Avery fighting a fighter

chip chipperson*

In what reading-miscomprehension scenario does the word "joke" when describing Avery necessarily mean on-ice suspensions? This came up in the whole Cooke mega-post. Avery crosses the line extensively and shares the ignominious designation with Cooke of having a rule enacted just for him. 6 games for "sloppy seconds" during an interview. As bad as Cooke? Not even close. Still a joke to this league? I think so.

so avery is in the same joke category that repeat offending head hunters are in because he said sloppy seconds? not buying it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
fun fact...check out the outcome the last time boogy man and gillies fought.

boogaard only got punches to the body and shoulder pad, gillies popped boogaards helmet off. besides, i could care less, we have an excellent heavyweight fighter for 1/3 the cost! and without concussion/shoulder issues.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
I dislike avery alot. But all Haley did was punch him in the back of the head,you can see the cut was from when they both went to the ice.

schmieder44

Aug 3, 2005
boogaard only got punches to the body and shoulder pad, gillies popped boogaards helmet off. besides, i could care less, we have an excellent heavyweight fighter for 1/3 the cost! and without concussion/shoulder issues.

Yea when not suspended for attempting to injure other players :D

Kaoz*

Good on Avery, looks like he's been dropping em more this season, has fought guys like Clarkson, Asham and Haley.

As much as the guys a ********* he doesn't injure folks, and has some skill to add to that agitation. You hate him, but you love to hate him.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Take away the Smid incident and Avery is usually a straight up decent fighter. When he was a LA King he fought quite a bit and really didn't dodge anyone except McGrattan and Hordichuk who he had no business fighting anyways.

7ytluom

Mar 30, 2011
BC
Avery isn't a fighter. He lost a fight he wasn't going to win, big deal.
The guy plays to win. Nothing wrong with that. Sure the beak in the interview about the sloppy seconds was crossing the line. But screening Brodeur the way he did was just to get him (Brodeur) off his game and it worked. It may have been over the top but the bottom line was that the Rangers won. Avery doesn't act like a tough guy/fighter he never has. He is an agitator, clearly the best in the NHL, look at all of you guys pissed off at him.
Also, Avery tries to fight "non-fighters" to help his team out. Take their worthwhile players off the ice instead of scrapping some "heavyweight" duster that is a league-wide joke. See: Trevor Gillies

Last edited:

straka91*

I love Haley but no way could he handle Boogaard. Yes he fought Fritz but Fritz is all size and little fight/balance. Kinda like Vlabik.

RoseTintedVisor

Frans Nielsen?!?!?
Feb 25, 2009
bklyn
I love the trolltastic comments in this thread like 'Avery gets hotter girls than you'. Profound analysis from keyboard warriors.

mcsauer2738

Apr 1, 2011
lol at the creator of this thread. Avery has fought plenty of fighters this season. and for all the people that whine about avery always surprising people, if haley didn't come out of nowhere and already have avery lined up then idk what he did.

RoseTintedVisor

Frans Nielsen?!?!?
Feb 25, 2009
bklyn
lol at the creator of this thread. Avery has fought plenty of fighters this season. and for all the people that whine about avery always surprising people, if haley didn't come out of nowhere and already have avery lined up then idk what he did.

Oh come on. Avery went for his patented quick glove schuck and whirl around firing not knowing who was jawing him from behind. He caught a few fists with his face for his trouble.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip

Haley didn't throw a sucker punch or anything like that. It was fair and Avery's eye liner was streaming down his face. Avery knew what he was in for and took the fight which i give him credit.

Avery was messing with a rookie who is not a fighter and once again our team backs up its players.

Can you provide the list of fighters Avery has taken on? Not being sarcastic just wondering

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
I love Haley but no way could he handle Boogaard. Yes he fought Fritz but Fritz is all size and little fight/balance. Kinda like Vlabik.

Haley is 5"9 there is now way he could handle Boogy nor should he have to since Boogy is a heavy weight. And for all NYR talking about NYI goons...look who you signed in the offseason and haley can play hockey

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
I don't want to hear about Avery fighting Clarkson. He "fought" Clarkson 2x in his career.

The first time, Clarkson took him

Still, Avery fought him and stood his ground decently.

Then for the next 3 years Clarkson continually tried to get Avery to fight, with Avery avoiding him...

That's his move... he shakes his glove, trying to get the other guy to instigate first.

They "fought" a second time. Really, i'm pretty sure Avery was trying to goat Clarkson into another instigator... while shaking his gloves. Pretty sure the refs told him he had to drop the gloves.

You can say I'm biased, but I don't think so. It looks like Avery doesn't want to fight... and takes an exaggerated swing w/ his right hand... and continues to follow through / Fall down to end the fight. I know, momentum and all... but that's what i see there. And considering they hadn't fought for 3 years (and they play eachother A LOT), that's what i'm going to believe.

And listen, yea Clarkson is bigger. I understand that... i wouldn't find Clarkson either. But I'm sick of hearing how he "takes on Clarkson." He doesn't, he's scared to fight him again. He'll go after Kovalchuk, who is bigger than Clarkson.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Guess Hamonic can't fight his own battles.

Good one. Hamonic is a good WHL boy who can throw'em when the time is right. He's flushed more courage down the toilet this morning than Avery has ever had in his life. Hamonic could kick the absolute **** out of 99% of NHL'ers his age, as a rookie that's enough.

Good to see Haley make an absolute fool out of Avery.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I don't want to hear about Avery fighting Clarkson. He "fought" Clarkson 2x in his career.

The first time, Clarkson took him

Still, Avery fought him and stood his ground decently.

Then for the next 3 years Clarkson continually tried to get Avery to fight, with Avery avoiding him...

That's his move... he shakes his glove, trying to get the other guy to instigate first.

They "fought" a second time. Really, i'm pretty sure Avery was trying to goat Clarkson into another instigator... while shaking his gloves. Pretty sure the refs told him he had to drop the gloves.

You can say I'm biased, but I don't think so. It looks like Avery doesn't want to fight... and takes an exaggerated swing w/ his right hand... and continues to follow through / Fall down to end the fight. I know, momentum and all... but that's what i see there. And considering they hadn't fought for 3 years (and they play eachother A LOT), that's what i'm going to believe.

And listen, yea Clarkson is bigger. I understand that... i wouldn't find Clarkson either. But I'm sick of hearing how he "takes on Clarkson." He doesn't, he's scared to fight him again. He'll go after Kovalchuk, who is bigger than Clarkson.

The only reason why he was doing that was because torts wouldve rode his ass to the pine. He was taking bad penalties all season long and torts wanted none of it. Torts neutered avery, hes a no nonsense coach and my bet is avery wont be on the team next year.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Check out some of his fight card over the last 4 seasons:

-Asham
-Hendricks
-Tootoo
-Clarkson (x2)
-Hartnell (x2)
-Carcillo
-Tucker (x2)
-Scott Walker
-Mike Richards (x2)
-Kaleta
-Malone
-Laperriere

Avery is a buck 85... If there's some notion that he only fights non-fighters or guys smaller than him, the above pretty much squashes that.... That being said, I would not consider him an above average fighter and I think he's pretty much a fringe 3rd/4th line player in terms of playing hockey, at this point in his career.... If the Rangers send him to the AHL next season or try to shop him, they won't miss a beat on the ice....

As quoted by Wolfgaze, Here you go MTK this is his fight card the last 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad