Average Junior player, Good/Great NHLer

The Perfect Human*

Ryan Clowe was a pretty average player in the QMJHL given the way future NHLers were scoring in that league.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Patrice Bergeron played one full season in the QMJHL where he averaged just over a point per game. I'd say he turned out okay.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=62238

what is an average Junior Player? i think a point a game is better than average. I would think as a forward the average would be around 40 points. But i do not know this for a fact just guessing.

Last year he would of been in the top 20 in scoring with a point a game.

Last edited:

Nate Mookie

Sep 13, 2008
Hanson, MA
what is an average Junior Player? i think a point a game is better than average. I would think as a forward the average would be around 40 points. But i do not know this for a fact just guessing.

Last year he would of been in the top 20 in scoring with a point a game.

I see where you're coming from, and I did have the same thought, but to me (and I'm probably wrong) his stats from that year don't strike me as anything special. It's certainly not the best example of 'meh' junior player and great NHLer and there will be better examples in this thread.

Teuehikan

Jul 28, 2009
Brandon Dubinsky was not ''incredible'' in WHL but maybe more than average.

Same with Ryan Callahan who got a great final years in OHL but less then PPG before that.

Shea Weber was not a great offensive threat in WHL.

GM17*

I can't think of too many, but I can think of many prominent junior players who had average to abysmal NHL careers

Yashin

Jan 1, 2011
Fort McMurray
Don't know much abOut the Russian league, but Datsyuk had 32 points in 46 games his draft year, the 4 points in 15 games his next season.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I see where you're coming from, and I did have the same thought, but to me (and I'm probably wrong) his stats from that year don't strike me as anything special. It's certainly not the best example of 'meh' junior player and great NHLer and there will be better examples in this thread.

It was his draft year (and first in the Q to boot)! I'm guessing there was less than 10 guys his age to be a point a game player that year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Daniel Alfredsson never had as much as a point a game in any season in Sweden. He now has 1000 points and 8 seasons in the NHL with more than a PPG.

As noted by another poster above, Shea Weber only became an offensive threat at the NHL level.

Duncan Keith was far from an offensive beast in college hockey.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
How about Rene Bourque? Never touched a PPG in a season at Wisconsin (his best was 36 points in 42 games as a senior) and only had 97 points in 152 career games. Has scored pretty good in the NHL the last three seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad