Avengers Endgame spoiler thread - stay out if you haven't seen the movie

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The slower parts at the beginning needed to happen to show the total loss and failure that literally every surviving Avenger felt after the snap. That sense of loss fuels the revenge that builds to the final battle so well.

That final message from Tony almost got me. I have a young daughter too and when his final words were to her I almost started bawling in the theater.

I went in not wanting to see any of the Avengers die but after seeing Stark’s death it just completes Tony Stark’s massive character arc so perfectly. Really well done.

Also, please tell me I’m not the only one that was disappointed that we only got the brief scene with Korg and Meek in Thor’s house.

Sep 19, 2008
The slower parts at the beginning needed to happen to show the total loss and failure that literally every surviving Avenger felt after the snap. That sense of loss fuels the revenge that builds to the final battle so well.

That final message from Tony almost got me. I have a young daughter too and when his final words were to her I almost started bawling in the theater.

I went in not wanting to see any of the Avengers die but after seeing Stark’s death it just completes Tony Stark’s massive character arc so perfectly. Really well done.

Also, please tell me I’m not the only one that was disappointed that we only got the brief scene with Korg and Meek in Thor’s house.

Every Thor scene was gold. Fat drunk Thor GOAT.

Biggest issue I had is the rat triggering the quantum portal. Really? Ant Man gets released from his quantum prison because a rat just pressed buttons? :laugh:

"how is Scott going to get out of this jam...he's stuck in a portal....oh a rat just walks all over the panel and frees him." Very anti-climactic.

Reactions: Engebretson

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

We really didn't need to see Cap attend a support group meeting

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
It was an insane roller coaster of emotions. It was a satisfying end to this era and capped off by the man who started it all. I loved it 3000. :cry:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
We really didn't need to see Cap attend a support group meeting

First of all, I’m pretty sure he hosts it... but nonetheless, that scene was an example of him trying to cope with everything that’s happened. It shows how people are trying to move on, and he’s trying to help them... but even though he tries to do that, he still hasn’t moved on. It’s character depth. Adds emotional weight to the movie and what they’re all going through.

Some may not like character depth. But not us.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
First of all, I’m pretty sure he hosts it... but nonetheless, that scene was an example of him trying to cope with everything that’s happened. It shows how people are trying to move on, and he’s trying to help them... but even though he tries to do that, he still hasn’t moved on. It’s character depth. Adds emotional weight to the movie and what they’re all going through.

Some may not like character depth. But not us.

I certainly didn't need that scene to understand the magnitude of their loss

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest issue I had is the rat triggering the quantum portal. Really? Ant Man gets released from his quantum prison because a rat just pressed buttons? :laugh:

"how is Scott going to get out of this jam...he's stuck in a portal....oh a rat just walks all over the panel and frees him." Very anti-climactic.

It would be a huge stretch of a plot for any other movie. But everything that happened in the Endgame was set up in advance in the Infinity war. Doctor Strange checked a lot of the parallel timelines / realities and found that one where this rat pressed the buttons in the right order.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Finally. I'm sick of typing out spoiler tags.

Got a free ticket from a friend who's friend had to bail so saw it a third time. Cried after Tony's video message again.

Still give Endgame that slight edge over Infinity War.

I'm emotionally exhausted and I don't know how the hell I'm going to handle GoT S8E3 tomorrow.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think that the issue is that the first two hours of Endgame are badly paced. I think the issue is that the first two hours are a drama almost like a throwback and most people these days are not watching a drama. My brother I know for example hasn't seen a full on drama since I think Manchester By The Sea a couple years ago and he hated that.

Also I remember listening to a podcast (Puck Soup) and they said that Brie Larson was miscast as Captain Marvel (saying that they thought Emily Blunt would've been a good choice, not sure). She sounded flat (which is true). And while she looks great (I want that short haircut), you need someone with maybe more charisma in that role. Either way, they gotta figure her out. The lack of integration with her in the story was annoying until she just shows up at the end but somewhat inexcusable in this case when you have 20+ characters.

I can't really say I was sad at all after the movie about Tony dying (or Black Widow). It was an emotional moment in the actual film obviously but it didn't feel abrupt, it felt like Tony's time was up and we've seen Black Widow go through a lot as well.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Let's be honest, Black Widow should've died dozens of times throughout the films we've seen her in

She was living on borrowed time

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
So many great moments in this movie. Sooo freaking many, man. Easily the best MCU film to date, and considering all the things it had to juggle, the amount of quality films they've released before and the expectations they had to meet; it's saying a lot. I enjoyed every minute of it. It's the MCU film with the most character, the most heart, the most epic action... it had everything. Amazing, amazing film.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Let's be honest, Black Widow should've died dozens of times throughout the films we've seen her in

She was living on borrowed time

Agreed. On a team of beings with incredible powers she does have excellent martial arts skills, weapons skills, etc, but at the end of the day nothing that any special forces people or highly trained assassins have. An above-average human but nowhere on the level of the other Avengers or many of their enemies. Hawkeye fits into that mold as well too.

Speaking of those two, I'm curious what their strategy was for Vormir and the Soul Stone. It's like they were surprised when they found out what had to be done. They knew where to go, etc. from Nebula...but they weren't briefed that oh by the way, if you want the stone one of you isn't coming back. That point wasn't touched on at all. Nebula clearly knows how it works as she said in IW. But it seemed like a total surprise to them.

The rest of the movie was good but not great I thought. Very slow at the beginning, to the point I dozed here or there. Agree on the points above that I also didn't need the depth-building scenes. I'd have rather seen a discussion on how to get the Soul Stone vs. the support group. And why did New York look like everyone had died and not just half? In SF why did some houses still have trash piled in the streets five years later? Did all the garbage men get snapped?

Some scenes were really wonderful but some were like why? The scene with all the females fighting Thanos was a bit ridiculous, completely unlike the similar scene in IW which worked well and didn't seem forced in just to make some kind of statement.

The ending was ok. Solid exit for Stark although I'd put money down we'll see him again in some cameo role in future films. i.e. like Tony AI or interactive holograms, etc. The Cap ending raises too many questions but still was ok. Anyway it was a good finish to the Thanos storyline. Since probably 95% of the characters in the film we'll see again in future installments, it really didn't feel like an ending.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of those two, I'm curious what their strategy was for Vormir and the Soul Stone. It's like they were surprised when they found out what had to be done. They knew where to go, etc. from Nebula...but they weren't briefed that oh by the way, if you want the stone one of you isn't coming back. That point wasn't touched on at all. Nebula clearly knows how it works as she said in IW. But it seemed like a total surprise to them.

In the reality of the movie the only two characters who actually knew what happened with Gamora and how to get the Soul stone are Thanos and Red Skull. None of them explained it to Avengers, except this:

It's quite hard to guess that: "I had to" = "you need to sacrifice one person you love to get the stone".

I mean it's much easier to make a guess like this: "I had to" = "She betrayed me, I punished her". Which is what Avengers probably did.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hooray no more spoiler tags.

Still yeeting about Cap + Mjolnir 24 hours later. That scene is easily my favourite in the MCU now. My reaction was ridiculous and I’ll never forget it lol.

I’m really excited about the next chapter of the MCU now, especially Captain Marvel 2, GOTG 3, and whatever they do with Falcon now that he has the shield. I sure am gonna miss the O6 though.

Reactions: Hypernova

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I just got home from it. That's how you close a book on a movie saga. Super well done.

That final battle scene is imo one of the best built up moments i've seen in any movie. Super slow burn with starting the movie showing Hawkeye losing everything, then showing how everyone is trying to cope/live with their new reality thinking they truly had lost, then getting the old band back together, etc etc.

The endings were super contrasted in a great way too. The sad, but expected ending of Tony dying contrasted with Cap getting the happy ending that was essentially taken away from him because he was frozen. Closes both stories perfectly and writes both guys out of the universe with grace.

The only thing i couldn't wrap my head around is when everyone comes back for the final showdown, how do they, like know what they must do? It's implied when you got Thanos'd, you're dead, and if they reset his reality, wouldn't that mean they'd have no knowledge of what happened since Thanos never gets that far?

****ing time travel, how does it work?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Hooray no more spoiler tags.

Still yeeting about Cap + Mjolnir 24 hours later. That scene is easily my favourite in the MCU now. My reaction was ridiculous and I’ll never forget it lol.

I’m really excited about the next chapter of the MCU now, especially Captain Marvel 2, GOTG 3, and whatever they do with Falcon now that he has the shield. I sure am gonna miss the O6 though.

If Thor is included in GOTG 3 i am so down since that's kinda hinted at. :laugh:

I need more no ****s given beer gut hippy thor in my life.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I enjoyed seeing the gang from Ragnarok. It still is my favourite Marvel movie . Sad a movie with this much hype couldn’t surpass it .

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
In the reality of the movie the only two characters who actually knew what happened with Gamora and how to get the Soul stone are Thanos and Red Skull. None of them explained it to Avengers, except this:

It's quite hard to guess that: "I had to" = "you need to sacrifice one person you love to get the stone".

I mean it's much easier to make a guess like this: "I had to" = "She betrayed me, I punished her". Which is what Avengers probably did.

Nebula seems to know how the "system" works. She says he (Thanos) took Gamora to Vormir, and he came back with the Soul Stone but she didn't. That seemed to imply she knew exactly what happened, that Thanos killed her i.e. traded her in for the Soul Stone. The fact that wasn't even brought up seemed very odd. Lucky for the team that the two assigned to get the Soul Stone had some kind of personal relationship. Whether it was love is another matter but at least they had a strong friendship. What if for example Rocket and Hulk had gotten that mission? Or Nebula and Cap? They'd be SOL.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I absolutely adored the first act. Ir was emotionally charged and well-done. It was not supposed to feel good or entertaining. It was made dark and heavy... and it works. They sprinkled aome corny humor in their without destroying the overall tone. Great job Russos.

Reactions: HanSolo

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think that the issue is that the first two hours of Endgame are badly paced. I think the issue is that the first two hours are a drama almost like a throwback and most people these days are not watching a drama. My brother I know for example hasn't seen a full on drama since I think Manchester By The Sea a couple years ago and he hated that.

Also I remember listening to a podcast (Puck Soup) and they said that Brie Larson was miscast as Captain Marvel (saying that they thought Emily Blunt would've been a good choice, not sure). She sounded flat (which is true). And while she looks great (I want that short haircut), you need someone with maybe more charisma in that role. Either way, they gotta figure her out. The lack of integration with her in the story was annoying until she just shows up at the end but somewhat inexcusable in this case when you have 20+ characters.

I can't really say I was sad at all after the movie about Tony dying (or Black Widow). It was an emotional moment in the actual film obviously but it didn't feel abrupt, it felt like Tony's time was up and we've seen Black Widow go through a lot as well.

Well she was kind of pregnant at the time so not exactly available. I think I read somewhere as well that she wasn't interested. Also she's a bit too old at 36. You need someone young enough to carry the franchise for 10-12 years and at 29, Brie's the right age ScarJo was 24 when she started as Black Widow). I also said in the other thread several times, that Russos and Brie's hand were tied because Captain Marvel's script wasn't finished yet and the movie was shot after Endgame. Had that not been the case, there's a lot more they could have done with her. But, I was pleased with what they were able to do. I can see her powers being explored more in CM 2 unless she makes an appearance before that in another Phase 4 movie (maybe Shuri in Wakanda does some tests on her).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad