Avs 2016 Offseason Signing/Fantasy Thread

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's pretty much a complete unknown at the moment. The Loonie is rebounding and teams probably hedged against it... how much that helps/hurts? That is hard to say. We could probably see a cap in the 71-73.5 range, and that dramatically changes things for the Avs. Then other factors that we don't know (but the FO probably does) like Stuart on LTIR, potentially Iggy waiving, planned dumps of other players (potentially Mitchell or Holden/Gelinas), and/or even trades of core players.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I still like the prospect of acquiring Drouin if possible with picks and a prospect (or even a player like Grigorenko, who may even be ahead of Drouin in development), but that's it, because I would like Boedker / Matthias resigned.

The problem is we have to re-sign Barrie and Mackinnon. Thankfully Mackinnon's numbers means we should be able to fit him in the (salary structure) - if Duchene is getting 6 mill, is more productive than Mackinnon, but less two way, 29 should be on similar money.

Drouin - Mackinnon - Boedker
Landeskog - Duchene - Rantanen
Matthias - Soderberg - Iginla
Mcleod - Mitchell - Comeau

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie
Zadorov - Bigras / Gelinas

Varlamov
Pickard

Even with the above, I believe we struggle to fit them all under the cap. Thankfully Iginla / Stuart's contracts come off the books at the end of next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't mind Yandle if he took less money than EJ or Barrie, and was fine with a 3-4 year deal...aka he can go back to boston and sign an insane contract there. Just lock up Barrie and MacK, do what needs to be done so that we sign Rads/Boedker, and if all goes well have enough money left over to give Matthias a 2 year deal at Malkin money or less or go after that defensively reliable stay-at-home third pairing vet that Stuart would've been for us if his back had never been broken by bane. Our D is still a work in progress but it's so exciting from a long term perspective that I'd hate to over-commit to someone who'd get in the way of our kids there...at least now that we have Beauch for two more years and are unlikely to dump both Holden & Gelinas by the time next season comes around.

Woody and Peacock should be full timers by season's end next year, and Bigras becoming a top 4 guy when on his game isn't an unrealistical goal. He may lack the consistency to lock it down all year long, but he can do what Holden's done this year (only with much strong "good games"). Beauch will fall off of a cliff at some point and end up giving us what we got from Stuart last year (with some better puck skills), but hopefully he still has enough in the tank to start the year in a top 4 role before he fades (kinda how Hejda did in that final season)...or better yet, he doesn't fade until the final year of his contract. EJ's a long term concern with how his game will age (especially with all of the injuries he's had), but Meloche is a long term solution. Hopefully they're ready for a passing of the baton in 3-5 years. With Mironov, Geertsen, Boikov, and many coming 2nd round picks in the pipeline to fill in the depth; the long run looks very bright for our blueline. It's just a matter of getting through this season, and the early part of next year before we'll have the horses there to match up with the top teams.

I'm much less thrilled with our forward core; unless we get Radulov (or at least Boedker on a reasonable contract), sign JTC to an ELC this summer, and can bring back Matthias w/o overpaying him...at least over the next ~2 years; as the Beaudin/Greer/Compher/Nantel/Henley generation look like they'll provide quality cheap-depth as we move past that mark, and by then MacK/Greg/Mikko should be entering or approaching their primes. I love Mikko, and have been defending Greg since Roy vouched for him with the ROR trade; but banking on kids to consistently play to the level they have the talent to is a big part of why we're just a bubble team. Having 1 of them in the top 6 next year would be manageable (especially if Rads wants to join the party in place of Boedker), but ideally they'd both start next year playing on a big and skilled 3rd line alongside Soderberg/Iginla/Matthias/Comeau/Compher.

Ultimately there's still too much up in the air at this point to guess what's realistic. Do we get into the playoffs/put up a strong enough fight for the core guys to stick around? Can we sign MacK & Barrie to deals that fit #structure? Where is the Cap going to land? Are the UFA wingers going to be interested in us and how much will they want? In the case of Rads in particular, will he want an immediate 3-4 year deal for good money, or will he want a 1 year deal first so he can feel it out before committing the rest of his world-class years? Do we dump any of Holden/Gelinas/Mitchell/Berra/Comeau? Does Iginla wave his NMC for any team? If he does can the teams he'd wave for and that'd want him (i'm staring at you LA) afford to bring him in with only 1.5M or less retained? Does Stuart go on LTIR? Does Compher sign an ELC? Does Matthias come back for Malkin-money, or is he looking for Comeau-money+? Is there a good fit in UFA for that 3rd pairing RD spot, who wouldn't require a silly salary; if so can we squeeze them in after the bigger piece/open up that money without moving a big piece? How these (and other) questions play out will have a huge influence over what happens this offseason.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Mackinnon gets bridged it will be the most expensive bridge deal of all time. Probably 5mil+ . He said he wants to sign long term though and the Avs would be stupid not to want the same thing so my guess is that's what happens.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
In all honesty what do you pay MacKinnon? He didn't show something that would suggest you'd have to pay him 7 or more long term. Matt Duchene for instance showed much more when he got his deal. Of course Matt signed his deal after his 5th season in the league, but still Matt's first three years have been better than Nate's IMHO.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In all honesty what do you pay MacKinnon? He didn't show something that would suggest you'd have to pay him 7 or more long term. Matt Duchene for instance showed much more when he got his deal. Of course Matt signed his deal after his 5th season in the league, but still Matt's first three years have been better than Nate's IMHO.

I agree. I would honestly be fine giving him 7-7.5 million long term because I can see the potential but he certainly hasn't earned it yet. Because of this maybe his side starts the negotiations at 7 million but they end up somewhere in the 6 range which would be an absolute steal long term.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Another thing that crossed my mind is that the Avs surely won't sign a D-man this year, at least not an impact one, given the expansion draft in their sights. As it is they just have to protect EJ and Tyson, with Frankie being the 3rd one most likely given that the PA will never allow players with NMC's to enter the draft.

If you protect those three, you have Z on the outside. As others have suggested I think the Avalanche will opt for the option of protecting 8 skaters and one goalie, and the list will most likely look like others posted in various threads here:

Landeskog
Duchene
MacKinnon
EJ
Barrie
Zadorov
Beauchemin
Grigorenko

Varlamov/Pickard

It will be interesting to watch what happens, as I think that the market for defensemen will be especially quiet.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Another thing that crossed my mind is that the Avs surely won't sign a D-man this year, at least not an impact one, given the expansion draft in their sights. As it is they just have to protect EJ and Tyson, with Frankie being the 3rd one most likely given that the PA will never allow players with NMC's to enter the draft.

If you protect those three, you have Z on the outside. As others have suggested I think the Avalanche will opt for the option of protecting 8 skaters and one goalie, and the list will most likely look like others posted in various threads here:

Landeskog
Duchene
MacKinnon
EJ
Barrie
Zadorov
Beauchemin
Grigorenko

Varlamov/Pickard

It will be interesting to watch what happens, as I think that the market for defensemen will be especially quiet.

The PA may not have a choice. The SPC doesn't protect expansion draft, and with the rules the way they are, Chicago may screw the whole thing up if they can't give up a NMC player.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The PA may not have a choice. The SPC doesn't protect expansion draft, and with the rules the way they are, Chicago may screw the whole thing up if they can't give up a NMC player.

Point taken, it's just so much up in the air, for the Avs it would be ideal if they weren't forced to protect Beauchemin.

Then they could protect:

Landeskog
Duchene
Nate
Grigorenko
Soderberg - could be lost due to the cap percentage rule
FA
FA

EJ
Barrie
Zadorov

Varlamov/Pickard

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well and with the expansion draft and having to protect Zadorov on the horizon... they will want to know exactly what they have in him at the NHL level. I can see the Avs adding a bottom pairing RD sort that is more of a 6/7, but I doubt they add a big name there this summer.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Point taken, it's just so much up in the air, for the Avs it would be ideal if they weren't forced to protect Beauchemin.

Then they could protect:

Landeskog
Duchene
Nate
Grigorenko
Soderberg - could be lost due to the cap percentage rule
FA
FA

EJ
Barrie
Zadorov

Varlamov/Pickard
Is it really ideal though? When you look at the Avs only, I agree it is but if you look at the entire league in general it might be better for the Avs if teams are forced to protect their NMCs. Now I'm saying this without much research so take that with a grain of salt but due to the Avs' lack of depth and considering they have only one NMC the Avs can protect most of their important players. teams that have more NMCs and better depth than the Avs will have some very good players available. That's the way I see it anyway. I might be wrong...wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad