their main goal was to add veteran presence. Guys that have been deep in the playoffs and can help guide our younger players.

Brad Richards at 2+m vs Daniel Briere at 4m + the loss of a 5th round pick

The point is to get a stop gap that fits what you need and will make your team better. Del Zotto would make this team worse. You don't bring in a guy who sucks at D when your D is weak. Same for McBain. We don't need another #5 PP fill in. What makes Butler better than Stuart? Neither are offensive guys. And 5 on 5 Stuart actually was playing in a highr role (2nd line vs 3rd line) on a much better team. Stuart is also big and physical, unlike Butler. Tallinder doesn't hit either, is even older and was another guy on a crappy team.

Fair enough, You are much higher on Stuart than I am, and as I've said, I only watched about 10 of his games last season and not solely to focus on and evaluate his play, and randomly searched some SJS GDTs from various parts of the season.

I was just pulling the list from the remaining FAs that wouldn't cost 2 picks and 3.6m to bring in who have at least performed on a 2nd pairing level at some point in their careers.

I will defer to your evaluations as I have to accept his presence on this team anyway.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Brad Richards at 2+m vs Daniel Briere at 4m + the loss of a 5th round pick

i can't say i'm a fan of briere trade but it's not guaranteed at all that they'd have gotten richards at that deal. he's likely chasing the cup and the offer would've have to been huge to get him come here.

no doubt he declined very good offers, from money perspective. he's after the cup and going with hawks was probably the best option/fit.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Pretty much the antithesis of what the Avs front office have been looking for...

Sakic and Roy probably still think of him as a Conn Smythe winner - therefore super playoff performer. Isn't that exactly what they look for?

And a thought, if NYR won the cup, do they still buy him out?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The point is to get a stop gap that fits what you need and will make your team better. Del Zotto would make this team worse. You don't bring in a guy who sucks at D when your D is weak. Same for McBain. We don't need another #5 PP fill in. What makes Butler better than Stuart? Neither are offensive guys. And 5 on 5 Stuart actually was playing in a highr role (2nd line vs 3rd line) on a much better team. Stuart is also big and physical, unlike Butler. Tallinder doesn't hit either, is even older and was another guy on a crappy team.

stuart won't make this team better though. He's just turrible.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
i can't say i'm a fan of briere trade but it's not guaranteed at all that they'd have gotten richards at that deal. he's likely chasing the cup and the offer would've have to been huge to get him come here.

no doubt he declined very good offers, from money perspective. he's after the cup and going with hawks was probably the best option/fit.

Also worth noting that it appears as though for some unknown reason PAP had negative trade value, or at least close to it.

Avs saved 4 million dollars on the PAP for Briere deal as well. It could arguably said that the trade was PAP for Briere and a 5th for 4 million in fiscal/cap space in 2015.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
stuart won't make this team better though. He's just turrible.

Stuart is better than Guenin. He is maybe not a better player than Benoit, but fills the need on the blueline that Benoit cannot.

He may not make the team a ton better directly himself, but he will allow other players to play their role better, making them better.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Stuart is better than Guenin. He is maybe not a better player than Benoit, but fills the need on the blueline that Benoit cannot.

He may not make the team a ton better directly himself, but he will allow other players to play their role better, making them better.
Ok , the above is exactly what I define as making the team better. If you make or create something that allows those others to play better. I understand you probably are say he will not be directly doing stat X... I agree but I love guys who make or allow others to lay better, it's a team game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think we'll have to see how Stuart plays next year. Guenin and Benoit weren't that far off from each other IMO. Benoit just skated a little better, and handled the puck a little better, but overall I don't think they were that far off from each other.

Also, I think we'll see the real Stuart 2-3 months into the season. He might look decent his first month with the team, trying to prove himself a little with a new fanbase and a new coach. Sarich looked "decent" enough to where he was serviceable as a 3rd pairing guy his first 5-10 games, but then took a nose dive to wear he was too big a liability to even be trusted as a #6.

I just hope Briere, Iggy, and Stuart get feel motivated to work harder than they ever have this summer to get in shape. The older you get the harder you have to work it seems to keep the rigors from wearing you down over the season.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think we'll have to see how Stuart plays next year. Guenin and Benoit weren't that far off from each other IMO. Benoit just skated a little better, and handled the puck a little better, but overall I don't think they were that far off from each other.

Also, I think we'll see the real Stuart 2-3 months into the season. He might look decent his first month with the team, trying to prove himself a little with a new fanbase and a new coach. Sarich looked "decent" enough to where he was serviceable as a 3rd pairing guy his first 5-10 games, but then took a nose dive to wear he was too big a liability to even be trusted as a #6.

I just hope Briere, Iggy, and Stuart get feel motivated to work harder than they ever have this summer to get in shape. The older you get the harder you have to work it seems to keep the rigors from wearing you down over the season.

Sarich seemed to slow substantially after his injury and never recovered from it.

The plus side to it all is the Avs have the depth in the system right now where if they want to they could play Hejda and Stuart 70 games rather than the full 82, presuming they are healthy. Siemens is going to get at least 15-20 games this year IMO even if everyone stays healthy, he has to be given a shot at some point this year. Redmond will get his turn I am sure given Roy's faith in AHLers. Elliott will also get a chance unless the Avs trade him. Wilson will also be hanging around unless someone is stupid enough to claim him on waivers.

I also think that Hejda, Stuart, and Holden will all play situationally, meaning on any given night one of them could lead the lefty D men in minutes and they all kind of rotate playing with Barrie or EJ.

Stuart and Hejda are MILES above where Sarich was going into last year as well. I get the comparison to a degree, but it is not exactly apples to apples. They also will be playing with a top flight D man most of the time in EJ and Barrie. Sarich was often playing with Guenin, Holden, or Wilson. Thus he had to work harder to keep up.

I also think that if the Avs are a contender going into the deadline they will make a pitch for a top end left handed D man in his prime. Baring injury of course, there SHOULD not be any major needs at forward at the trade deadline, so the Avs should only be focused on putting assets towards bolstering the blueline.

Frankly, if the Avs are contending for a top spot in the conference and one of Stuart or Hejda are not looked to be upgraded upon, I would be shocked.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Sarich seemed to slow substantially after his injury and never recovered from it.

The plus side to it all is the Avs have the depth in the system right now where if they want to they could play Hejda and Stuart 70 games rather than the full 82, presuming they are healthy. Siemens is going to get at least 15-20 games this year IMO even if everyone stays healthy, he has to be given a shot at some point this year. Redmond will get his turn I am sure given Roy's faith in AHLers. Elliott will also get a chance unless the Avs trade him. Wilson will also be hanging around unless someone is stupid enough to claim him on waivers.

I also think that Hejda, Stuart, and Holden will all play situationally, meaning on any given night one of them could lead the lefty D men in minutes and they all kind of rotate playing with Barrie or EJ.

Stuart and Hejda are MILES above where Sarich was going into last year as well. I get the comparison to a degree, but it is not exactly apples to apples. They also will be playing with a top flight D man most of the time in EJ and Barrie. Sarich was often playing with Guenin, Holden, or Wilson. Thus he had to work harder to keep up.

I also think that if the Avs are a contender going into the deadline they will make a pitch for a top end left handed D man in his prime. Baring injury of course, there SHOULD not be any major needs at forward at the trade deadline, so the Avs should only be focused on putting assets towards bolstering the blueline.

Frankly, if the Avs are contending for a top spot in the conference and one of Stuart or Hejda are not looked to be upgraded upon, I would be shocked.

There are a lot of defensemen on this roster right now, so aside from a bunch of significant injuries, I don't see how Siemens is going to play 20 games.

I'm more positive about Stuart than a lot of people here. All the Avs really need from Stuart/Hejda, is solid defense and puck movement, so the guys next to them (EJ/Barrie) can go out there and do their thing. Stuart/Hejda don't need to be spectacular all over the ice. They need to anchor their pairing(s), IMO.

And in the end, the Avs have Stuart/Hejda for only one more season, then they're both (likely) off the books. The other issue is that Stuart is a better option on that left side than Holden or Wilson. I like Holden's play in the offensive zone, but honestly - I fail to see why Roy/Sakic are so enamored with him overall. He's just OK. And Wilson has fallen off the cliff, and barely looked like a NHL player last year. Hence, I'm OK with Stuart for a season.

And hey - if Holden turns out to be a real NHL player and/or Wilson finds his game, the Avs could be in a solid trading position at some point next season. Playoff-bound teams are always looking for veteran defensemen at the deadline.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
And we are the ones who have 4 million more cap space in 15-16

bears_repeating.jpg

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
And we are the ones who have 4 million more cap space in 15-16

Curious as to where they plan on using all this cap space. The FA list already looks shakey considering the sure fire guys that won't even see UFA (Kane, Toews, etc)

Guess the Avs could always bring in more experience and sign Jagr. Would make that crazy blogger happy.

Have a feeling next year will prove more of the same of this year in the offseason unless the Avs get more aggresive in trades. Sign and trade for a few stop gaps while keeping that flexible cap space rolling over when EJ and MacK will need new deals.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Curious as to where they plan on using all this cap space. The FA list already looks shakey considering the sure fire guys that won't even see UFA (Kane, Toews, etc)

Guess the Avs could always bring in more experience and sign Jagr. Would make that crazy blogger happy.

Have a feeling next year will prove more of the same of this year in the offseason unless the Avs get more aggresive in trades. Sign and trade for a few stop gaps while keeping that flexible cap space rolling over when EJ and MacK will need new deals.

Yeah they certainly will have options with the other contracts coming off of the books too. I keep my expectations of a bigger move low myself but they were much more active this year than last year at least.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

There are some names that may get to free agency that would be good names... Dubinsky, Staal, Williams, Foligno, Methot, Greene, etc. They may not be stars, but they would be good additions.

I'd say the Avs were fairly aggressive this free agency. They brought in one of the bigger fish, a young decent potential defensemen, strengthened the bottom 6, and were in on the top UFA defensemen until the bidding got crazy.

The Avs don't need to be super aggressive when it comes to their lineup as they are not competing next year (I think they are shooting for 15-16 being the first year to take a run). The weakness in the lineup is really with the defense, where the prospect pool is the strongest. Bigras will probably be a full time NHL player soon (15-16 is my guess). Siemens could as well. That would fill the 2 of the 3 spots that really look to be open in the everyday lineup (Hejda and Stuart's going forward.... Barrie, EJ, and Holden will be Avs for a while, Elliott or Redmond can hopefully fill the other open spot for the long haul). If that comes to pass, having a long-term deal for big money could be an issue.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
don't see mr game 7 hitting FA. or duby. the rest are possible, as is martin imo.

I could see Dubi as he tends to be a bit of a hard negotiator. I agree Williams is unlikely, but LA could really run into some cap issues next year with Muzzin (especially him), Toffoli, Pearson, Stoll, and Martinez all needing new deals as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I could see Dubi as he tends to be a bit of a hard negotiator. I agree Williams is unlikely, but LA could really run into some cap issues next year with Muzzin (especially him), Toffoli, Pearson, Stoll, and Martinez all needing new deals as well.

i think they let stoll and martinez walk. more easily replaceable. williams is in good position there but if he really wants ridiculous money he will probably go elsewhere (and get it).

but LA really seems to want to keep their core pieces together, and williams is definitely one of those.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think firming up the bottom 6 and the defense with a cap dump trade, a trade for a 3.6m 4/5, a 4C/RW, and signing a 900k "potential" quality Dman is really aggressive. Avs were aggressive then by signing Benoit, Guenin, Holden, and picking up Cliche because all of those signings were very similar to the ones this season.

Bing in on the bidding for FAs is nice, but to be aggressive you have to be willing to win the auction. It may not be a sound move, but that is the nature of FA. Iginla was a nice play, but they committed to a 37 year old for 3 years (I would guess the Avs were one of the few teams willing to give that term. Iginla had started to show signs of difficulty keeping up with the speed of play from what I watched over the last 2 years. With the Avs Man to Man defense as well as the speed of his likely centers while seeing much more Western Conference teams, my expectations for him are currently tempered.

I think Staal never makes it. He will get re-signed by NYR or traded to a team that will re-sign him. Doubt Methot does either unless Ottawa tanks it up again and he chooses to jump ship.

Defense:
I'd love to run at Alec Martinez, Martin, or Ehrhoff, but the latter 2 will likely be "Iginla-eque signings where the potential value towards the end of the term is in serious doubt. Doubt they will run at any of the big name RH Dmen unless Barrie is leaving or proves to be more of a 3rd pairing guy.

Offense:
All hinges on ROR, Iginla, and Tanguay. If ROR is traded or appears to be leaving, that will be a game changer. If Tanguay continues to be an injury risk or Iginla struggles, there could be a chance they spend money up front, but the Avs will have to maintain their "structure" or "budget" so signing an impact players like a Bobby Ryan or even a Duvinsky is very unlikely.

Just my guess and opinion though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad