Average Junior player, Good/Great NHLer

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
It's pretty hard to do this because most players played overager years, and most players who play overager years generally get PPG

Last edited:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I would disagree on Milan Lucic. I watched him play here in Vancouver and he was great during his draft year. Good scouts notice this, and the Bruins have good scouts (rather, probably one or two good scouts in the area (actually, speaking of, i think the scout based in vancouver, who just had the cup on display at rogers arena for the public, probably recommended lucic)).

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Jamie Benn.

Was pretty average when he was with the Grizzlies of the BCHL, I was surprised he was drafted and Bozak wasn't (seeing as Tyler had 111 points).

Latex*

Ruuttu was a very impressive junior. At the time if there would be any doubt he wouldn't have been drafted at all.

Yeah, after his SM-Liiga years. He came out of nowhere to play with Javanainen in Ässät.

Not that big Junior star though.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Jamie Benn.

Was pretty average when he was with the Grizzlies of the BCHL, I was surprised he was drafted and Bozak wasn't (seeing as Tyler had 111 points).

Maybe he wasn't great in the BCHL but his two years in the WHL were very good and he made the World Junior team. Far from average.

I think this thread is proving average Junior players don't become good NHLers, EVER.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Chara

In Zdeno Chara's first, and only, WHL season he scored 22 pts in 49 games. Not horrible, but certainly not what you'd expect from a future 40-50 point blueliner in the NHL.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Do goalies count? And how about goalies that didn't play in North america.

i would put Halak in this group. He was also drafted in the last round

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Ville Leino? He did have 72 points in 26 games in the Jr. A Division 1 (2nd highest Junior Level in Finland), but I don't follow the Division 1 that much to know if that's extremely good or not, he did play with men that season too, but then again they played in the 3rd highest level in Finland that time.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7418

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ville Leino? He did have 72 points in 26 games in the Jr. A Division 1 (2nd highest Junior Level in Finland), but I don't follow the Division 1 that much to know if that's extremely good or not, he did play with men that season too, but then again they played in the 3rd highest level in Finland that time.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7418

With Leino's stats in Finland, I expected him to be more of a PPG player than he is. In my opinion, he hasn't lived up to his potential, but it's also possible that he's just a late bloomer.
Time will tell.

While I may disagree with it, I would actually argue that Blake Comeau is a better example of what the question is asking, even though he was pretty good his last year of CHL eligibility.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Mark Messier barely played in the CHL, and had less than stellar numbers in a lower league.

He was over a PPG in Tier II as 15 year old, put up a little better numbers as a 16 year old, was in the WHA at 17 and then in the NHL at 18 and 19. So by the time he was no longer junior age he had two full NHL seasons and a season of its rival league. Hardly an average junior player.

Alex Burrows is actually a pretty good example. Didn't make major junior until he was 19 and only put up 30 points and then as an overager put up 70 points. 70 points in the early 00's QMJHL from an overager is hardly overly impressive. Burrows had two teammates Bellemarre and Pominville top 120 points and a defenseman tied his 70 points all on the same team.

Latex*

With Leino's stats in Finland, I expected him to be more of a PPG player than he is. In my opinion, he hasn't lived up to his potential, but it's also possible that he's just a late bloomer.
Time will tell.

While I may disagree with it, I would actually argue that Blake Comeau is a better example of what the question is asking, even though he was pretty good his last year of CHL eligibility.

Ehh, are you serious?! Leino came out of nowhere here in Finland. He never shined in the Juniors.

He meets every criteria Of this thread perfectly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad